Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
OverSword

Obese man escapes into virtual world

38 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

OverSword

I think my question is, were it not for the virtual world he can escape to would he have the motivation to do something about his condition?

 

  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2

Dam, I think without games he would escape to T.V, without T.V maybe radio or reading? without those two things idk.It is a question for the ages. 

My question, which could be answered because I didn't watch the video, is how he affords to live? does he get disability? or does he mooch off of someone?

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ExpandMyMind
36 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I think my question is, were it not for the virtual world he can escape to would he have the motivation to do something about his condition?

No. You don't get to that state by having any motivation at all. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tatetopa

He lives with his dad. His mom (divorced?) said, "to live in my house, you need to have a job". So he moved to his dad's.  They eat together and he has been gaining weight ever since.  From the video math, another 200 pounds since he stopped working. I don't think that he would overcome his problem without video games.  He might find another way to escape or just be miserable, but he doesn't seem to want change.  

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ouija ouija

When you're that big, I imagine it's impossible to face the task of getting all the weight off. It must seem like an insurmountable problem.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kenemet
28 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

When you're that big, I imagine it's impossible to face the task of getting all the weight off. It must seem like an insurmountable problem.

I have a friend who weighs over 500 lbs... and it's medical/biological.  He's had surgery, he is active, he's more careful about what he eats than I am about what I eat.  I believe that the lightest weight he's been in the past 20 years is around 400 lbs. It's caused a lot of problems for him (he does work, he's self-supporting, but he hates to go out in public because he's treated like a freak.)

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd

We don't know how it is to be him, and we forget how easy it is to get caught in a bad downwards spiral that reenforces itself.

Everybody seeks pleasure in reward. From a simple thing like chasing 'likes' on social media, to hazardous drug abuse. We all seek that reward. He found it in food. Probably because his brain is wired to get extreme pleasure from eating.

Now his reality has become so overwhelmingly unmanageable, that he can only survive mentally by escaping to fiction. And by giving himself the pleasure of eating.

As it always is with humans, others cannot solve our problems. You can't help someone who isn't ready. The urge to seek help must derive from within.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
57 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Dam, I think without games he would escape to T.V, without T.V maybe radio or reading? without those two things idk.It is a question for the ages. 

My question, which could be answered because I didn't watch the video, is how he affords to live? does he get disability? or does he mooch off of someone?

People whose relationship with food is so destructive that they can become as large as this man, are mentally ill.  Those who enjoy being vicious about these people and like telling the world that they should "exercise some control" or "put down the donuts" or whatever, are either speaking out of ignorance or spite.  Not a lot of middle ground here.  This guy has at least one enabler in his life who "loves" him and wants him to be happy.  That person sees his torment and doesn't want to add to it but they are misguided and will be as guilty of his suffering and eventual death as HE IS.  

I'm surprised that the nanny state hasn't begun criminalizing such behaviors or cutting these morbidly, suicidally obese people off from care.  Thankfully, they are a rare group and probably don't get seen in the system until they're near death anyway.  What a depressing, dark, existence for a human being who literally cannot see a way out.  These people are the equivalent of low-bottom alcoholics.  They are hopeless and waiting to die.  I wish for all of them at least one "moment of clarity" where they can come out of the illusion and find someone willing to help them down the path to a life.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
7 minutes ago, Kenemet said:

I have a friend who weighs over 500 lbs... and it's medical/biological.  He's had surgery, he is active, he's more careful about what he eats than I am about what I eat.  I believe that the lightest weight he's been in the past 20 years is around 400 lbs. It's caused a lot of problems for him (he does work, he's self-supporting, but he hates to go out in public because he's treated like a freak.)

My top weight was 383 lbs on a 6' frame.  It was the most soul-crushing experience you can imagine.  I was miserable at all times and I cannot even imagine going to the next level as this poor guy has done.  I have just as much pity in my heart for the morbidly obese as I do for Cancer patients and the mentally ill.  NO human being willingly chooses such a life just to satisfy a craving for food.  The food becomes an escape, then a crutch, then the food IS their life, such as remains to them.  Tell your friend to never give up.  His day WILL COME!

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
2 hours ago, OverSword said:

I think my question is, were it not for the virtual world he can escape to would he have the motivation to do something about his condition?

Darwinism works......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
52 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Everybody seeks pleasure in reward. From a simple thing like chasing 'likes' on social media, to hazardous drug abuse. We all seek that reward. He found it in food. Probably because his brain is wired to get extreme pleasure from eating.

It's a dopamine hit like everything else addictive.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OverSword
4 minutes ago, Piney said:

It's a dopamine hit like everything else addictive.

True.  It's why I walk 6 miles a day since getting a fitbit.

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer

You cant escape yourself if you try reality always comes back and hit you even harder in the face. And this guy cant escape anything... yes funny joke i am also obese and stocky built but not that people would notice or care, and i do keep fit however this guy needs help. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
1 minute ago, OverSword said:

True.  It's why I walk 6 miles a day since getting a fitbit.

My friend's son went from food, to every drug available, to alcohol, to social media. I told him. He's addicted to the dopamine hit's pure and simple. 

My dopamine hits are sparing and use to be my skateboard, Mongoose stunt bike, riding crazy horses and dirt bike....and guarding idiots who start fights in clubs. They come from straight up adrenaline

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sci-nerd
5 minutes ago, Piney said:

My friend's son went from food, to every drug available, to alcohol, to social media. I told him. He's addicted to the dopamine hit's pure and simple. 

My dopamine hits are sparing and use to be my skateboard, Mongoose stunt bike, riding crazy horses and dirt bike....and guarding idiots who start fights in clubs. They come from straight up adrenaline

I think the guy in this OP went public as a cry for help. I can't imagine why else he would.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer
56 minutes ago, and then said:

My top weight was 383 lbs on a 6' frame.  It was the most soul-crushing experience you can imagine.  I was miserable at all times and I cannot even imagine going to the next level as this poor guy has done.  I have just as much pity in my heart for the morbidly obese as I do for Cancer patients and the mentally ill.  NO human being willingly chooses such a life just to satisfy a craving for food.  The food becomes an escape, then a crutch, then the food IS their life, such as remains to them.  Tell your friend to never give up.  His day WILL COME!

 

I am 158 tall and quite stocky built and have weighed at most approx 140 kg which is way too much!! the funny thing is that this was when i played american football and had hard exercise three times a week, i think they encouraged us Defense tackles to eat too much ;-)  i later lost weight but put it back on after i stoped playing . And one day i realised i couldn't run or power walk 500 meters without losing my breath and decided it was time to do something about it,and started to practice martial arts and Krav Maga that was 8 years ago. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer
Posted (edited)
27 minutes ago, Piney said:

My friend's son went from food, to every drug available, to alcohol, to social media. I told him. He's addicted to the dopamine hit's pure and simple. 

My dopamine hits are sparing and use to be my skateboard, Mongoose stunt bike, riding crazy horses and dirt bike....and guarding idiots who start fights in clubs. They come from straight up adrenaline

Dopamin Yes its the reason why some people become daredevils ,or run ultra marathons its also an asset depending on how you use it its the reason why i started with american football in my youth and later Krav Maga :-) 

Edited by Avalanche
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Podo

I don't see this as a positive story. This guy has a serious issue, and "escaping" into a videogame isn't the solution. He needs to see a doctor, an addictions counselor, and very possibly a psychologist.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
PrisonerX

He could escape into a myriad of books without the internet. Sure, it exacerbates his issue, but he'd be a glutton in any time, as there always were, and always will be. 

Without force brought to bear upon such an indulgence, it cannot be staved off. 

Edited by PrisonerX
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Dark_Grey

The elderly and the disabled can benefit greatly from VR. The guy in the OP could use VR games as a tool to aid in weight loss. Remember "Wii fit"? Lol

Of course, no weight loss journey begins without a spark of motivation. For some, it comes naturally. For others, getting motivated is harder than any workout. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
skliss
On 1/7/2019 at 4:22 PM, sci-nerd said:

We don't know how it is to be him, and we forget how easy it is to get caught in a bad downwards spiral that reenforces itself.

Everybody seeks pleasure in reward. From a simple thing like chasing 'likes' on social media, to hazardous drug abuse. We all seek that reward. He found it in food. Probably because his brain is wired to get extreme pleasure from eating.

Now his reality has become so overwhelmingly unmanageable, that he can only survive mentally by escaping to fiction. And by giving himself the pleasure of eating.

As it always is with humans, others cannot solve our problems. You can't help someone who isn't ready. The urge to seek help must derive from within.

Could they use a drug to mitigate the effect? Like a beta blocker? Surely there is something that could help the chemical misfire in his brain. Also, couldn't they develop say a treadmill that powers his video games? If he wants to play he has to walk. Work with his motivations. He's basically trapped in that body without some outside help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Nnicolette

I don't get it! I have weighed 120 for 20 years and its a challenge to gain any weight. I just can't understand how people get that big. Genetics have to be a big part besides his extreme laziness.

Maybe he will be motivated if his dad gets him one of these: 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/apple-arkit-portal-video-2017-7?fbclid=IwAR3MZ4VcbPhiesdArp_B3EKoQmkQXWwCjLsLyh0U5W59cTWzo9C8xlpBme0

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Sheltie

I've been tall and thin all my life.  As a I get older, I have to work harder to keep from putting on weight. 

Approximately 70% of the US adult population is now overweight or obese.  Furniture, clothing, hospital beds, wheelchairs, etc have all been modified in recent years to accommodate the rapidly growing American girth.  Obese people are now a vocal and powerful political force pushing the fat acceptance movement and fat awareness.  Never mind the myriad of health issues obesity creates.    

I don't understand the constant complaints from fat people that they are being mistreated or discriminated against in light of the fact that they are the majority.  

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Careful_perspective
On 1/7/2019 at 3:00 PM, OverSword said:

I think my question is, were it not for the virtual world he can escape to would he have the motivation to do something about his condition?

 

The answer is no. This guy is on my 600LB life, the show has like 7 seasons and ive seen them all. (This show is my reality addiction) and hes the first ive seen with a video game addiction. I think he has underlying issues and if it weren't for the video games he would just be into something else and still eat.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
openozy

One of my three Chihuahuas was born fat and is 4 times wider than the others and eats less,the fatter she gets the less she exercises.Its just a ball of fat on sticks,but suffers no health issues.Point is you cant always blame the individual,some creatures are just born fat f---s.Do we as a society discard anyone not contributing or show compassion for them?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.