Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Beer glass explodes on camera in 'haunted' pub

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to Beer glass explodes on camera in 'haunted' pub

Have those who believe it a ghost, never seen a glass shatter before? Obviously not.

I worked in a club many years ago, and any glass with a slight chip went straight into the glass bin, because, like a windscreen, the slightest of chips can create it to shatter. Washing  the glass in the washer and then filling up the glass before it has cooled could very well lead it to shatter.

This pub needs to retrain its bar staff.

Edited by freetoroam
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Have those who believe it a ghost, never seen a glass shatter before? Obviously not.

Some cheap recycled glass products contain contaminates, which make them unstable. Cheap glass tabletops are notorious for exploding because of mineral contaminates.  

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I used to work (and also live) in a fairly old pub and spontaneous glass combustion was a regular occurance.  

As impressive as the video is, both comments above have this simple sorcery explained in a nutshell.  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

I worked in a bar, heck because of my alcoholic father, was basically raised in bars. I have never once seen anything like that. Not once. That glass didn't have some type of mechanical failure, it looked like it was taken out by a bee bee gun.

Not saying it was paranormal, but I think you folks are talking out of your a*****. I mean no disrespect in saying so.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

I worked in a club many years ago, and any glass with a slight chip went straight into the glass bin, because, like a windscreen, the slightest of chips can create it to shatter. Washing  the glass in the washer and then filling up the glass before it has cooled could very well lead it to shatter.

I've seen a million glasses shatter, never once for no outside reason. Now I've seen chips in glasses turn to cracks, and begin to leak. I have never once seen anything like this. That glass practically exploded. I promise you I have most likely, since the age of 5, spend more time in bars then anyone here can conceive. I have never once seen anything like that.

Most likely a publicity stunt.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I've seen a million glasses shatter, never once for no outside reason. Now I've seen chips in glasses turn to cracks, and begin to leak. I have never once seen anything like this. That glass practically exploded. I promise you I have most likely, since the age of 5, spend more time in bars then anyone here can conceive. I have never once seen anything like that.

Most likely a publicity stunt.

I agree ... But then again the other day i came home to find a glass bowl had exploded in my kitchen. I would say it must have fell down but the glass was pretty evenly distributed over the floor around both sides of the counter and on top which couldnt happen if it just fell off. Its hard to say on this one. I blow glass sometimes and know that imperfections can cause random blow aparts if they arent properly heated in the kiln or weakened over time but it is kind of random to blow apart like that. I am guessing they use very thick old glass and that it was cold and the beer warm and that it is time for them to buy better quality cups. On the other hand if they already have a problem with glasses moving that doesnt cover it. I have personally witnessed cups sparatically moving on a glass table though. Just a little moisture and if the underside has a divet it can randomly slide on its own as if posessed. I am guessing that thier tables are producing this effect and this was just a case of the pressure not pushing it any direction but forcing the glass apart. I am also guessing the reason preacherman, even with the extensive time spent around glasses was in a bar that did not have glass countertops and mugs with divets on the bottom to produce this effect. Only certain shapes of cups do it. I noticed a doublesided shotglass slides on its own incredible easy, there just has to be a cup shaped underside and a tiny bit of moisture on it. Know this one very well as i nearly had a heart attack when my shotglass kept sliding away from me at my friends house. Its a little unnerving until you notice the mechanism causing it.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, freetoroam said:

It can still explode while your drinking it, no? Or does it need to be in a complete standstill?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LucidElement said:

It can still explode while your drinking it, no? Or does it need to be in a complete standstill?

It can explode any time. Hence any small chip or crack and it should not be used.  

We do not know how long the glass was there, although the landlord says 20 minutes,  which is a while for a glass with drink in it, i do not believe he knew how long it had been there for, if left, he should have cleared the empties earlier and cleared that one too. I am prepared to watch the  video for 20 minutes prior to exploding if he cares to supply it. 

If the glass was faulty and left,  temperature,  noise, vibrations, all could contribute to it exploding.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I've seen a million glasses shatter,

Stop talking rubbish! 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

I have never once seen anything like that. Not once.

58 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I have never once seen anything like this.

You have now.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontaneous_glass_breakage

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

maybe the glass had micro crack, was warm, and when cold beer was poured, it contracted as they all do with change in temp, and the crack gave way.

wait, do you guys drink beer cold in uk?

Edited by aztek
  • Haha 2

Wait.. WHAT ? Did you spill my drink ? 

< gets aggressive > 

Have you noticed that pub ghosts tend to be rather malicious with shattered glass, tipped tables, and the like. Perhaps the issue is that we have failed to acknowledge their presence. Perhaps the first toast upon arrival should be made to the resident ghost. We might find a far more receptive ghost perhaps to the extent of tidying up the pub and cleaning the glassware.

• Like 2

A moving CCTV cam?  Anyway, upper left corner: Jabba the Hut`s brother.

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

I worked in a bar, heck because of my alcoholic father, was basically raised in bars. I have never once seen anything like that. Not once. That glass didn't have some type of mechanical failure, it looked like it was taken out by a bee bee gun.

Not saying it was paranormal, but I think you folks are talking out of your a*****. I mean no disrespect in saying so.

Yeah, I'm pretty much with you.  I worked in a restaurant for a few years and never once saw anything like that happen.  I've got plenty of old glasses with chips in them and not even once has one shattered like that.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Yeah, I'm pretty much with you.  I worked in a restaurant for a few years and never once saw anything like that happen.  I've got plenty of old glasses with chips in them and not even once has one shattered like that.

See post #11 :)

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Stop talking rubbish! 

Ok I don’t have an exact number, but I did spend an entire childhood shooting at such things

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Stiff said:

See post #11 :)

I did.  But believe it or not those videos change nothing about my post.

I worked in a restaurant for a few years and never once saw anything like that happen.  I've got plenty of old glasses with chips in them and not even once has one shattered like that.

Now I'm not saying it's a ghost or anything supernatural and understand that taking a (very) hot glass and filling it with something (very) cold could possibly cause that.  But how many times have we all done that and nothing happened.  For that matter the explosion in such an instance would be instantaneous while the cold liquid was being poured not minutes after it had been placed on the table, so yes actually all of these videos are in fact unusual and rare occurrences.

• Like 2

Looks like it was shot by something. There's a few other instances of this occurring on YouTube. Some just look like structural failure.

https://youtu.be/mDP3Qni2PZM

Edited by Hammerclaw

If its' for haunting purpose, someone playing with a bb gun ? If not... frail glass busting because of temperature change and vibration...

Edited by Jon the frog

Agree with above glass can shatter because of many reasons tension, or heat etc i once helped dads mate whos a builder to remove my parents shower glass door and it shattered when he picked it up in his hands he was extremely lucky cause he escaped without any cuts. 

Can a glass like that just explode from natural causes. I suppose it's possible for all I know, but I spend my fair share of time in bars and restaurants and in my house with glasses and I think the frequency of such things spontaneously exploding in that manner is getting greatly overrated by some in this thread. I can't say I've ever seen a shattering in that manner.;

But also when considering cases like this I listen to all bits of information including an already strong suspicion that that area of the pub was haunted. People saw glass move in a way they obviously didn't feel was normal. To me, that increases the chance the glass exploded for paranormal reasons.

Shatterings are often claimed as part of haunting and poltergeist cases'

Papameter Reading: Paranormal 50%; Normal 50%

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1