Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Still Waters

A Russian historian has come up with a new theory about the legend that the French Emperor Napoleon hid wagonloads of stolen treasure during his disastrous retreat from Moscow in 1812.

Viacheslav Ryzhkov says treasure-hunters have been looking in the wrong place for 200 years, and told his local Rabochy Put newspaper that they should turn their attention to his home town of Rudnya, near the border with Belarus.

There have been persistent rumours for over 200 years that Napoleon's defeated Grande Armée made off with 80 tonnes of gold and other valuables that his soldiers had looted in Moscow, and buried it en route back to France when the going got too tough.

No trace of it has ever been found, but Philippe de Ségur, a member of Napoleon's staff, said the treasure was dumped in Lake Semlevo in Smolensk Region.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-46745792

• Like 4

Seriously "Nobody has found it"... What people don't understand is that alot of unsolved "mysteries" are over and done with. The less people who know the better. Would you broadcast finding a gold brick while walking through an open field?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, AllPossible said:

Seriously "Nobody has found it"... What people don't understand is that alot of unsolved "mysteries" are over and done with. The less people who know the better. Would you broadcast finding a gold brick while walking through an open field?

Good point.    I certainly would not tell anyone if I found a treasure.

Only thing is that if some of the jewels would have hit the market, wouldn't they get identified as some that they had taken?   Or maybe not.   I'm not a jewel expert.  

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Myles said:

Good point.    I certainly would not tell anyone if I found a treasure.

Only thing is that if some of the jewels would have hit the market, wouldn't they get identified as some that they had taken?   Or maybe not.   I'm not a jewel expert.  

Well I would equate it to famous stolen paintings or even stolen jewelry with serial numbers. They're gonna be put on the black market & plenty of people out their are willing to risk selling/moving them. 

50 minutes ago, AllPossible said:

Well I would equate it to famous stolen paintings or even stolen jewelry with serial numbers. They're gonna be put on the black market & plenty of people out their are willing to risk selling/moving them. 

Yeah.   Maybe the jewels would be removed and recut for an easier sale.   Again, I don't know how the jewel market works.   

The gold could easily be melted down and sold in pieces.      

• Like 1