Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman in coma for 10yrs gives birth

Eldorado

Phoenix police on Saturday were investigating reports of a sexual assault after a woman who has been hospitalised in a vegetative state for the past decade gave birth.

The woman, who was incapacitated in a drowning incident, was a patient at Hacienda Healthcare when she went into labour on Dec. 29 and delivered a baby boy, according to local media. No one knew she was pregnant and healthcare staff were initially unsure why she was moaning, the reports said.

“This matter is currently under investigation by the Phoenix Police Department,” Sergeant Tommy Thompson told Reuters when asked about the media reports.

Full report at Reuters: https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-arizona-coma/phoenix-police-investigate-after-woman-in-coma-for-decade-gives-birth-idUKKCN1OZ0MO

Edited by Eldorado
  • Sad 8

It happened 2000 years ago. No reason why it can't happen again whistle.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Terrible. I wonder why no one (nurses, doctors) noticed a difference in her vitals or body during the 9 months she was pregnant. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Terrible. I wonder why no one (nurses, doctors) noticed a difference in her vitals or body during the 9 months she was pregnant. 

Seriously, there would be a big blood sugar and blood pressure spike on top of weight loss and a change in urine chemistry. :no:

• Like 6

42 minutes ago, SecretSanta said:

Perhaps they did notice various changes and attributed them to another cause(s). I find it difficult to believe, however, that they would miss the obvious signs given that they were responsible for this woman's daily care. It's also possible that those responsible for her care knew or suspected, but kept it quiet. Also troubling is the possibility that she's not the only victim, especially as there are vulnerable children and young teens in that facility as well.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 3

14 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Perhaps they did notice various changes and attributed them to another cause(s). I find it difficult to believe, however, that they would miss the obvious signs given that they were responsible for this woman's daily care. It's also possible that those responsible for her care knew or suspected, but kept it quiet. Also troubling is the possibility that she's not the only victim, especially as there are vulnerable children and young teens in that facility as well.

From my experiences there is always more than one turd involved in a coverup. There's usually a "turd herd". <_<

• Like 6

1 hour ago, SecretSanta said:

Negligence, incompetence or outright collusion!

Everyone who works/worked there will be DNA tested and the perp probably caught, but in all likelihood the entire staff deserves to be shot

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The first such documented case in the US happened more than 20 years ago. That victim had also been in a coma for 10 years.

In 1996, the New York Times reported on the case of a 29-year-old woman—identified only by her first name, Kathy—who had become pregnant after being in a coma for ten years. When she later gave birth to a baby boy, it was cited as "the only known case of someone becoming pregnant and giving birth in a comalike state."

Kathy died about a year later, just a few weeks before her rapist—who had been a nursing aide—was convicted for the assault. The baby was raised by Kathy's mother, who also pushed for legislation in New York State that would require background checks for nursing aides and provide other safeguards against abuse in nursing facilities. That law, known as "Kathy's Law," was put into effect in 1998.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/vdxga9/a-woman-became-pregnant-after-being-in-a-coma-for-over-a-year-430

The article also discusses the more recent (2015) case of an Argentinian woman who was also raped and impregnated while in a coma.

• Thanks 7

She was vegetative for 14 yrs. This is clearly a case of rape as the woman was incapable of giving any consent. Who the rapist is could be any one from a male employee to a visitor to another resident. I would really take a close look at the 11-7 shift as that's when staffing is at it's lowest and there isn't a lot of activity going on in the hallways. A long time ago, I worked in a facility where a male resident was caught assaulting another male resident. He went to court wheelchair and all and was put on house arrest within the facility. His room was alarmed to alert staff if he tried to get out of his room and he wasn't allowed to go anywhere but in front of the nurse's station. Not even the dining room. He ate all meals in his room. Equipping his room like that was the only thing that kept him out of a jail cell wheelchair and all.

https://6abc.com/woman-in-vegetative-state-for-14-years-gives-birth;-investigation-underway/5015825/?sf205422797=1

Edited by susieice
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2
  • Sad 4

3 hours ago, The Caspian Hare said:

This is sick on so many levels. :wacko:

Once proven, the b****** should be emasculated, then shot.  There is no lower form of life than a "man" who will sexually assault children or otherwise helpless women.  He needs killing.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

Once proven, the b****** should be emasculated, then shot.  There is no lower form of life than a "man" who will sexually assault children or otherwise helpless women.  He needs killing.

Death is too mild of a punishment.

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, and then said:

He needs killing.

By quartering. That way people can watch his still living torso struggling on the ground and the next jackass with any greasy ideas will think twice.  :yes:

• Like 4

Police collected the DNA of male employees yesterday. I'm assuming they'll also follow-up with any employees (if any) who have since left the nursing home. A little more information about the victim was also made available. San Carlos Apache Tribe leaders confirmed that the 29-year-old woman is a member of the tribe.

https://www.nytimes.com/2019/01/09/us/vegetative-state-birth-woman.html

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 1

I'm happy to read the family has the baby, I was wondering about that.  I also think they should get some experts in there to gently question the other residents. I worry that there may be other victims. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

I know that the CEO of the home has resigned. Now we wait to see the results of the DNA tests from the male employees. I would think they'd test all the males who worked there in the past year. If none match, they will need to test residents as it seems many are young. On a night shift, it wouldn't be hard for one to enter a room and leave without being noticed. Nurses are catching up the paperwork at the nurse's station and restocking supplies while aides are in other rooms doing the night changes on the other patients. They always have the least amount of staff on hand. The hallways are mostly empty and this poor woman wasn't capable of screaming or raising an alarm. I'm betting more on it being an employee but there are other possibilities.

• Like 7

On 07/01/2019 at 10:22 AM, and then said:

You know my position on killing, but ****ing hell, you’re right this time.

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

You know my position on killing, but ****ing hell, you’re right this time.

I have an older sister who was beaten and robbed at knifepoint when I was a kid.  She was 17.  Had it not been for a police car with lights and siren - going to another scene - scaring the b****** away, she'd have been raped as well.  I'm no saint and don't expect anyone else to be but when you harm helpless people, especially children, the elderly or defenseless women like this one, I don't believe you deserve more mercy than you've shown to them.  Preying on the weak is the behavior of an animal.

• Like 8

On 1/6/2019 at 9:10 PM, Piney said:

By quartering. That way people can watch his still living torso struggling on the ground and the next jackass with any greasy ideas will think twice.  :yes:

You're probably right.  It's damned brutal, but so is what HE did.  Pain is something cowards are especially intent on avoiding, too.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I'm so glad they arrested him! What a scumbag! A wife and 4 kids too...they will also suffer for his actions.  

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

killin smillin ! tough talk ! there's way! WAAAAAAY ! too ! many bleeding hearts on this rock so not a damn thing is done that REALLY!!!!!! needs to be done, the Native INDIAN kid and others are right as far as punishment, nothing is too terrible or ugly for kulls and esp. down in .... eeeeeh enough said, I'll tell you who needs ... oooooo okay... that's about all I can say I guess.

Edited by MWoo7
Needed one more [ ! ]
  • Like 1