Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Radio signals from deep space detected

Commander CMG

Astronomers have revealed details of mysterious signals emanating from a distant galaxy, picked up by a telescope in Canada.

The precise nature and origin of the blasts of radio waves is unknown.

Among the 13 bursts of fast radio waves, known as FRBs, was a very unusual repeating signal, coming from the same source about 1.5 billion light years away. 

Such an event has only been reported once before, by a different telescope.

"Knowing that there is another suggests that there could be more out there," said Ingrid Stairs, an astrophysicist from the University of British Columbia (UBC).

"And with more repeaters and more sources available for study, we may be able to understand these cosmic puzzles - where they're from and what causes them."

The CHIME observatory, located in British Columbia's Okanagan Valley, consists of four 100-metre-long, semi-cylindrical antennas, which scan the entire northern sky each day.

Source

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Is this of the nature of a WOW! signal, a Gosh! signal, or a :hmm: signal? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 6

1 minute ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Is this of the nature of a WOW! signal, a Gosh! signal, or a :hmm: signal? 

Probably just a signal, I posted it here to make things more exciting. However you never know??? 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

Probably just a signal, I posted it here to make things more exciting. However you never know??? 

If it was some sort of cosmic morse code, we would have seen a pattern in it, after a short analysis. It can't be totally excluded that we missed it, but it is unlikely.

• Thanks 1

Does it contain a looped clip of Adolf Hitler at the 1936 Olympics? and does anyone know what on earth I'm talking about? 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

Does it contain a looped clip of Adolf Hitler at the 1936 Olympics? and does anyone know what on earth I'm talking about? 

55 minutes ago, Iilaa'mpuul'xem said:

coming from the same source about 1.5 billion light years away

That signal has only traveled 80 light years away from Earth, and is very very weak :D

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 1

The radio burst signal strength is equivalent to about 500 million suns. If it was ET I would probably give them a wide berth.    

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I think it's probably from ETs.  It seems as though advanced civilizations would likely emit radio waves, as humans emit radio waves.  So, that would make the most sense to me.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

I think it's probably from ETs.  It seems as though advanced civilizations would likely emit radio waves, as humans emit radio waves.  So, that would make the most sense to me.

Radio waves are not a human invention. It's a discovery. Nature makes them all the time.

These FRB's have no detected pattern, so if they are made by ET's, they are seemingly pointless. And as L.A.T.1961 said: 

9 minutes ago, L.A.T.1961 said:

The radio burst signal strength is equivalent to about 500 million suns.

So the sender is most probably something equivalent to a black hole in mass.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1.5 billion light years away??  think of how incredibly strong that signal had to be in it's origin for us to pick it up. 

Not created by ET. It's a solar event of some kind

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, even if it was ETs, considering it comes form somewhere 1,5 Billion light years away, they're probably gone by now.

But yeah, I agree with sci-nerd, a Neutron Star

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Orphalesion said:

Well, even if it was ETs, considering it comes form somewhere 1,5 Billion light years away, they're probably gone by now.

A long long long time ago, in a galaxy far far far away... :D

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

If the explanation for the repeating Fast Radio Burst  were as simple as a rapidly spinning neutron star (pulsar), why would the astronomers not recognize it as such, instead of looking for a new and different explanation? A pulsar would presumably give a continuous series of regular, rapid pulses, so there would be a great many of them, not just a few, as reported.

Any 'one-shot' explanation, such as the collision of one neutron star with another, or with some other formidable space object, or the collapse of a massive object in space, could not reasonably explain repeating pulses, over a relatively short period of time, from the same precise location in space.    

• Like 2

6 hours ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

1.5 billion light years away.. so what ever was there is over a billion years old and probably long gone if it was ET's

Interestingly, a few hours before aliens arrive in my room to abduct or visit me, there seems to be a pattern where there is an odd radio static that has a strange tapping sound to it.  Maybe this and the signal is some sort of code, like a form of morse code?  Just a thought, maybe I'm way off base here on this being related to the signal that the scientists found. Just sharing my observations here.

Edited by BuddingPsychic1111
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

Interestingly, a few hours before aliens arrive in my room to abduct or visit me, there seems to be a pattern where there is an odd radio static that has a strange tapping sound to it.  Maybe this and the signal is some sort of code, like a form of morse code?  Just a thought, maybe I'm way off base here on this being related to the signal that the scientists found. Just sharing my observations here.

You can ruin any thread, can't you.

• Like 4

24 minutes ago, moonman said:

You can ruin any thread, can't you.

No, I'm just sharing my observations. I've seen the aliens, and I can give my report of that.  I feel that this may be relevant to the signal, since the extraterrestrials that have visited and abducted me seem to be able to **** with radio waves.  

But I never saw or heard this signal, so who knows.  Just saying my experience may be relevant, and given my direct face to face experience with aliens, it's possible my experience is relevant. But maybe not.  There are probably thousands if not millions of civilization in the universe, and I have only interacted with a few alien species.  

I don't even know that this signal with aliens, just saying I think that is probably the case.  And if scientists were as smart as they say they are, they would take my experiences and the experiences of other contactees seriously.  Because the things that we have seen could advance science by leaps and bounds if scientists started taking us contactees seriously.

The government wants to cover all this up.  But any real scientist would be willing to take us contactees seriously. Because it isn't just me who has seem them.  Millions of people have seen UFOs and many thousands or even millions have been abducted or visited by extraterrestrial entities.

• Confused 1

47 minutes ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

No, I'm just sharing my observations.

Your "observations" are nothing but the psychotic rantings of a disturbed mind, and seeing them pollute every thread is getting seriously old.

If even 1% of the crap you spew was true, you'd have the so much recordable evidence of it that it would put serious researchers to shame  - yet you have nothing to show for it but crazy ranting.

Edited by moonman
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

@moonman Do Not Feed The Troll.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

@moonman Do Not Feed The Troll.

What? Aliens have started to abduct trolls?! Serves them right.

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

No, I'm just sharing my observations. I've seen the aliens, and I can give my report of that.  I feel that this may be relevant to the signal, since the extraterrestrials that have visited and abducted me seem to be able to **** with radio waves.  

But I never saw or heard this signal, so who knows.  Just saying my experience may be relevant, and given my direct face to face experience with aliens, it's possible my experience is relevant. But maybe not.  There are probably thousands if not millions of civilization in the universe, and I have only interacted with a few alien species.  

I don't even know that this signal with aliens, just saying I think that is probably the case.  And if scientists were as smart as they say they are, they would take my experiences and the experiences of other contactees seriously.  Because the things that we have seen could advance science by leaps and bounds if scientists started taking us contactees seriously.

The government wants to cover all this up.  But any real scientist would be willing to take us contactees seriously. Because it isn't just me who has seem them.  Millions of people have seen UFOs and many thousands or even millions have been abducted or visited by extraterrestrial entities.

Oh dear, this whole post makes me nervous for your neighbors if you believe what you've typed. @BuddingPsychic1111, here is a number you may want to call; 1-800-950--NAMI (6264) or text "home" to 741741. Get some help for the problems you are displaying in your posts.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, BuddingPsychic1111 said:

I don't even know that this signal with aliens, just saying I think that is probably the case.

Probably! ...not.

And if scientists were as smart as they say they are, they would take my experiences and the experiences of other contactees seriously.  Because the things that we have seen could advance science by leaps and bounds if scientists started taking us contactees seriously.

If these experiences were ET in nature and they were objectively verifiable then yes, sure... but unfortunately these experiences are not either of those things. When you start providing hard evidence for your claims then you can expect to be taken seriously.

Nonsensical claptrap. If this were the case then we would have more evidence than "mysterious" scars and sh*tty camera footage.