Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Urantia Book Poll

Davros of Skaro

The UB. Made up, or inspired?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Urantia Book fact, or fake?

• Real channeled knowledge ?
    • Person, or people fakery?

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, Will Due said:

Some things have to be earned. 

Read:  "I don't know". Yeah, we got that. 

cormac

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, cormac mac airt said:

Atlantis is a specific place, in a specific location

What if there were things about Atlantis Plato didn't know?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Will Due said:

:lol:

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Piney said:

Because  astronomy, the geological record and genetics studies have already debunked what the UB said.  It's not going to work in reverse. 

Read the 5 books of the Frank Herbert Dune series. Then read Isaac Asimov's Foundation Series. It might make you realize what terrible scifi the UB actually is and how backwards it is to real scientific thought. 

Or the "Honor Harrington" series by David Weber. The first series I ever read that actually works out what space combat would really be like.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Will Due said:

The story begins and ends with Plato. It doesn't exist prior to Critias and Timaeus

cormac

Edited by cormac mac airt
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Myths and legends are usually rooted in something factual.

Soooo

Hercules & Perseus are based on facts?

How about Beowulf & Grendal?

What of all the stories told of Coyote, the trickster?

Werewolves, vampires and zombies? Are these based on facts?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, cormac mac airt said:

The story begins and ends with Plato. It doesn't exist prior to Critias and Timaeus

cormac

Not the stories. The actual thing or things that happened. 

Most myths and legends come about because something really happened.

Most I said. Some legends aren't true at all. Like Piney knowing "all."

Know what I mean?

6 minutes ago, docyabut2 said:

it is a fake like people believe in the

Raëlism

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raëlism

How is it that you can conclude this is fake, but hold that Atlantis is real?

If one believes one far-fetched story, aren't they obligated to acknowledge that other fantastic tales might be true?

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Now that you're here, I'll have one more friend in my corner to help elaborate thoughts. No man is an island.

Apparently you haven't been paying attention Will.  Piney is an Island.  You should listen to him...he is actually trying to help you.

There is actual truth...and imagined truth.  They are not always the same thing.  Imagined Truth is called Belief.  It requires no proof...all that is required is a 'feeling' inside.  Actual truth is what the actual truth of a thing is...provably so.  Just because you cannot disprove some things does not make those things true.

I understand Will...I really do.  You put your heart and soul into figuring all of this out...so did I...and one day...I figured it out.  And it was pretty simple...but if you don't want to get to the 'actual' truth of things...all you will ever have is a feeling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Soooo

Hercules & Perseus are based on facts?

Yes.

How about Beowulf & Grendal?

Probably.

What of all the stories told of Coyote, the trickster?

Never heard of him.

Werewolves, vampires and zombies? Are these based on facts?

At least the fact that ancient people sought to explain anything they didn't understand. Not having science to use as a tool and all.

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

All about the origins of Bronze and iron work? 

It's right online. No college needed and not hard to understand. :rolleyes:

• Thanks 1

73:3.1 (823.1) The committee on location was absent for almost three years. It reported favorably concerning three possible locations: The first was an island in the Persian Gulf; the second, the river location subsequently occupied as the second garden; the third, a long narrow peninsula—almost an island—projecting westward from the eastern shores of the Mediterranean Sea.

Archaeological evidence for this? 

5 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

How is it that you can conclude this is fake, but hold that Atlantis is real?

If one believes one far-fetched story, aren't they obligated to acknowledge that other fantastic tales might be true?

sorry but most of those alien theories are fake.

4 minutes ago, joc said:

Apparently you haven't been paying attention Will.  Piney is an Island.  You should listen to him...he is actually trying to help you.

You don't get it. 

I'm his "adversary", his "test", his "Lucifer". 

His mind is broken in many places.....badly. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, joc said:

There is actual truth...and imagined truth.  They are not always the same thing.  Imagined Truth is called Belief.  It requires no proof...all that is required is a 'feeling' inside.  Actual truth is what the actual truth of a thing is...provably so.  Just because you cannot disprove some things does not make those things true.

I understand Will...I really do.  You put your heart and soul into figuring all of this out...so did I...and one day...I figured it out.  And it was pretty simple...but if you don't want to get to the 'actual' truth of things...all you will ever have is a feeling.

I gotcha. I'm with you. 

But talkin about "actual" truth. At one time Troy was regarded as something imagined. Something fictional.

There was no evidence. There was no proof.

4 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Not the stories. The actual thing or things that happened. 

Most myths and legends come about because something really happened.

Know what I mean?

Yes, islands and coastal areas are occasionally destroyed by nature. Helike, Port Royal and Thera are examples. "What" the story is based on doesn't automatically equate to the story "as a whole" being true. And you've shown you don't understand enough about the sciences to even determine the "what". 

cormac

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Yes.

Probably.

Never heard of him.

At least the fact that ancient people sought to explain anything they didn't understand. Not having science to use as a tool and all.

So Hercules & Perseus, half man half god, fighting monsters and performing superhero level feats are true? Interesting.

And it's "probable" that a man eating humanoid (and his mother!) were defeated by a hero with a sword? Fascinating.

Coyote is the Native American trickster god, similar to the Norse Loki, but who is also recorded as being a helper of mankind. I rather fancy Coyote, TBH, he sounds like a rogue. :)

yeah, and ancient people also believed that eels were created from the hairs from a horse's tail if they fell into water. Which just proves that you can make wildly illogical leaps of deduction from ignorance.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

Archaeological evidence for this? 

Give it time. Then we'll know all.

Coyote is the Native American trickster god, similar to the Norse Loki, but who is also recorded as being a helper of mankind. I rather fancy Coyote, TBH, he sounds like a rogue. :)

I thought you were talking about Coyote and the RoadRunner....beep beep.....still works anyway right?

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, joc said:

I thought you were talking about Coyote and the RoadRunner....beep beep.....still works anyway right?

As far as I know, the Coyote didn't have an Acme account.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

4 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Wekii'mokiis, Brother Rabbit also known as "Crazy Jack". 

• Like 1

So Hercules & Perseus, half man half god, fighting monsters and performing superhero level feats are true? Interesting.

Oh you mean that dude.

And it's "probable" that a man eating humanoid (and his mother!) were defeated by a hero with a sword? Fascinating.

Tall tails have always been told. Have you read what has been said about @Piney today. Not to mention what he's said about himself.

Thank you. I learn something every day.

yeah, and ancient people also believed that eels were created from the hairs from a horse's tail if they fell into water. Which just proves that you can make wildly illogical leaps of deduction from ignorance.

Speechless.

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Tall tails have always been told. Have you read what has been said about @Piney today. Not to mention what he's said about himself.

That learning "all" about the origins of bronze and iron smithing is not hard because it didn't happen "all" over and it's "all" online. :yes:

Edited by Piney
  • Like 3

• The topic was locked