Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cuba "sonic attack" was probably a cricket

Eldorado

When a number of US diplomats and their families in Cuba reported hearing bizarre noises in 2016 and 2017-- and experienced a range of symptoms such as dizziness, vertigo, and pain and ringing in the ears -- US Department of State officials feared they might have fallen victim to an "acoustic attack" by sonic devices.

In October 2017, the Associated Press obtained and released the first publicly reported audio sample said to be related to the incidents. But US officials have been unable to definitively identify the source or cause of the symptoms, and Cuban officials have denied any attack.

But now, after analyzing the recording, scientists say the source of the piercing noise said to be a "sonic attack" -- described by the diplomats' as "buzzing," "grinding metal" and "piercing squeals" -- could be an echoing call of a cricket.

Specifically, the Indies short-tailed cricket, Anurogryllus celerinictus.

Full report: https://www.kxly.com/news/national-news/crickets-could-be-behind-cuba-sonic-attack-mystery-scientists-say/969928306

The Research Abstract: https://www.biorxiv.org/content/early/2019/01/04/510834

Edited by Eldorado
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

B****CKS!!!! This is a complete and utter red herring. Who recorded the sample that scientists analysed, I wonder? Perhaps there was a recording of crickets that was played throughout the homes 24/7, at a level designed to cause maximum irritation. But one way or another, normal cricket sounds from outdoors would not cause the symptoms that the families suffered ..... two people now require hearing aids!

• Like 3

Haha. Thats the best they could come up with? At least make it interesting and keep aliens on the table :alien:

• Like 3

" (Mike, whats the name of these animals? What? Anurogryllus Celerinictus? Ok.!)" - "Anugrillox celempfhhhtus are a threat to the national security. I tell ya, a very, very big threat. They show up in gangs, in huge gangs, very huge gangs. They dont use toilets, they poo where there are. All over the country, all over it. Ohio, Tennessee, Scotland, Texas. Everywhere. Even Nevada and Florida. Our wonderful country. Its such a wonderful country, its great, isnt it? Full of poo poo from illegal Anogrolloxis Zonkophutus. They use our wonderful airspace without registration. Bad, very bad. They are even attacking AF1. Its a wonderful plane. And its huge, very huge. I saw it by myself, dozens of it tried to crack the front windows of AF1 when we approached Mar-a-, sorry, Palm Beach International Airport last Friday. Melanie, I and my wonderful daughter, Barron, were shocked. Anyway, the remains of these mother&%$%&%$%, the gang of Annastringus Cellulitus, got arrested by the DHS, investigations ongoing. Next week I will request the budget for a giant anti-insect net, to be stretched all over our great country up to an altitude of 120k feet. We will keep them out, I promise you, we will keep them out. Trust me, I`m your president. Its my duty. And I will show up in history as the president who managed to make America bug free. From the north to the west, from the south to the east."

• Haha 1

Well, clearly the sound recording wasn't what caused the sickness/symptoms in all those people. I hear crickets every summer night, and I actually find it soothing.

This whole 'sonic/microwave weapon' thing is total RUBBISH. 

Whatever happened to those diplomats was NOT as the result of some sort of "death ray" weapon. 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

This whole 'sonic/microwave weapon' thing is total RUBBISH. 

Whatever happened to those diplomats was NOT as the result of some sort of "death ray" weapon. 

It wasn't? Then what was it?

LRAD (Long Range Acoustic Device) (2012)

LRAD in use at G20 protests (2009)

LRAD can cause damages ranging from headaches to loss of bowel control and burst eardrums, depending on the setting used. If I can watch 9 year old footage of this weapon on YouTube, assume they have it down to the size of a tablet by now. Someone is trying to shape US/Cuban policy.

• Like 1

Crikey, crickets? I'm gonna have to pass on this. How gullible do they think we are? Trump voters; KILL ALL CRICKETS!!1! :P

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

It wasn't? Then what was it?

LRAD can cause damages ranging from headaches to loss of bowel control and burst eardrums, depending on the setting used. If I can watch 9 year old footage of this weapon on YouTube, assume they have it down to the size of a tablet by now. Someone is trying to shape US/Cuban policy.

And yet the 'diplomats' and their staff didn't suffer any such symptoms. Nor can ANYONE explain how an acoustic device could target people so far away, in an embassy building physically isolated from its surroundings, and without impacting civilians in nearby buildings. 

The diplomats had a pre-existing condition. They took it to Cuba with them. 

10 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

And yet the 'diplomats' and their staff didn't suffer any such symptoms. Nor can ANYONE explain how an acoustic device could target people so far away, in an embassy building physically isolated from its surroundings, and without impacting civilians in nearby buildings. 

It "sounds" like acoustic weapons are actually very directional. IE you can you focus the sound attack on a small area. It's not like they turn it on and every one within a mile radius goes deaf. 

Hearing a noise and feeling pain in your ears at the same time doesn't fit any pre-existing condition I'm aware of. The odds of all of them sharing that same condition? I wouldn't put much money on that one.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dark_Grey said:

It "sounds" like acoustic weapons are actually very directional. IE you can you focus the sound attack on a small area. It's not like they turn it on and every one within a mile radius goes deaf. 

Hearing a noise and feeling pain in your ears at the same time doesn't fit any pre-existing condition I'm aware of. The odds of all of them sharing that same condition? I wouldn't put much money on that one.

The ability to 'focus' sound only exists at high frequencies. And there is no medical evidence of high-frequency sounds causing anything even REMOTELY similar to the symptoms experienced by the USA and Canadian diplomatic staff and their relatives. 

But not anybody ELSE working in the embassy !

The medical reports are somewhat speculative, and are innovative. For all we know, 50% of the US population might suffer from a similar diagnosis. 

13 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Probably a bad mix-up of medication like the gulf war syndrome... or  malaria medication has the cause for the PTSD cases rise in the Canadian army. The malaria medication can induce life brain damage mimicking PTSD. And lot of people working abroad got a mediaction package from their employer a lot of time, so they are prone to have the same symptoms.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2016/08/11/malaria-drug-causes-brain-damage-that-mimics-ptsd-case-study/

Edited by Jon the frog