Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Ares_Zeusson

Isn't it pretty pathetic that 90% of The U.S.

104 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Ares_Zeusson
Posted (edited)

would probably die if the electrical grid went down?

Oh well, at least people wont be able to call me dumb dumb no more. Let's see how your liberal arts helps you in the apocalypse collage boy.

Primitive survival skills are way more important than the liberal arts so why isn't it taught in schools & collages outside of military academies?

Edited by Ares_Zeusson
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kartikg

It's not pathetic considering modern society is built on the foundation of electricity and more recently computers, ancient civilizations which were built relying upon river waters presihed when long droughts set in. No amount of survival skills would save you if groups of people start attacking you. 

  • Like 7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Rlyeh

Most people wouldn't be able to perform surgery on themselves either.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Minimalists
1 hour ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

would probably die if the electrical grid went down?

Oh well, at least people wont be able to call me dumb dumb no more. Let's see how your liberal arts helps you in the apocalypse collage boy.

Primitive survival skills are way more important than the liberal arts so why isn't it taught in schools & collages outside of military academies?

With all the survival websites and forums on the interwebs if some one cannot get off their ass and learn those skills then they get whats coming to them.....It's not the populations fault that our electrical grid is not protected...The US Government does not have the money nor do the private sector industries have the cash to protect their grids. The cost would be astronomical! The US MIlitary has made some advances in protecting its equipment but very little.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Minimalists
3 minutes ago, Piney said:

I lived off the grid for some time. 99% of "outdoorsmen" I met who came to hunt from the burbs couldn't do it. 

 I won't deny that I most likely would have a hard time doing it but I suspect at some point my former military training would kick in. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
2 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

 I won't deny that I most likely would have a hard time doing it but I suspect at some point my former military training would kick in. 

Former grunts and airborne guys would do ok. But it's still about what to eat. I taught flintknapping and that takes some skill. @Iilaa'mpuul'xem  use to flint knap fishhooks from the bottoms of bottles. But that is straight up SAS stuff and your average ground pounder couldn't do it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Artist/Pineys-Woodwork-1604882973125036/

The knife up top was a glass lamp base. Slab glass is really hard to "read".

 

  • Like 6
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker

I used to live on 5 acres out on the edge of the farmlands, with fruit trees and deer that came through. And we had some goats, so I might have done OK for a short time there. But now that I live in the burbs, I'm pretty sure my family would be doomed.

I do believe though that a LOT of urban folks would pass away within days. Once the food is gone from the markets.... And no more is coming in...

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
Posted (edited)

In urban areas, looters would take all the fresh food, and the hungry would resort to murder and cannibalism.

Edited by acute
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
10 minutes ago, acute said:

In urban areas, looters would take all the fresh food, and the hungry would resort to murder and cannibalism.

Sadly enough, the gangs would have all the resources and the unaffilliated would starve and die. If they weren't outright killed for something they had. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
21 minutes ago, acute said:

In urban areas, looters would take all the fresh food, and the hungry would resort to murder and cannibalism.

While they're looting the stores I'll be in the library reading survival books by candlelight.

For anyone interested...

U.S. electricity demand (Lower 48 states) in Real Time.

https://www.eia.gov/realtime_grid/#/status?end=20160722T00

And the UK Grid status...

https://www.gridwatch.templar.co.uk/

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Minimalists

It's not so much the demand (US) its the protection of the grid itself...Without protecting the grid usage is irrelevent. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DieChecker
1 hour ago, DieChecker said:

I used to live on 5 acres out on the edge of the farmlands, with fruit trees and deer that came through. And we had some goats, so I might have done OK for a short time there. But now that I live in the burbs, I'm pretty sure my family would be doomed.

I do believe though that a LOT of urban folks would pass away within days. Once the food is gone from the markets.... And no more is coming in...

The thing also about living in the country was that we had a well. In the urban environment. People aren't going to have much water. That will probably kill people faster then anything else.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

People of a certain age may remember the BBC drama 'Threads' that scared us all shirtless in the eighties.

With our reliance on the internet, global supply lines, and foreign fuel, things could get much uglier much faster nowadays.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
12 minutes ago, Alien Origins said:

It's not so much the demand (US) its the protection of the grid itself...Without protecting the grid usage is irrelevent. 

I know.  I only shared those links because I found them interesting.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ares_Zeusson
3 hours ago, Piney said:

I lived off the grid for some time. 99% of "outdoorsmen" I met who came to hunt from the burbs couldn't do it. 

Weekend warriors are the funniest. Out there "roughing it" in their $100,000 fifth wheel camper.

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoldenWolf
6 hours ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

would probably die if the electrical grid went down?

Oh well, at least people wont be able to call me dumb dumb no more. Let's see how your liberal arts helps you in the apocalypse collage boy.

Primitive survival skills are way more important than the liberal arts so why isn't it taught in schools & collages outside of military academies?

Well we can see you wouldn't be jumping up to help anyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ares_Zeusson
Just now, GoldenWolf said:

Well we can see you wouldn't be jumping up to help anyone.

I'd do what I could but the rioters & looters are on their own.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
Posted (edited)

My degree will do nonething for me in the apocalypse, but it are as hell helps me on civilization :rofl:

Next time I'll get a diploma in doomsday prepping 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ares_Zeusson
6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

My degree will do nonething for me in the apocalypse, but it are as hell helps me on civilization :rofl:

Next time I'll get a diploma in doomsday prepping 

Well we'll still need brainiacs after the dust settles. Someones gotta make my clone army for me, I sure as **** couldn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
GoldenWolf
14 minutes ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

I'd do what I could but the rioters & looters are on their own.

I got the impression you would be a rioter/looter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
28 minutes ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

Weekend warriors are the funniest. Out there "roughing it" in their $100,000 fifth wheel camper.

ATVs to get back and forth and tons of camo. Which is even funnier because deer don't look at shapes only movement and turkeys don't look at anything. 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Iilaa'mpuul'xem
5 hours ago, Piney said:

Former grunts and airborne guys would do ok. But it's still about what to eat. I taught flintknapping and that takes some skill. @Iilaa'mpuul'xem  use to flint knap fishhooks from the bottoms of bottles. But that is straight up SAS stuff and your average ground pounder couldn't do it.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/category/Artist/Pineys-Woodwork-1604882973125036/

The knife up top was a glass lamp base. Slab glass is really hard to "read".

 

I know many military and ex-military personnel that wouldn’t last a week off the grid. Training someone is teaching them the basics to survive, it's like teaching someone the alphabet and expecting them to be an English teacher or an author. You learn the basics and build on that until you have perfected the technique, even at our old age, you could drop @Piney and me anywhere in the world with just a tablespoon and we would still survive and I don’t want to come across. Cocky when I say that. Outdoor survival takes a different approach and mind set and once you get that balance it is a wonderful place to be in. 

@Piney and I complimented each other with our skillset and approach to life, if I had to choose one person to be with me in any extreme situation.. I would always choose my blood brother, unless he was in prison because I would have to beak him out then… having said that, the system thought we were planning that and it caused a few problems for him lol 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.