Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

President Trump Addresses the Nation [VIDEO]

acidhead

12 minutes ago, Wickian said:

Say what you want about Trump, and there is a LOT of bad you can legitimately say about him, but he's always tried to do what he thinks is best for the American people rather than "American interests" or "humanitarian obligations" as those who support illegal immigration and endless foreign wars always say.

It's so baffling that people actually believe this. The whole border wall campaign strategy was originally conceived by his campaign as a way to get him to stay on point with immigration. He doesn't care. Everything in his personal life and career shows absolutely that he cares about literally no one but himself.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, Wickian said:

Say what you want about Trump, and there is a LOT of bad you can legitimately say about him, but he's always tried to do what he thinks is best for the American people rather than "American interests" or "humanitarian obligations" as those who support illegal immigration and endless foreign wars always say.

I cannot fundamentally understand why people think this of Trump. There is some weapons-grade cognitive dissonance going on in the Trump supporters' camp, and it's getting worse. "Doing what he thinks is best for the American people"? Are you kidding? He made ridiculous claims during his campaign about building a wall. Now, with the House gone and the investigations ramping up, he's going back to what he thinks his supporters want to hear - a wall. Why do you think the shut down has happened now? Why did he not ask for funding for the wall last year when the House was with the GOP? Pure deflection of a man who knows his time is nearly up.

"Best interests of the people". Don't make me laugh.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

It's so baffling that people actually believe this. The whole border wall campaign strategy was originally conceived by his campaign as a way to get him to stay on point with immigration. He doesn't care. Everything in his personal life and career shows absolutely that he cares about literally no one but himself.

And the black homeless lady he lets stay in one of his hotels for the last 22 years for free, after she refused to leave. Or the countless millions he's given to charities. Or the guy who he paid off his mortgage for after giving help outside is house when Trumps Limo got a flat. And any number of similar stories. Get out of your echo chamber.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Emma_Acid said:

I cannot fundamentally understand why people think this of Trump. There is some weapons-grade cognitive dissonance going on in the Trump supporters' camp, and it's getting worse. "Doing what he thinks is best for the American people"? Are you kidding? He made ridiculous claims during his campaign about building a wall. Now, with the House gone and the investigations ramping up, he's going back to what he thinks his supporters want to hear - a wall. Why do you think the shut down has happened now? Why did he not ask for funding for the wall last year when the House was with the GOP? Pure deflection of a man who knows his time is nearly up.

Ahh he did ask for money for the wall last year. Dems and establishment republicans shot him down.

• Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

And the black homeless lady he lets stay in one of his hotels for the last 22 years for free, after she refused to leave. Or the countless millions he's given to charities. Or the guy who he paid off his mortgage for after giving help outside is house when Trumps Limo got a flat. And any number of similar stories. Get out of your echo chamber.

Trump never allowed a homeless woman to stay at one of his hotels for free; he never donated millions of his own money to charity; and he never paid off some guy's mortgage. All of those stories are false.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

3 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

A typical New York Times hatchet job. It cites about 3-4 of the Presidents claims to be 'false'... even though they are true. (for example, The President stated that 'thousands' of illegal immigrants enter the country each day. The NYT claimed this was 'false', but admitted that 1700 entered each day. Well, that seems like thousands (ish) to me ? )

The rest of the claims where classified as "needs context". The classic one was Heroin, in which the NYT article "baits and switches", discussing Fentanyl instead of Heroin. (whilst, in passing, admitting that the Presidents statement was correct). 

And so on. 

The level of respect for the intellect of their readers is dismal, at best.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Ahh he did ask for money for the wall last year. Dems and establishment republicans shot him down.

Not really. He stamped his little feet, demanded $5bn, and lawmakers in both sides said this won't get through Congress. Which it wouldn't. He was given $1.7bn last year and only spend 60% of it. Why would they give him another 5bn?

You don't think all this border wall talk is mighty convenient given the fact that the investigations are closing in on him and that after all this time he's still basically a one-man cabinet with no solid team behind him? He's going for low-hanging fruit. "The wall got me elected, the wall will save me now".

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

If the speech wins support, things will be rosy.

The only support he'll receive is from those who already support him and are demanding that our borders be made more secure.  The true essence of this "crisis" is pure politics.  We both know it and most of the American people know it as well.  He's asking for about 6 billion in a two trillion dollar budget and they are stiff-arming him.  The aspect of this whole showdown that bothers me most is that if God forbid, another 9-11 scale attack occurred next week or month and the terrorists were traced coming across that border, the establishment and media would STILL try to blame him.  You know it's true.  None of them are willing to take responsibility but they seem completely sanguine about using the levers of government power to enrich themselves and take away the liberty of poorer citizens who cannot afford our current system of justice.  What is happening is a disgrace and a lot more people are watching and taking note than they imagine.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

And the black homeless lady he lets stay in one of his hotels for the last 22 years for free, after she refused to leave. 

Even the Trump hotel management have said this claim is false. Man alive, get your head out of YouTube.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Emma_Acid said:

Not really. He stamped his little feet, demanded $5bn, and lawmakers in both sides said this won't get through Congress. Which it wouldn't. He was given $1.7bn last year and only spend 60% of it. Why would they give him another 5bn?

You don't think all this border wall talk is mighty convenient given the fact that the investigations are closing in on him and that after all this time he's still basically a one-man cabinet with no solid team behind him? He's going for low-hanging fruit. "The wall got me elected, the wall will save me now".

When Mueller's report is issued there will be more innuendo and little else.  There will be no criminal activity or proof of conspiracy by Trump because it never existed.  The entire report will be smoke and mirrors, based on process crimes that were actually caused by the investigation.  Any other indictments will be for activity that was totally unrelated to a presidential run.  That's my prediction.  They throw out ominous terms like "unindicted co-conspirator" (a Watergate oldie) and cast him as a cunning, power-mad usurper while at the same time saying he's senile and grossly ignorant.  The whole thing is a disgrace and if there were any justice left in this nation, everyone involved in Mueller's work would be investigated just as thoroughly.  There isn't an American citizen over the age of 30 that could withstand that kind of legal scrutiny.  

1 hour ago, Emma_Acid said:

Yet there are about 45 million Americans who chose his vision for the future over the plans of HRC.  It's your right to characterize his supporters as you wish but simply dismissing THAT many people who disagree with the Progressive agenda is kind of a futile, head-in-the-sand gesture, no?  I mean, right or wrong, they're Americans just like you and I and what they want should matter as well.  I don't think that the leaders in the Progressive movement have grasped the lasting changes they've wrought within our Republic, based on their attempts to remove this man from office.  The media will never be given the benefit of a doubt in the future.  They straight up sold themselves publically to elect HRC, then to remove a duly elected president.  Again, the fact that you'd disagree with that statement doesn't negate the 45 million who think it's accurate so where do we go from here?  If this "crisis" in DC is costing us too dearly then wouldn't it make sense to just spend the 6 billion?  You have to admit that the amount isn't the issue.  They were willing to trade 45 billion for DACA and he even offered a path for nearly 2 million immigrants but they rejected it.  They've rejected everything he has tried to do.  Everything.  It's ridiculous to act as though this is anything other than an all-out assault on his presidency, then when he's out, it will continue until he's broke and behind bars unless someone intervenes on his behalf.  This is WAY deeper than R's and D's.  This is global government advocates imposing their will on the U.S., using our own representatives to accomplish it.  It should be sobering to any American who loves what our country was meant to be.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, ExpandMyMind said:

I'm surprised they aired it. They refused to air a similar speech by Obama on immigration because it was 'too political'.

From what I've read, it was just more of Trump spewing lies. He said 90% of drugs come over the border? Findings by his own government revealed that for heroin, meth and cocaine, around 90% for each come through he ports. And the speech was full to the brim with other lies.

I'm astounded that the leader of a country can brazenly lie to his people so often without any sort of repercussions, politically or legally. It's insanity. 

AHEM !

".....Most heroin smuggled into the United States does come through the southwest border, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration’s latest National Drug Threat Assessment report."

https://www.dea.gov/sites/default/files/2018-07/DIR-040-17_2017-NDTA.pdf

The President is right ! The NYT avoided that fact by "bait and switch"... giveing a 'headline' of  Heroin, but then switching its discussion to Fentanyl - NOT Heroin - in mid-sentence, and NOT explaining its reasons for "switching". This is DISGRACEFUL journalism, and may even constitute "fake news". Whil'st you're at it, why not publicly criticise the New York Times for "... brazenly lying to its readers ... without any sort of repercussions..." ? 

In addition, feel free to apologise to the President for your characterisation of ".. brazenly lie to his people..." 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Budget battles are nothing new.  The general MO of Progressives is to do the typical compromise feint, "give us what we want then we'll talk about what you want" and then when that time comes, they don't want to talk about it.  The Republicans fall for it every time and the Progressives get away with it.  They don't know how to compromise, well this time, they had better learn quickly.  Throwing out statements with the buzz phrase of "border security" isn't going anywhere unless the phrase "build the wall" is at the top.  For the Progs FYI, Trump is President, not them.

Don't Trump-haters have anything better to do than point to '1700' and say that's not thousands?  Give me a break!  All the prog stubbornness shows is that America does not have the will to defend its borders.  Well, if that continues, that 1700 will easily double, triple and continue to grow.  If the Progs really gave that a thought, I don't think they'd want to deal with the implications that brings.  It'll be a monster even they can't control.  All "Comprehensive border security" does is tell the world "Welcome to Walmart".

5 hours ago, toast said:

Thousands is the plural of thousand. By math, the minimum figure for "thousands" is 2.000, so any value <2000 isnt "thousands".

Well... yes.. but... only NUMERICALLY speaking :D 

4 hours ago, DarkHunter said:

Ultimately it's more a figure of speech then a precise figure so trying to use mathematics to prove what is a linguistics matter right or wrong is rather pointless.

Linguistics cannot be above math in the same way as religion/s cannot be above physics, for example. Thus, if (local) linguistics describe something mathematical incorrect, its the linguistics that failed and need to get improved. Until done, the linguistics itself is rather pointless to describe something mathematical in the correct fashion, so it a kind of esoterism somehow. In my native language, the word "thousands/tausende" means more than 1000 but at least 2000. Not 1400, not 1700, 2000.

8 hours ago, RavenHawk said:

While watching Pelosi and Schumer, all I could envision was Lily and Herman Munster dressed as American Gothic with the theme to the Addams Family playing in the background.

Actually, Schumer was more like Lurch.  That would make Hilary, Thing.

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

AHEM !

".....Most heroin smuggled into the United States does come through the southwest border, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration’s latest National Drug Threat Assessment report."

https://www.dea.gov/sites/default/files/2018-07/DIR-040-17_2017-NDTA.pdf

The President is right ! The NYT avoided that fact by "bait and switch"... giveing a 'headline' of  Heroin, but then switching its discussion to Fentanyl - NOT Heroin - in mid-sentence, and NOT explaining its reasons for "switching". This is DISGRACEFUL journalism, and may even constitute "fake news". Whil'st you're at it, why not publicly criticise the New York Times for "... brazenly lying to its readers ... without any sort of repercussions..." ? 

In addition, feel free to apologise to the President for your characterisation of ".. brazenly lie to his people..." 

What are you on about? That's the exact report that states clearly that most heroin comes through the ports of entry. Like two sentences after that quote of yours:

'A small percentage of all heroin seized by CBP along the land border was between Ports of Entry'.

This means that, even with all of those thousands of miles of 'open border', the cartels already choose to take heroin through manned checkpoints. A border wall would be literally useless in stopping any drugs from coming through. They already come through available ports.

And what are you even saying about the NYT? They reported this entirely accurately and fairly (From Toast's link):

Most heroin smuggled into the United States does come through the southwest border, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration’s latest National Drug Threat Assessment report. But most of it is smuggled into the United States through legal ports of entry at the southern border, not through the desert, according to the Drug Enforcement Administration’s 2018 annual drug threat assessment.

There was no 'bait and switch'.

And why would I apologise to a guy who lies on average something like 17 times per day? A "World Leader" who has lied thousands (actual thousands) of times since being elected?

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4

2 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

What are you on about? That's the exact report that states clearly that most heroin comes through the ports of entry. Like two sentences after that quote of yours:

'A small percentage of all heroin seized by CBP along the land border was between Ports of Entry'.

This means that, even with all of those thousands of miles of 'open border', the cartels already choose to take heroin through manned checkpoints. A border wall would be literally useless in stopping any drugs from coming through. They already come through available ports.

And what are you even saying about the NYT? They reported this entirely accurately and fairly (From Toast's link):

There was no 'bait and switch'. 

OK, let’s argue it your way.  If we get better detection equipment at ports of entry.  Smugglers will then resort to using their mule trails to cross the border and then we’ll be right back at needing a wall.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

OK, let’s argue it your way.  If we get better detection equipment at ports of entry.  Smugglers will then resort to using their mule trails to cross the border and then we’ll be right back at needing a wall.

Still not seeing how that wall will stop drug smugglers from just passing drugs right through it or tossing it over.  Five billion on more border patrol agents would be more effective.  Why pick the least effective method to solve a problem? 

• Like 3

31 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Actually, Schumer was more like Lurch.  That would make Hilary, Thing.

I had to laugh,  Andy Cohen, a huge Trump hater said Pelosi and Schumer looked like the twins from The Shining. Too funny!

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, RavenHawk said:

Sure, just spend billions on something that very likely won't be effective anyway in case you one day manage to develop methods to stop drug smugglers from just driving across your border. Really tackling the problem head-on there pal.

And I'm pretty sure that even a literal barren of drug mules wouldn't be able to transport undetected a tiny percentage of the heroin that comes across by the ton in lorries. The real solution would be to spend those billions developing the methods you have envisioned. 

Let's be honest, the border wall is just a dog whistle. 

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, toast said:

Really? The New York Slimes?  

Here’s what the president said, and how it stacks up against the facts.

“The federal government remains shut down for one reason and one reason only: because Democrats will not fund border security.”

False.

Democrats have offered $1.3 billion in funding for border security measures like enhanced surveillance and fortified fencing. They do not support Mr. Trump’s border wall.

The Left plays very loosey goosey with the facts.   The Fact is Trump was talking about the Wall...the fact is that Trump has been talking about the Wall since he came down the escalator.  To Trump...The Wall IS Border security, because the Facts are that the Congress has been funding  'border security' for decades!  Where has it got us?  Do we have Border Security?  NO we do not!  It is Border Security...Real...In your face...in everyone's face...in the illegal immigrants face...in the drug dealer's face...in the terrorist's face...Real Border Security means a Wall.  The Democrats don't support the Wall Effort.  Why?  Most probably because they know it will WORK!

Edited by joc

this is happening in democrat controlled LA, this is what shumers , peloses.i and the rest of liberal fascists want usa look like.

1 hour ago, and then said:

Yet there are about 45 million Americans who chose his vision for the future over the plans of HRC.  It's your right to characterize his supporters as you wish but simply dismissing THAT many people who disagree with the Progressive agenda is kind of a futile, head-in-the-sand gesture, no?  I mean, right or wrong, they're Americans just like you and I and what they want should matter as well.

Firstly, I'm British.

And it could be 45 people, it could be 45 million. A lot of people voting for something does not make that thing automatically good or right.

I don't think that the leaders in the Progressive movement have grasped the lasting changes they've wrought within our Republic, based on their attempts to remove this man from office.  The media will never be given the benefit of a doubt in the future.  They straight up sold themselves publically to elect HRC, then to remove a duly elected president.

The backlash against the media was started by Trump himself. Its an old authoritarian tactic. You want the people to believe your BS, you get them to turn on the organisations who are positioned to expose you. It's not rocket science. 

They straight up sold themselves publically to elect HRC, then to remove a duly elected president.

The media are there to perform checks and balances on those in power. We should celebrate and independent media, and be very wary of outlets that are obvious mouthpieces for leadership *cough* Fox News *cough*. Stop looking at a media trying to "remove a duly elected president" and look instead at how that president got to power and whether or not he's fit to hold office. Do you really want a president who celebrates physical attacks on journalists?

But Trump supporters generally won't do this. The wall's getting built, less immigrants will be cluttering up the streets, the coal industry will be revived and women's rights are being curbed (Kavanagh's appointment will have a pretty significant impact on the longevity of the Roe vs Wade ruling for example - and don't get me started on Nonini). Its what the anti-progressives want, and will ignore all the horrors because their being appeased.

Again, the fact that you'd disagree with that statement doesn't negate the 45 million who think it's accurate so where do we go from here?

If one person can be wrong about something, so can 45 million. People don't think with a hive mind. More people voting for something does not make it right.

If this "crisis" in DC is costing us too dearly then wouldn't it make sense to just spend the 6 billion?

You really want a president who holds the country to ransom just to get his way on a campaign promise that makes no sense? You cannot build an impenetrable wall along the US/Mexico border. It's literally impossible. What happens when he gets his way with this? What's next? You cannot support politicians who act like this, it doesn't matter what they want.

You have to admit that the amount isn't the issue.  They were willing to trade 45 billion for DACA and he even offered a path for nearly 2 million immigrants but they rejected it. 

You're going to have to source this for me, I can't find any reference to it. 

2 hours ago, and then said:

They've rejected everything he has tried to do.  Everything.  It's ridiculous to act as though this is anything other than an all-out assault on his presidency, then when he's out, it will continue until he's broke and behind bars unless someone intervenes on his behalf.  This is WAY deeper than R's and D's.  This is global government advocates imposing their will on the U.S., using our own representatives to accomplish it.  It should be sobering to any American who loves what our country was meant to be.

That's simply paranoid nonsense. It doesn't have to be "deeper than Rs and Ds", when you have someone as ridiculous as Trump in charge. His ideas won't work, and many (like getting rid of DACA) are projected to cost the country billions in the long run. But all the Trump supporter can see is treason and treachery and a leader that can do no wrong. From the outside looking in its baffling.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3
  • Haha 1

Just now, joc said:

Really? The New York Slimes?  

The Left plays very loosey goosey with the facts.   The Fact is Trump was talking about the Wall...the fact is that Trump has been talking about the Wall since he came down the escalator.  To Trump...The Wall IS Border security, because the Facts are that the Congress has been funding  'border security' for decades!  Where has it got us?  Do we have Border Security?  NO we do not!  It is Border Security...Real...In your face...in everyone's face...in the illegal immigrants face...in the drug dealer's face...in the terrorist's face...Real Border Security means a Wall.  The Democrats don't support the Wall Effort.  Why?  Most probably because they know it will WORK!

Trump's Bedminster Golf Course has a $300,000 membership fee, a wall, a guarded gate and yet he couldn't keep illegals out.  Why should I trust him or you when you say, "It will work?"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3