Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

General tournament chat

joc

5 hours ago, danydandan said:

For the last two days I have been reading up on openings and progressively attacking rather than defending, there is a lot to take in. It's beautiful and quite overwhelming.

It is a bit overwhelming ...so many different choices....just like life....and all of them have consequences.

2 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

I have been rather cavalier with my games. You definitely need patience, concentration and time. A lack of time is my main problem. Due to other pressures during the day I can only snatch a few minutes. When we begin the competition proper I hope to perform better.

It's been a long time since I played - 50 years or so! I got a chess board and book as a present when I was 10 years old. The whole family went mad on chess for years after that but I stopped playing for various reasons in my mid-teens. I have honestly forgotten a lot of chess plays and gambits but I'm looking forward to this.

I think the last time I played was 2009 when we had the last UM Tournament....kind of like riding a bicycle though...you never really forget how to do it.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, spartan max2 said:

Yeah, complete brain fart, enjoy the win Still Waters lol. Lesson learned. 

Spartan, good games, bro.  If you want another we may have time. No start date has been set.

• Like 1

@joc   Did you see my suggestion about participants displaying an orange "Chess Tourney Participant" banner under their avatar ?  Might get more folks to know the tourney is going on

Just now, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

@joc   Did you see my suggestion about participants displaying an orange "Chess Tourney Participant" banner under their avatar ?  Might get more folks to know the tourney is going on

That is Saru's department... 

I think though that anyone perusing the forums board will see it.  We'll give it some time...no hurries...a lot of people check in here and there and new people are checking out the forum everyday.

In the meanwhile...

Challenge away...while they don't count :)

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Spartan, good games, bro.  If you want another we may have time. No start date has been set.

Yeah sounds good, I'll start one up tomorrow 

• Like 1

@danydandan   What's up?

this is your best game by far.  You had a minor oops and lost a pea but the position is very good. I have to try something aggressive here. Don't know if it works, but it does get the pieces more involved. That makes you utilize an area of chess you are weak at, which is keeping track of pieces LOL.

2 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

@danydandan   What's up?

this is your best game by far.  You had a minor oops and lost a pea but the position is very good. I have to try something aggressive here. Don't know if it works, but it does get the pieces more involved. That makes you utilize an area of chess you are weak at, which is keeping track of pieces LOL.

All I'm doing testing out controlling the centre. As per an article I read by Wesley So apparently he's quite good, I don't know. Don't worry I don't expect to win I'm just testing strategy because I'm a layman.

1 minute ago, danydandan said:

All I'm doing testing out controlling the centre. As per an article I read by Wesley So apparently he's quite good, I don't know. Don't worry I don't expect to win I'm just testing strategy because I'm a layman.

YOu're handling the center very well. It's a static game right now. I see no apparent weaknesses and have to try to create one. We'll see. these types of ventures can blow up in your face as easily as work for you. but I sent my move

7 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

that's a good move, Dany

Hopefully it's aggressive So tells me it's how I should play. 

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Hopefully it's aggressive So tells me it's how I should play. 

Yes, aggressive. I can't drive it out with f6? because that creates a weakness at g6 and you just play Ng6, hitting the rook and bishop.  Gonna be a while on this one.

1 minute ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Yes, aggressive. I can't drive it out with f6? because that creates a weakness at g6 and you just play Ng6, hitting the rook and bishop.  Gonna be a while on this one.

Well that was the plan, but you had to go a ruin it. 

Well that was the plan, but you had to go a ruin it. 

LOL, I'm old, but not yet completely senile :)

8 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Why am I encouraging you, Dany :cry:   This could hurt LOL

I honestly appreciate the games and encouragement from a person who obviously knows and has played a lot of chess. If I was a betting man I'd throw a few Euro's on you to win the tournament.

4 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I honestly appreciate the games and encouragement from a person who obviously knows and has played a lot of chess. If I was a betting man I'd throw a few Euro's on you to win the tournament.

My pleasure, Dany.  Now, I'm on the ropes with AtalantisRises so he's decent.  But it's this new kid on the block, NukeUM that said he was going to take the whole thing down. Maybe, but if I play him, you bet the BIG board is coming out and I'll be pouring over every move :D

PS: I'm looking at Bd6 right now.

• Haha 1

33 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

My pleasure, Dany.  Now, I'm on the ropes with AtalantisRises so he's decent.  But it's this new kid on the block, NukeUM that said he was going to take the whole thing down. Maybe, but if I play him, you bet the BIG board is coming out and I'll be pouring over every move :D

PS: I'm looking at Bd6 right now.

I hope that move changes your mind and I can play offside. 

Mon ami, @danydandan,   Here is where you need lessons. 

Sometimes the most exciting plays in chess involve "sacrifices" - that is, giving up material to gain positional advantage, in hopes of winning by regaining the material and/or blowing open a King's fortress. This is NOT such a case here, and your Nxd5(pawn) is a loss of material with no rela purpose. a pawn = 1 point, a knight = 3 points, you lost 2 points on the move and that is a game changer most of the time.

positional considerations:   You gain little and give up more on this one. YEs, your rook has the semi open file now but you now made my Bishop at b7 have total acess to the diagonal, hitting the pea i n front of your king at g2. 

Overall, not good, bro Dany. My attack will commence with ease now.

8 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Mon ami, @danydandan,   Here is where you need lessons. 

Sometimes the most exciting plays in chess involve "sacrifices" - that is, giving up material to gain positional advantage, in hopes of winning by regaining the material and/or blowing open a King's fortress. This is NOT such a case here, and your Nxd5(pawn) is a loss of material with no rela purpose. a pawn = 1 point, a knight = 3 points, you lost 2 points on the move and that is a game changer most of the time.

positional considerations:   You gain little and give up more on this one. YEs, your rook has the semi open file now but you now made my Bishop at b7 have total acess to the diagonal, hitting the pea i n front of your king at g2. 

Overall, not good, bro Dany. My attack will commence with ease now.

You made one of the moves I expected you to make, not the one I wanted however. I was hoping your queen would make an appearance. My idea was you'd look to restrict my movements on the right and centre. While I tried to play offside.

Edited by danydandan

You made one of the moves I expected you to make, not the one I wanted however. I was hoping your queen would make an appearance.

Well, my Qh4 is tempting yes, but I still have that option.  The timing has to be right. Qh4 may provoke a weakness if you try to drive it out with g3, say. We'll see.

10 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Well, my Qh4 is tempting yes, but I still have that option.  The timing has to be right. Qh4 may provoke a weakness if you try to drive it out with g3, say. We'll see.

My most recent move was a mistake. Being aggressive for aggressiveness sake.

Edited by danydandan

2 minutes ago, danydandan said:

My most recent move was a mistake.

I think so. I'll likely pull my rook right behind the bishop that your Q is hitting. Then what??  Well, it gives my rook a superior file to be on and your Q looks kinda hung out there LOL. My rook no w threatens to get in the game at your b2 pawn.  Another weakness 

10 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

I think so. I'll likely pull my rook right behind the bishop that your Q is hitting. Then what??  Well, it gives my rook a superior file to be on and your Q looks kinda hung out there LOL. My rook no w threatens to get in the game at your b2 pawn.  Another weakness 

I'm starting to think a pen and paper will help me. I have about three moves for each of your potential ones and I extrapolate two moves for each of us based on the three of my potentials. Then I bloody forget what I thought was the best move.

Worst part is when you don't make a move I predicted, such a waste of brain energy.

Edited by danydandan

6 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Worst part is when you don't make a move I predicted, such a waste of brain energy.

Then world champion Bobby Fischer was once asked how many moves ahead he looks. Fischer said, "Sometimes I can't see one move ahead"  

Join the club ;)

• Like 2