Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Isn't it pretty pathetic that 90% of The U.S.

Ares_Zeusson

All joking aside I do intend to try to keep crop production in the heartland going with the help of The Amish & The Mexicans & get the old steam trains back in action.

Electrical grid failure doesn't need to be a huge disaster. If people are willing to get their hands in the dirt we can still feed everyone.

And what about hydroelectric plants? I'm no engineer but it seems feasible to me to get The Robert Moses power station up & running Buffalo NY or at least parts of it.

30 minutes ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

What would an EMP mean for nuclear facilities? Are they gonna meltdown if not properly decommissioned?

Yup. 

15 minutes ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

And what about hydroelectric plants? I'm no engineer but it seems feasible to me to get The Robert Moses power station up & running Buffalo NY or at least parts of it.

A EMP pulse fries all IC chips. So no

Vehicles made before 1973, if they still had their points type ignition systems would run though.  Combustion ignition heavy machinery with old school magnetos would also still run. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Vehicles made before 1973, if they still had their points type ignition systems would run though.  Combustion ignition heavy machinery with old school magnetos would also still run. 

What about something old school like Edison's Pearl Street Power Station from the 1880's?

On 1/6/2019 at 2:28 AM, Ares_Zeusson said:

would probably die if the electrical grid went down?

Oh well, at least people wont be able to call me dumb dumb no more. Let's see how your liberal arts helps you in the apocalypse collage boy.

Primitive survival skills are way more important than the liberal arts so why isn't it taught in schools & collages outside of military academies?

Collage boy huh? This is a hilarious visual for me do you actually think liberal arts is about making collages?

Schools dont teach survival skills life does but that doesn't mean its somehow helpful to be uneducated. I think you are underestimating how many small towns there are because the populations come with different skillsets and resources than those living in crowds. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

Wouldn't an emp kill all batteries....or myth?

1 hour ago, joc said:

oh...and...many parts of the pine tree are edible...

I just had a flash-back on Euell Gibbons :w00t:

• Haha 2

On 1/6/2019 at 4:07 PM, Piney said:

Like being beaten to find my G-3 and M-700 ( which they never found) and not allowed out in the rec yard for fear of being dry gulched by a squad of Gurkha troopers. :whistle:

Now THAT would have been a headline... :w00t:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Nnicolette said:

do you actually think liberal arts is about making collages?

Lol! I'm just razzing the collage kids. I don't actually mean anything by my comment, just poking some fun.

• Haha 1

On 1/7/2019 at 12:27 PM, toast said:

I checked the web but I didnt found it with that title, whats the author`s name?

I couldn't find it either but I've read one like he described: One Second After by William Forstchen.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, and then said:

Now THAT would have been a headline... :w00t:

They pulled @Iilaa'mpuul'xem  visa along with several  "highly skilled" troopers.  The prosecuting attorney went into hiding. The judge had State Trooper and sheriffs department guards. It scared the **** out of them that much. 

• Thanks 2

14 minutes ago, joc said:

Wouldn't an emp kill all batteries....or myth?

Just unprotected IC chips. Military ones with shielding would do OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Nnicolette said:

Do you know what a collage is?

Lol! Oops! ege not age I'm stupid! Thanks for pointing that out, I don't think I ever would've noticed.

• Like 2

On 1/7/2019 at 5:48 PM, toast said:

Who wants to get an impression at full scale what will happen in case of downed grid should read this very well written book:

Blackout: Tomorrow Will Be Too Late

Thanks for that Toast. 

I've downloaded the Kindle version of the book... I'll give it a read tonight and let you know what I think :) 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

What would an EMP mean for nuclear facilities? Are they gonna meltdown if not properly decommissioned?

No. 

Nuclear Power Station control systems are hardened against EMP... almost by their very nature. (surrounded by steel). 

However, whilst they wouldn't melt down, they probably wouldn't be able to distribute power to anyone, because the distribution grid itself would be down ? 

Edited by RoofGardener

1 minute ago, RoofGardener said:

No. 

Nuclear Power Station control systems are hardened against EMP... almost by their very nature. (surrounded by steel). 

However, whilst they wouldn't melt down, they probably [ /i] wouldn't be able to distribute power to anyone, because the distribution grid itself would be down ? 

Not Salem or Oyster Creek in New Jersey. Rather than update them they just increased patrols from McGuire-Dix and hired more guards. At least this is what I heard from a few guys from the 177th. 

13 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

No. 

However, whilst they wouldn't melt down, they probably wouldn't be able to distribute power to anyone, because the distribution grid itself would be down ? 

9 minutes ago, Piney said:

Not Salem or Oyster Creek in New Jersey. Rather than update them they just increased patrols from McGuire-Dix and hired more guards. At least this is what I heard from a few guys from the 177th. 

So who's jurisdiction are nuclear facilities? Army Corps of Engineers? Or are they privately maintained?

Edited by Ares_Zeusson

1 minute ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

So who's jurisdiction are nuclear facilities? Army Corps of Engineers? Or are they privately mantained.

Here they are run by outside corporations for the local energy company and guarded by PMCs ( another outside company) and the National Guard. 

Everybody gets their palms greased....

55 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Thanks for that Toast. 

I've downloaded the Kindle version of the book... I'll give it a read tonight and let you know what I think :) 

You will not be disappointed, RG. I`ve read it a 2nd time already.

40 minutes ago, Piney said:

Here they are run by outside corporations for the local energy company and guarded by PMCs ( another outside company) and the National Guard. 

Everybody gets their palms greased....

Indeed Piney.... a recipe for disaster. 

However, I think you'll find that the Nuclear stations... ESPECIALLY the older ones ... are shielded against the effects of EMP. This is not deliberate, but just a function of the way a nuclear station works. The core - and the control systems - are surrounded by steel. It would probably take a VERY strong pulse to be able to penetrate that !

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, RoofGardener said:

Indeed Piney.... a recipe for disaster. 

However, I think you'll find that the Nuclear stations... ESPECIALLY the older ones ... are shielded against the effects of EMP. This is not deliberate, but just a function of the way a nuclear station works. The core - and the control systems - are surrounded by steel. It would probably take a VERY strong pulse to be able to penetrate that !

I think they are more worried about a bomber.