Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
joc

General tournament chat

619 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

AtlantisRises
3 hours ago, danydandan said:

Only once. Didn't you beat me on or second turn?

Is paying a membership on that RHP.com site worth it? I've been invited to join a clan or something, WTF is a clan?

I am enjoying the member benefits on RHP.

The Clan system is where one group of players challenges another group of players. They pair you off against similarly strength players based on your ratings and you play a couple games and the team with the most wins, wins.

It is a good social way to play chess.

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ozymandias

Joc44, I've started our last game.

Liquid Gardens, I've started our two games.

These three games are my last games to play in this tournament. Let's get it done!

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
joc

They came out today...but I still have no internet.

I have another company  coming out Tuesday.  I will be back on line then and will resume Score updates and my games then.

I will update Tuesday afternoon. 

Apologies but this has all been beyond my control.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
1 hour ago, joc said:

They came out today...but I still have no internet.

I have another company  coming out Tuesday.  I will be back on line then and will resume Score updates and my games then.

I will update Tuesday afternoon. 

Apologies but this has all been beyond my control.  

No need to apologise Joc.

But I think we should all gang up on @AtlantisRises and see if we have the collective intelligence/skill to trouble him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AtlantisRises
24 minutes ago, danydandan said:

No need to apologise Joc.

But I think we should all gang up on @AtlantisRises and see if we have the collective intelligence/skill to trouble him.

Collaborative chess is an interesting idea. I don't know if it would increase or decrease your strength though.

Would certainly give it a try if you worked outa system.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
26 minutes ago, AtlantisRises said:

Collaborative chess is an interesting idea. I don't know if it would increase or decrease your strength though.

Would certainly give it a try if you worked outa system.

I think you'd need an odd number on each team to ensure a majority is always reached for a move. 

So for example, 3vs3. Two players suggests a move once per turn, these two moves are then voted on. The winning move is then used. But I assume there would be endless debate and the games would last decades. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AtlantisRises
16 minutes ago, danydandan said:

I think you'd need an odd number on each team to ensure a majority is always reached for a move. 

So for example, 3vs3. Two players suggests a move once per turn, these two moves are then voted on. The winning move is then used. But I assume there would be endless debate and the games would last decades. 

I know Kasparov (I think) played a game (or series of games) against the world in the late 90s early '00s. Won pretty easily.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
49 minutes ago, AtlantisRises said:

I know Kasparov (I think) played a game (or series of games) against the world in the late 90s early '00s. Won pretty easily.

How did he manage that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AtlantisRises
1 hour ago, danydandan said:

How did he manage that?

Actually reading up on it he said it was the hardest game he had ever played

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasparov_versus_the_World

This explains it far better then I can summarize.

It was an early days of the internet demonstration. I recall reading about it in one of my nerd magazines at the time, however regional South Australia did not yet have the capacity for me to take part. 12 year old AR would not have made a great deal of difference I imagine.

 

  • Thanks 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
29 minutes ago, AtlantisRises said:

Actually reading up on it he said it was the hardest game he had ever played

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kasparov_versus_the_World

This explains it far better then I can summarize.

It was an early days of the internet demonstration. I recall reading about it in one of my nerd magazines at the time, however regional South Australia did not yet have the capacity for me to take part. 12 year old AR would not have made a great deal of difference I imagine.

 

Wow, what a match. 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AtlantisRises

Yep. Kasparov was a great ambassador for chess. He was quite a personable guy. He played a lot of demonstration matches, blindfold stuff etc.

He did more to encourage non-chessplayers to get into the game then any world champion ever has.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
7 minutes ago, AtlantisRises said:

Yep. Kasparov was a great ambassador for chess. He was quite a personable guy. He played a lot of demonstration matches, blindfold stuff etc.

He did more to encourage non-chessplayers to get into the game then any world champion ever has.

I especially like how he was reading all the messages between The World Team in their chat room. That's a stroke of genius.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pettytalk
On 4/2/2019 at 3:10 AM, danydandan said:

Jesus Lads, I just checked the league table I have bloody 19 points.

I might come third or fourth depending on results elsewhere. What the hell is going on? 

Is there a third round?

Yes! And a fourth and fifth, and so on, as the game never ends. You've improved with every game...and god knows you may even be second or first by the time the next UM tournament comes around. You may be a natural at chess, and did not know it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Pettytalk
6 hours ago, AtlantisRises said:

Collaborative chess is an interesting idea. I don't know if it would increase or decrease your strength though.

Would certainly give it a try if you worked outa system.

That would be easy enough. Dan can play you, and before his moves he would confer with the rest of us losers and come up with the move that gets the most votes from our group. It would then be a collective loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

Yes! And a fourth and fifth, and so on, as the game never ends. You've improved with every game...and god knows you may even be second or first by the time the next UM tournament comes around. You may be a natural at chess, and did not know it.

You would not think that if you seen the current game @Earl.Of.Trumps and I are having. He has me check-mated, but in my defense I was experimenting. 

Earl I'll chalk this experiment up as a negative.

Edited by danydandan
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
2 hours ago, Pettytalk said:

That would be easy enough. Dan can play you, and before his moves he would confer with the rest of us losers and come up with the move that gets the most votes from our group. It would then be a collective loss.

How about we do it?

@AtlantisRises would you be interested?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AtlantisRises
2 hours ago, danydandan said:

How about we do it?

@AtlantisRises would you be interested?

Absolutely. Send me a game anytime. Perhaps with longer time controls as I imagine it will be difficult for you to be very speedy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
11 minutes ago, AtlantisRises said:

Absolutely. Send me a game anytime. Perhaps with longer time controls as I imagine it will be difficult for you to be very speedy.

Cool.,

We will need to find away to communicate with out you being able to see. 

Can you add multiple people to a private message on here?

@joc, @Still Waters, @Saru, @Pettytalk, @Earl.Of.Trumps, @Ozymandias, @Liquid Gardens, @-Nuke-, @spartan max2, @Podo and anyone else who is interested in doing to this let me know.

I suppose we should wait until after the tournament.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AtlantisRises
3 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Cool.,

We will need to find away to communicate with out you being able to see. 

Can you add multiple people to a private message on here?

@joc, @Still Waters, @Saru, @Pettytalk, @Earl.Of.Trumps, @Ozymandias, @Liquid Gardens, @-Nuke-, @spartan max2, @Podo and anyone else who is interested in doing to this let me know.

I suppose we should wait until after the tournament.

Saru could probably create a forum and allow certain members to view it or specifically exclude me from viewing it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
spartan max2
Posted (edited)
19 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Cool.,

We will need to find away to communicate with out you being able to see. 

Can you add multiple people to a private message on here?

@joc, @Still Waters, @Saru, @Pettytalk, @Earl.Of.Trumps, @Ozymandias, @Liquid Gardens, @-Nuke-, @spartan max2, @Podo and anyone else who is interested in doing to this let me know.

I suppose we should wait until after the tournament.

I'm definitely up for playing matches again. My schedule will lighten up alot in a few weeks.

I'm bummed I had to drop out of the tourny but I'll do it next year lol.

Who is winning so far?

 

Edit: slowly realizing I might not actually know what this message is about lol

Edited by spartan max2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
danydandan
12 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

I'm definitely up for playing matches again. My schedule will lighten up alot in a few weeks.

I'm bummed I had to drop out of the tourny but I'll do it next year lol.

Who is winning so far?

 

Edit: slowly realizing I might not actually know what this message is about lol

Yeah, sorry.

It was about a match between Atlantis Rises vs a collective of us. 

But if you are looking for a game or two I'm open to a challenge.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Earl.Of.Trumps
44 minutes ago, danydandan said:

Cool.,

We will need to find away to communicate with out you being able to see. 

Can you add multiple people to a private message on here?

@joc, @Still Waters, @Saru, @Pettytalk, @Earl.Of.Trumps, @Ozymandias, @Liquid Gardens, @-Nuke-, @spartan max2, @Podo and anyone else who is interested in doing to this let me know.

I suppose we should wait until after the tournament.

It's not the number of people that determines it, it's the average respondant. you can have twenty people but AR would only see one move. And it is not from the best player or two, it is the most common response. But I suppose it can be fun. it keeps people in a link

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ozymandias
5 hours ago, danydandan said:

Cool.,

We will need to find away to communicate with out you being able to see. 

Can you add multiple people to a private message on here?

@joc, @Still Waters, @Saru, @Pettytalk, @Earl.Of.Trumps, @Ozymandias, @Liquid Gardens, @-Nuke-, @spartan max2, @Podo and anyone else who is interested in doing to this let me know.

I suppose we should wait until after the tournament.

I'm ****e at chess - I don't have the patience or time for it - so I'll have to bow out. Thanks anyway. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Nuke-
16 hours ago, danydandan said:

I especially like how he was reading all the messages between The World Team in their chat room. That's a stroke of genius.

Kaspy sat #1 for so longgggg Anand... tal.. no one could pass his elo .. once u 2700+ everyone is close but he was another level

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
-Nuke-
Posted (edited)

Edit

Edited by -Nuke-

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.