Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

General tournament chat

joc

5 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

you do quite good for just 50 games, Dany. But it's fun. Not sure if I call my self a pro lol, but I am a life member of United States Chess Federation. Chess was my main thing in life until I met Wifie. I knew that I had to get out of chess when the kids came on board. Really haven't played much since. Last game was about 3,4 years ago.

I think I can only take so much lossing. Probably why I never got into it and why I hate Golf. Think I'll prey on people with poor scores on RHP to make myself feel better. 

We can start another game if your interested, it is fun, but I realise I'll probably not beat someone with your experience anytime soon.

Edited by danydandan

19 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I see I'm well below the average amount of moves in a game which 40. Has anyone got to a 40 move game?

not with me. But I have a game with AtlantisRises that should go a way

5 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I think I can only take so much lossing. Probably why I never got into it and why I hate Golf. Think I'll prey on people with poor scores on RHP to make myself feel better. 

We can start another game if your interested, it is fun, but I realise I'll probably not beat someone with your experience anytime soon.

Ok, you chall and you take white

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

Here is a thought...

Don't play alot of games at once.  Play one.  Focus on it.  Play out scenarios on the analysis board.  Ask yourself questions like....Why did he move there?  Where does he expect me to move and why?  If I move here, where can I expect him to move...and why? If you are unsure where to move or why...try to move a piece that does the least harm.

You are a thinker Danny Boy...and chess is a thinking game...but...it takes time and it takes patience....patience to think...

Once you slow down and start asking yourself questions and playing it out on the analysis board, you will no doubt gain some insight you didn't have before.  Just understand one thing...your opponenet is most definitely asking him/herself those questions. :)

I just quit a game with Still Waters after like 2 moves :lol: lol. 

I was so unfocused and made such a carless mistake costing me my queen, it hurts haha 

Edited by spartan max2

8 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I was so unfocused and made such a carless mistake costing me my queen, it hurts haha 

Hence....the analysis board...

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Still Waters has me bottled up.  She's playing a cozy defense, no pawns exchanged, and little way for me to develop. But it's cool

And how the heck did you lose a Q in such little time!?

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, joc said:

Here is a thought...

Don't play alot of games at once.  Play one.  Focus on it.  Play out scenarios on the analysis board.  Ask yourself questions like....Why did he move there?  Where does he expect me to move and why?  If I move here, where can I expect him to move...and why? If you are unsure where to move or why...try to move a piece that does the least harm.

You are a thinker Danny Boy...and chess is a thinking game...but...it takes time and it takes patience....patience to think...

Once you slow down and start asking yourself questions and playing it out on the analysis board, you will no doubt gain some insight you didn't have before.  Just understand one thing...your opponenet is most definitely asking him/herself those questions. :)

For the last two days I have been reading up on openings and progressively attacking rather than defending, there is a lot to take in. It's beautiful and quite overwhelming.

Edited by danydandan

6 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Still Waters has me bottled up.  She's playing a cozy defense, no pawns exchanged, and little way for me to develop. But it's cool

And how the heck did you lose a Q in such little time!?

She literally just moved her horse twice, and me sipping my coffee, doing my first move of the day, completely ignores that the horse is threating my queen and instead moves my pawn to threaten her horse lol

But its cool, got to get these careless mistakes out before the  tournament lol

1 minute ago, spartan max2 said:

She literally just moved her horse twice, and me sipping my coffee, doing my first move of the day, completely ignores that the horse is threating my queen and instead moves my pawn to threaten her horse lol

But its cool, got to get these careless mistakes out before the  tournament lol

I gotta look that game up Who had white?

1 minute ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I gotta look that game up Who had white?

Still Waters, you can see that the queen didn't get took yet because I instantly realized my mistake and quit :lol:

3 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

Still Waters, you can see that the queen didn't get took yet because I instantly realized my mistake and quit :lol:

How do you look at others games?

4 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

not sure I have the heart to tell you but your queen is NOT lost, SM2. Were you asleep?

• Haha 1

Just now, danydandan said:

click on the players full profile, look to the options on the left and one of them will be to "View games", click that and it has all the games they played or are playing

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

the "View Games"  button across the top

Just now, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

not sure I have the heart to tell you but your queen is NOT lost, SM2. Were you asleep?

God dam.... you are right, dam I must be asleep this morning. :lol:

Lol. Still waters made two moves with the Knight, that's IT. and she gets the win LOL!  so sorry, my man

• Haha 1

Just now, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Lol. Still waters made two moves with the Knight, that's IT. and she gets the win LOL!  so sorry, my man

Yeah, complete brain fart, enjoy the win Still Waters lol. Lesson learned. 

Hey, tell Still WAters that I had to WORK to get your queen away form you LOL

11 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

the "View Games"  button across the top

I don't think I can do that on the application on my phone.

Edited by danydandan

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

ask @joc maybe?

50 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

ask @joc maybe?

54 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I don't know how but I'll look into it...the phone app is a bit different....

I have been rather cavalier with my games. You definitely need patience, concentration and time. A lack of time is my main problem. Due to other pressures during the day I can only snatch a few minutes. When we begin the competition proper I hope to perform better.

It's been a long time since I played - 50 years or so! I got a chess board and book as a present when I was 10 years old. The whole family went mad on chess for years after that but I stopped playing for various reasons in my mid-teens. I have honestly forgotten a lot of chess plays and gambits but I'm looking forward to this.