Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Urantia Book Poll

Davros of Skaro

The UB. Made up, or inspired?   

51 members have voted

1. 1. Is the Urantia Book fact, or fake?

• Real channeled knowledge ?
    • Person, or people fakery?

This poll is closed to new votes

2 hours ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

I have read a bit of the Urantia book, and I think that it could very well be a genuine document. I would say that it is worthy of much more serious inquiry, as it looks credible to me. I haven't read enough of it yet to make a call on it for sure. But I'd say from what I read thus far, I need to read more of this. It looks like it has a great deal of wisdom from what I've read thus far.  

What bits have you read?

Can you offer an opinion on the parts you have read? 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, danydandan said:

What bits have you read?

Can you offer an opinion on the parts you have read? 

Have you read any of his other posts by any chance? 

The UB does seem to attract a 'special' type of person.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Have you read any of his other posts by any chance? 

The UB does seem to attract a 'special' type of person.

I probably have, I can't remember if I specifically have or not.

There's nothing wrong with reading the papers (Book?), there is something a-miss when it's accepted as a revelation.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

35 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Government conspiracies, aliens on earth you name it, he has 'evidence' of it. 

35 minutes ago, danydandan said:

There's nothing wrong with reading the papers (Book?), there is something a-miss when it's accepted as a revelation.

It just seems to particularly 'appeal' to a certain type of character. 

6 hours ago, danydandan said:

In your opinion, what would the requirements of an authentic revelation in the form of a book be in order for you to accept it as such?

19 minutes ago, Will Due said:

In your opinion, what would the requirements of an authentic revelation in the form of a book be in order for you to accept it as such?

Anything that can be emphatically proven as such. 

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

Anything that can be emphatically proven as such. 

Can you give us an example of how something from the UB would be emphatically proven?

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Can you give us an example of how something from the UB would be emphatically proven?

Well first and foremost, I'd like the name/s of the individual/s responsible for writing it. That's a simple request isn't it? 

We all know who edited it/ I assume the editor is the Author.....so much of their earlier philosophical, moral and ethical views seem run parallel to those in the Papers. But I digress.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Well first and foremost, I'd like the name/s of the individual/s responsible for writing it. That's a simple request isn't it? 

We all know who edited it/ I assume the editor is the Author.....so much of their earlier philosophical, moral and ethical views seem run parallel to those in the Papers. But I digress.

Each paper is credited to a specific author.

Do you think it impossible that the authors actually are not human?

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Giving the correct date for the last glacial maximum?

The exact sequence and approximate dates of the major orogenic events of the past 1 billion years?

Describing the break-up of Rodinia

The correct evolutionary sequence from fish to homo sapiens

How the Moon formed

A correct description of our solar system

Lost and lots and lots of things that mere mortal humans wouldn't have known in the 1930s and which if described correctly would have proven the veracity of the book - and all described exactly wrong in almost every detail .......

And no, the argument that the space aliens only told us a load of complete lies because we hadn't at that stage discovered the real truth (but would very soon after) does not hold.   Besides which, why not update it?

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Will Due said:

Any name's?

No not impossible, just very very very unlikely.

• Like 3

I think it's incredibly unlikely the authors knew any more about the history of the Earth than the average Edwardian schoolboy ......

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Any name's?

How about Machiventa Melchizedek, the "Sage of Salem"?

Edited by Will Due

How about Machiventa Melchizedek, the "Sage of Salem"?

A channeller's name, not some name you can't prove is associated with any real entity. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

A channeller's name, not some name you can't prove is associated with any real entity. 

But the UB wasn't channeled. You told me you read Larry Mullins' book that extensively addressed the issue.

3 minutes ago, Will Due said:

But the UB wasn't channeled. You told me you read Larry Mullins' book that extensively addressed the issue.

Yeah it was, are the 'contact personalities' not contacted through LSD induced visions?

Again, give me a name other than Sadler who was present when the Forum was writing down there questions and got their answers?

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Again, give me a name other than Sadler who was present when the Forum was writing down there questions and got their answers?

In 1935, there was no such thing as LSD Dany. I wish you were at least a little, less antagonistic.

Besides Sadler (who remained skeptical), there was his son, his adopted daughter Christy, and his in-laws the Kellogs. They made up, as you know, the 'contact commision'. No one knows who the go between 'contact personality' was because they were instructed to never divulge his identity. No one from the forum at 533 Diversity were allowed to know who he was. Because always they were told, with revelation, there's an overwhelming urge to venerate the messenger instead of the message.

The questions from the forum were submitted in writing and placed in a designated safe. Later, they found hand written answers to the submitted questions in that safe. No one knows who wrote these answers. No one ever saw them being written. The 'contact personality' did not write them. For some reason, he wasn't even interested in what was written on paper. They had the papers put before hand writing experts and they determined no one involved, wrote the papers. 

5 minutes ago, Will Due said:

In 1935, there was no such thing as LSD Dany. I wish you were at least a little, less antagonistic.

Besides Sadler (who remained skeptical), there was his son, his adopted daughter Christy, and his in-laws the Kellogs. They made up, as you know, the 'contact commision'. No one knows who the go between 'contact personality' was because they were instructed to never divulge his identity. No one from the forum at 533 Diversity were allowed to know who he was. Because always they were told, with revelation, there's an overwhelming urge to venerate the messenger instead of the message.

The questions from the forum were submitted in writing and placed in a designated safe. Later, they found hand written answers to the submitted questions in that safe. No one knows who wrote these answers. No one ever saw them being written. The 'contact personality' did not write them. For some reason, he wasn't even interested in what was written on paper. They had the papers put before hand writing experts and they determined no one involved, wrote the papers. 

How am I being antagonistic here? 

I've had to ask three tlimes, for the names of the Authors of the Papers and you are incapable of providing an answer. To be honest that says it all. How can anyone prove anything when they can't provide all the relevant information required to prove if these were divinely inspired as is claimed. 

So how exactly can anyone prove what is claimed here?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, danydandan said:

How can anyone prove anything when they can't provide all the relevant information required to prove if these were divinely inspired as is claimed. 

The writing of the papers was "not inspired".

"The cosmology of these revelations is not inspired. It is limited by our permission for the co-ordination and sorting of present-day knowledge. While divine or spiritual insight is a gift, human wisdom must evolve.

So how exactly can anyone prove what is claimed here?

Only through their personal experience. 

Edited by Will Due

9 hours ago, danydandan said:

The best way to describe BuddingPsychic1111 is that if there is something that you definitely doesn't believe, it's almost certain that he does.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

31 minutes ago, Will Due said:

The writing of the papers was "not inspired".

"The cosmology of these revelations is not inspired. It is limited by our permission for the co-ordination and sorting of present-day knowledge. While divine or spiritual insight is a gift, human wisdom must evolve.

Only through their personal experience. 

Again nonsense because we can not question the Authors. Simple as that.

I love ye anyways Will. 

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I love ye anyways Will. 

I very much appreciate that Dany. I hope it goes without saying, I love you too.

URANTIA about itself---and another telling passage from it, which I share for a 'wake-up call' for all of you... (i might follow up this if you wanna comment) (original emphasis):

92:4.4 (1007.4) There have been many events of religious revelation but only five of epochal significance. These were as follows:

[...]

92:4.9 (1008.2) 5. The Urantia Papers. The papers, of which this is one, constitute the most recent presentation of truth to the mortals of Urantia. These papers differ from all previous revelations, for they are not the work of a single universe personality but a composite presentation by many beings. But no revelation short of the attainment of the Universal Father can ever be complete. All other celestial ministrations are no more than partial, transient, and practically adapted to local conditions in time and space. While such admissions as this may possibly detract from the immediate force and authority of all revelations, the time has arrived on Urantia when it is advisable to make such frank statements, even at the risk of weakening the future influence and authority of this, the most recent of the revelations of truth to the mortal races of Urantia.

51:2.3 (582.3) While there is this dematerializing technique for preparing the Adams for transit from Jerusem to the evolutionary worlds, there is no equivalent method for taking them away from such worlds unless the entire planet is to be emptied, in which event emergency installation of the dematerialization technique is made for the entire salvable population. If some physical catastrophe should doom the planetary residence of an evolving race, the Melchizedeks and the Life Carriers would install the technique of dematerialization for all survivors, and by seraphic transport these beings would be carried away to the new world prepared for their continuing existence. The evolution of a human race, once initiated on a world of space, must proceed quite independently of the physical survival of that planet, but during the evolutionary ages it is not otherwise intended that a Planetary Adam or Eve shall leave their chosen world.

7 hours ago, Will Due said:

yes.

You would first have to provide some evidence that these non-humans exist.

Second, you would have to provide some evidence that these non-human intelligent beings were able to communicate with humans, but yet had no greater understanding of science than the humans it was communicating with.

For example @Will Due , do you accept that Joseph Smith found some golden tablets that revealed an entirely new chapter in the life of Jesus? Do you accept that they 'mysteriously disappeared" before Smith could show them to anyone?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• The topic was locked