Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Cambodian jailed for insulting the King

Eldorado

A Cambodian court jailed a man on Wednesday for three years for insulting the king in Facebook posts, the second known conviction under a new lese majeste law enacted last year, which rights groups fear could be used to stifle dissent.

“The court announced a verdict against Ieng Cholsa which sentenced him to 3 years in prison and ordered him to pay five million riels ($1,250),” Phnom Penh Municipal Court spokesman Y Rin said.

Full report: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-cambodia-king/cambodian-jailed-for-three-years-for-insulting-king-on-facebook-idUSKCN1P31OD

15 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

which rights groups fear could be used to stifle dissent

Ya think?  Somewhat similar actions are being taken in the EU also.  Those fines (mostly) are usually reserved for those who have the cheek to insult the Prophet within the hearing of a Muslim.  The so-called High Court members actually justified the overt censorship by claiming they were keeping the peace or some such nonsense.  When you think about the implications of such cowardice and lack of regard for freedom of speech, those who can flee should be making plans.  Assuming they aren't willing to stand and fight.  In America, we used to have a saying when I was a kid:  "You can't fight City Hall" (local government).  Today, I'd answer - wanna bet?

I wonder what things would look like if we jailed everybody in America that insults Trump.....LOL

• Haha 1

Meh.. it's a pathetic backwards country. 

And Cambodia isn't much better ! :D 

• Haha 2