Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Urantia Book Poll

Davros of Skaro

The UB. Made up, or inspired?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Urantia Book fact, or fake?

• Real channeled knowledge ?
    • Person, or people fakery?

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm at the library, I came across the UB, and I never did a poll before.

I have been reading the UB for nearly 3.5 hrs. Holy freaken moley! Joseph Smith, and L Ron Hubbard eat your heart out...

I better stop reading before brain damage sets in. It's funny they used junk 19th century scholarship to give the birth of Mithras as December 25th. 

Any way this is my first poll. 

UB real channeled knowledge from divine space cadets, or people making stuff up?

Don't forget it uses the term "space-time" a whole lot so there must be something to it?

"52:1.5 (590.1) Early evolutionary man is not a colorful creature. In general, these primitive mortals are cave dwellers or cliff residents. They also build crude huts in the large trees (just like Ewoks). Before they acquire a high order of intelligence, the planets are sometimes overrun with the larger types of animals. But early in this era mortals learn to kindle and maintain fire, and with the increase of inventive imagination and the improvement in tools, evolving man soon vanquishes the larger and more unwieldy animals. The early races also make extensive use of the larger flying animals. These enormous birds are able to carry one or two average-sized men for a nonstop flight of over five hundred miles (just like the Flintstones). On some planets these birds are of great service since they possess a high order of intelligence, often being able to speak many words of the languages of the realm (usually complaining about their menial tasks just like the animals in the Flintstones). These birds are most intelligent, very obedient, and unbelievably affectionate. Such passenger birds have been long extinct on Urantia, but your early ancestors enjoyed their services (there was tree bark art of this, but thus evidence rotted away).

52:1.6 (590.2) Man’s acquirement of ethical judgment, moral will, is usually coincident with the appearance of early language. Upon attaining the human level, after this emergence of mortal will, these beings become receptive to the temporary indwelling of the divine Adjusters (wink wink), and upon death many are duly elected as survivors and sealed by the archangels for subsequent resurrection and Spirit fusion. The archangels always accompany the Planetary Princes, and a dispensational adjudication of the realm is simultaneous with the prince’s arrival.

52:1.7 (590.3) All mortals who are indwelt by Thought Adjusters (wink wink) are potential worshipers; they have been “lighted by the true light,” and they possess capacity for seeking reciprocal contact with divinity. Nevertheless, the early or biologic religion of primitive man is largely a persistence of animal fear coupled with ignorant awe and tribal superstition. The survival of superstition in the Urantia races is hardly complimentary to your evolutionary development nor compatible with your otherwise splendid achievements in material progress. But this early fear religion serves a very valuable purpose in subduing the fiery tempers of these primitive creatures (just like the UB uses the fear of death with a hope for possible eternal life). It is the forerunner of civilization and the soil for the subsequent planting of the seeds of revealed religion by the Planetary Prince and his ministers."

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-standardized/paper-52-planetary-mortal-epochs

"45:6.3 (516.1) On the seven mansion worlds ascending mortals are afforded ample opportunities for compensating any and all experiential deprivations suffered on their worlds of origin, whether due to inheritance, environment, or unfortunate premature termination of the career in the flesh. This is in every sense true except in the mortal sex life and its attendant adjustments. Thousands of mortals reach the mansion worlds without having benefited particularly from the disciplines derived from fairly average sex relations on their native spheres. The mansion world experience can provide little opportunity for compensating these very personal deprivations. Sex experience in a physical sense is past for these ascenders, but in close association with the Material Sons and Daughters, both individually and as members of their families, these sex-deficient mortals are enabled to compensate the social, intellectual, emotional, and spiritual aspects of their deficiency. Thus are all those humans whom circumstances or bad judgment deprived of the benefits of advantageous sex association on the evolutionary worlds, here on the system capitals afforded full opportunity to acquire these essential mortal experiences in close and loving association with the supernal Adamic sex creatures of permanent residence on the system capitals.

45:6.4 (516.2) No surviving mortal, midwayer, or seraphim may ascend to Paradise, attain the Father, and be mustered into the Corps of the Finality without having passed through that sublime experience of achieving parental relationship to an evolving child of the worlds or some other experience analogous and equivalent thereto. The relationship of child and parent is fundamental to the essential concept of the Universal Father and his universe children. Therefore does such an experience become indispensable to the experiential training of all ascenders.

45:6.5 (516.3) The ascending midway creatures and the evolutionary seraphim must pass through this parenthood experience in association with the Material Sons and Daughters of the system headquarters. Thus do such nonreproducing ascenders obtain the experience of parenthood by assisting the Jerusem Adams and Eves in rearing and training their progeny.

45:6.6 (516.4) All mortal survivors who have not experienced parenthood on the evolutionary worlds must also obtain this necessary training while sojourning in the homes of the Jerusem Material Sons and as parental associates of these superb fathers and mothers. This is true except in so far as such mortals have been able to compensate their deficiencies on the system nursery located on the first transitional-culture world of Jerusem."

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-standardized/paper-45-local-system-administration

Feel free to quote more from the UB after you vote. I'm putting this back on the shelf (though I should scribble in a warning label).

Thanks....

18b23c5f83327e8be5aa0d7640dd30c068b0db181a21c44ec732e48e120d4d23.jpg

download.jpeg

Edited by MERRY DMAS
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

I doubt whether enough people have read the book(or even part of it), to make your poll worthwhile. Xeno's right, more options are needed. 

edit to say: I have the book and have had several goes at reading it but just can't get into it at all; not even enough to say whether it is genuine or not.

Edited by ouija ouija
  • Confused 1

I once read the first few chapters on the "history" of the world :lol:     It's slightly more accurate than Ken Hovind's idea of dinosaurs being ridden by humans 6,000 years ago.  But only just ....   

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

are those quotes from the actual book itself? When was this supposedly written? 

57 minutes ago, MERRY DMAS said:

unfortunate premature termination of the career in the flesh.

is a terrific euphemism. "An inadvertent overdose of this medicine may result in unfortunate premature termination of the career in the flesh.". :mellow: 

• Haha 5

61:7.9 150,000 years ago the sixth and last glacier reached its farthest points of southern extension, the western ice sheet crossing just over the Canadian border; the central coming down into Kansas, Missouri, and Illinois; the eastern sheet advancing south and covering the greater portion of Pennsylvania and Ohio.

61:7.10 This is the glacier that sent forth the many tongues, or ice lobes, which carved out the present-day lakes, great and small. During its retreat the North American system of Great Lakes was produced. And Urantian geologists have very accurately deduced the various stages of this development and have correctly surmised that these bodies of water did, at different times, empty first into the Mississippi valley, then eastward into the Hudson valley, and finally by a northern route into the St. Lawrence. It is thirty-seven thousand years since the connected Great Lakes system began to empty out over the present Niagara route.

61:7.11 100,000 years ago, during the retreat of the last glacier, the vast polar ice sheets began to form, and the center of ice accumulation moved considerably northward. And as long as the polar regions continue to be covered with ice, it is hardly possible for another glacial age to occur, regardless of future land elevations or modification of ocean currents.

61:7.12 This last glacier was one hundred thousand years advancing, and it required a like span of time to complete its northern retreat. The temperate regions have been free from the ice for a little over fifty thousand years.

Say no more ;) 

Edit: for more laughs https://truthbook.com/urantia-book/urantia-book-online

Edited by Essan
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

I went through a UB period and read it cover to cover. It is interesting, beautifully written (I relate to words heavily and appreciated that about it), and seriously (Olympic grade) heavy going, but, I did not find it compelling or persuasive. I moved on, and considered it just a survey of another resource popular in my time. Book of Mormon, The Dianetics stuff, a lot of ideas and revelations have been circulated by people wanting to start a new religion. I devoured them all on my journey. It was hard to get a copy in the 70s unless you could afford 40 bucks for one. In college, working part time for 2 bucks an hour, that is a lot of money. I got one, and studied it hard before I made up my mind about it.

I do not see a need to bash or mock it. Other people's beliefs do not bother me much unless they start blowing people and things up. 

The UB is not truth for *ME*, but, it isn't for me to say it is not useful for others, if only in providing some ideas which enhance their sense of understanding What Is. So, I didn't vote in the limited options offered on this poll. Matters of faith and belief are not often black and white or yes or no. At the end of the day, the UB will not ever stand as anything major in the progression of religious and spiritual thought of the masses, IMO. No matter what religious book you hold up for "yes or no", not one will get "Truth" ratings across the board. 

In the 70s, its appeal was a first, major, written out different viewpoint in full offered to a generation of kids who were struggling to either head for the Jesus Freak Movement or Satanism as the extremes then circulating around in teen thought. Most fell between the two "new" ideas and the UB was a neato intro to the idea of there being a lot more going on than just death and God and heaven or hell for most of us then. It offered a big book to read for those who felt the Bible was security. Like the Bible, it was not read by most, and less so for those the more they did drugs. Its system was also needlessly complex. It was a tiny movement then and remains so. 

I gave my copy away a long time ago and never really looked back. There is nothing in it to threaten anybody. 

JMO

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I heard that the UB was huge. But it is a thick dense book. Of course it says the old scriptures are corrupted, and puts it's own spin on things.

There's also a myriad of all sorts of assorted beings.

The Urantia Book

Paper 190

Morontia Appearances of Jesus

"190:0.1 (2029.1) THE resurrected Jesus now prepares to spend a short period on Urantia for the purpose of experiencing the ascending morontia career of a mortal of the realms. Although this time of the morontia life is to be spent on the world of his mortal incarnation, it will, however, be in all respects the counterpart of the experience of Satania mortals who pass through the progressive morontia life of the seven mansion worlds of Jerusem.

190:0.2 (2029.2) All this power which is inherent in Jesus—the endowment of life—and which enabled him to rise from the dead, is the very gift of eternal life which he bestows upon kingdom believers, and which even now makes certain their resurrection from the bonds of natural death.

190:0.3 (2029.3) The mortals of the realms will arise in the morning of the resurrection with the same type of transition or morontia body that Jesus had when he arose from the tomb on this Sunday morning. These bodies do not have circulating blood, and such beings do not partake of ordinary material food; nevertheless, these morontia forms are real. When the various believers saw Jesus after his resurrection, they really saw him; they were not the self-deceived victims of visions or hallucinations.

190:0.4 (2029.4) Abiding faith in the resurrection of Jesus was the cardinal feature of the faith of all branches of the early gospel teaching. In Jerusalem, Alexandria, Antioch, and Philadelphia all the gospel teachers united in this implicit faith in the Master’s resurrection.

190:0.5 (2029.5) In viewing the prominent part which Mary Magdalene took in proclaiming the Master’s resurrection, it should be recorded that Mary was the chief spokesman for the women’s corps, as was Peter for the apostles. Mary was not chief of the women workers, but she was their chief teacher and public spokesman. Mary had become a woman of great circumspection, so that her boldness in speaking to a man whom she considered to be the caretaker of Joseph’s garden only indicates how horrified she was to find the tomb empty. It was the depth and agony of her love, the fullness of her devotion, that caused her to forget, for a moment, the conventional restraints of a Jewish woman’s approach to a strange man."

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-standardized/paper-190-morontia-appearances-jesus

"113:0.1 (1241.1) HAVING presented the narratives of the Ministering Spirits of Time and the Messenger Hosts of Space, we come to the consideration of the guardian angels, seraphim devoted to the ministry to individual mortals, for whose elevation and perfection all of the vast survival scheme of spiritual progression has been provided. In past ages on Urantia, these destiny guardians were about the only group of angels that had recognition. The planetary seraphim are indeed ministering spirits sent forth to do service for those who shall survive. These attending seraphim have functioned as the spiritual helpers of mortal man in all the great events of the past and the present. In many a revelation “the word was spoken by angels”; many of the mandates of heaven have been “received by the ministry of angels.”

113:0.2 (1241.2) Seraphim are the traditional angels of heaven; they are the ministering spirits who live so near you and do so much for you. They have ministered on Urantia since the earliest times of human intelligence."

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-standardized/paper-113-seraphic-guardians-destiny

The Messenger Hosts of Space

"25:0.1 (273.1) RANKING intermediately in the family of the Infinite Spirit are the Messenger Hosts of Space. These versatile beings function as the connecting links between the higher personalities and the ministering spirits. The messenger hosts include the following orders of celestial beings:

25:0.2 (273.2) 1. Havona Servitals.

25:0.3 (273.3) 2. Universal Conciliators.

25:0.4 (273.4) 3. Technical Advisers.

25:0.5 (273.5) 4. Custodians of Records on Paradise.

25:0.6 (273.6) 5. Celestial Recorders.

25:0.7 (273.7) 6. Morontia Companions.

25:0.8 (273.8) 7. Paradise Companions.

25:0.9 (273.9) Of the seven groups enumerated, only three—servitals, conciliators, and Morontia Companions—are created as such; the remaining four represent attainment levels of the angelic orders. In accordance with inherent nature and attained status, the messenger hosts variously serve in the universe of universes but always subject to the direction of those who rule the realms of their assignment."

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-standardized/paper-25-messenger-hosts-space

The Planetary Prince of Urantia

"66:0.1 (741.1) THE advent of a Lanonandek Son on an average world signifies that will, the ability to choose the path of eternal survival, has developed in the mind of primitive man. But on Urantia the Planetary Prince arrived almost half a million years after the appearance of human will.

66:0.2 (741.2) About five hundred thousand years ago and concurrent with the appearance of the six colored or Sangik races, Caligastia, the Planetary Prince, arrived on Urantia. There were almost one-half billion primitive human beings on earth at the time of the Prince’s arrival, and they were well scattered over Europe, Asia, and Africa. The Prince’s headquarters, established in Mesopotamia, was at about the center of world population."

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-standardized/paper-66-planetary-prince-urantia

It goes on and on and on....

Psh. Of course it was the first option--that's why I selected it! I mean, it only makes logical sense that these messages were channeled via from enlightened spiritual beings, right!? 

RIGHT!?

Edited by Nuclear Wessel
  • Haha 1

@Nuclear Wessel

That’s right...

You cannot argue against such a solid source as "time-space" ancient aliens.

The Celestial Artisans

"44:0.1 (497.1) AMONG the courtesy colonies of the various divisional and universe headquarters worlds may be found the unique order of composite personalities denominated the celestial artisans. These beings are the master artists and artisans of the morontia and lower spirit realms. They are the spirits and semispirits who are engaged in morontia embellishment and in spiritual beautification. Such artisans are distributed throughout the grand universe—on the headquarters worlds of the superuniverses, the local universes, the constellations, and systems, as well as on all spheres settled in light and life; but their chief realm of activity is in the constellations and especially on the seven hundred seventy worlds surrounding each headquarters sphere. *

44:0.2 (497.2) Though their work may be almost incomprehensible to the material mind, it should be understood that the morontia and spirit worlds are not without their high arts and supernal cultures.

44:0.3 (497.3) The celestial artisans are not created as such; they are a selected and recruited corps of beings composed of certain teacher personalities native to the central universe and their volunteer pupils drawn from the ascending mortals and numerous other celestial groups. The original teaching corps of these artisans was sometime assigned by the Infinite Spirit in collaboration with the Seven Master Spirits and consisted of seven thousand Havona instructors, one thousand to each of the seven divisions of artisans. With such a nucleus to start with, there has developed through the ages this brilliant body of skillful workers in spirit and morontia affairs."

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-standardized/paper-44-celestial-artisans

Edited by MERRY DMAS
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

@Piney

You should post the disparaging treatment your native people get from this book.

1 minute ago, MERRY DMAS said:

@Piney

You should post the disparaging treatment your native people get from this book.

I already took all the bad anthropogy apart in it on several threads here.

I also took the false information on Shintoism apart in it. 

I just have to say. There is no such thing as a "Red Race" and my closest genetic relations are my stepfather's family the Japanese. 

• Like 5

"60:2.1 (687.2) 120,000,000 years ago a new phase of the reptilian age began. The great event of this period was the evolution and decline of the dinosaurs. Land-animal life reached its greatest development, in point of size, and had virtually perished from the face of the earth by the end of this age. The dinosaurs evolved in all sizes from a species less than two feet long up to the huge noncarnivorous dinosaurs, seventy-five feet long, that have never since been equaled in bulk by any living creature.

60:2.2 (687.3) The largest of the dinosaurs originated in western North America. These monstrous reptiles are buried throughout the Rocky Mountain regions, along the whole of the Atlantic coast of North America, over western Europe, South Africa, and India, but not in Australia.

60:2.3 (687.4) These massive creatures became less active and strong as they grew larger and larger; but they required such an enormous amount of food and the land was so overrun by them that they literally starved to death and became extinct—they lacked the intelligence to cope with the situation."

https://www.urantia.org/urantia-book-standardized/paper-60-urantia-during-early-land-life-era

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, MERRY DMAS said:

60:2.3 (687.4) These massive creatures became less active and strong as they grew larger and larger; but they required such an enormous amount of food and the land was so overrun by them that they literally starved to death and became extinct—they lacked the intelligence to cope with the situation."

:lol:

• Haha 3

25 minutes ago, MERRY DMAS said:

25:0.7 (273.7) 6. Morontia Companions.

:lol::lol::lol:

• Haha 3

Only fourteen phyla have appeared on Urantia, the fishes being the last, and no new classes have developed since birds and mammals.

I suppose all the rest were brought here by space aliens?  :lol:

(birds and mammals are, of course, all part of the chordata phylum along with reptiles, fish etc)

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, XenoFish said:

Why does it read like a really bad 1980's scifi movie?

Or even the late 90s ......

v1.bTsxMTIwNDU4MztqOzE3OTk0OzEyMDA7MTIwMDsxNjAw.jpg

• Haha 5

What was I doing?......oh pottering, pottering....yeah ok...

46:7.3 (528.1) Spornagia are not Adjuster indwelt.

:lol: STOP IT!!

ok...

@MERRY DMAS  I was looking for the section on "Primitive Beliefs" and couldn'y find it. Link me up. I'm bored. It's something to do.

Edited by Piney
  • Haha 5

1 hour ago, MERRY DMAS said:

The celestial artisans are not created as such; they are a selected and recruited corps of beings composed of certain teacher personalities native to the central universe and their volunteer pupils drawn from the ascending mortals and numerous other celestial groups. The original teaching corps of these artisans was sometime assigned by the Infinite Spirit in collaboration with the Seven Master Spirits and consisted of seven thousand Havona instructors, one thousand to each of the seven divisions of artisans. With such a nucleus to start with, there has developed through the ages this brilliant body of skillful workers in spirit and morontia affairs."

zpo44.jpg

• Haha 5

Lol Urantia. I've not read it all, because it's friggin' massive and a pile of rambling nonsense. Like Ulysses, but with no literary merit whatsoever.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

19 minutes ago, Piney said:

I was looking for the section on "Primitive Beliefs" and couldn'y find it. Link me up. 

Paper 85 - The Origins of Worship

Paper 86 - Early Evolution of Religion

Paper 87 - The Ghost Cults

Paper 88 - Fetishes, Charms, and Magic

Paper 89 - Sin, Sacrifice, and Atonement

Paper 90 - Shamanism—Medicine Men and Priests

Paper 91 - The Evolution of Prayer

Paper 92 - The Later Evolution of Religion

Paper 93 - Machiventa Melchizedek

When you click any of these links, go to the top of the page and click the Part 3 ^ link if you'd like to see the table of contents.

Edited by Will Due
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Piney said:

I already took all the bad anthropogy apart in it on several threads here.

I also took the false information on Shintoism apart in it. 

I just have to say. There is no such thing as a "Red Race" and my closest genetic relations are my stepfather's family the Japanese. 

Yes, a lot of oddnesses in it. Another big thing to me was the angel Moroni of Mormonism and the place name Morontia, repeating. One can say oh, they are not the same, but I have channeled a long time, worked with a lot of spirits talking and a repeat like this SUGGESTS it is one and the same source thought / point of origin. I cannot explain it well and succinctly for readers not into the same things, but, this is a flag for me they are both same source. Large part of why I set it down, as I do frankly consider the Book of Mormon to be real dubious, so UB ended up in the same file for me as a result. Mind you I was only early 20's and late teens then, but, I still stand by my assessment as a kid of those books. All the colors of races as if they really were those colors, lots of things even back then just announced "NOPE" to me. I am not even going into the Life of Christ stuff in it.

But, this is subjective. UB is new in the delivery but the material is rehashed ideas from several sources in a sci fi format. It is the same voice that tells the first sections, whatever it claims, a second voice tells the Christ bit, all of it under a heavy edit by the same person to my reading ear. I don't follow the "debunking" of this book, but, if I had to make a call on how many worked on it, I would say three main folks, based on the above and how I discern and read material I am studying. This is more of why I finished it and set it aside. 

• Like 3

• The topic was locked