Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Eldorado

Link between size of belly and size of brain

17 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

Eldorado

Overweight people have smaller brains than the rest of us, scientists have found – and it could be a sign that excess weight causes brains to shrink.

Researchers from Loughborough University found that people with a high body mass index (BMI) and high waist-to-hip ratio had brains 12 cubic centimetres smaller.

The study looked at 9,652 people with an average age of 55, and used magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to work out brain volumes.

Overweight people had lower levels of grey matter – which contains most of the brain’s nerve cells and includes brain regions involved in self-control, muscle control and sensory perception.

Full report: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/overweight-people-actually-smaller-brains-120817707.html?

At LiveScience: https://www.livescience.com/64454-belly-fat-brain-shrinkage.html

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
and then

Just wonderful... Another fat joke meme.  ;)   It will be interesting to see the methodology they used and how they nailed down the specific variables in the study.  If they aren't spurious, the question is, does the obesity actually lead to the reduced volume in those areas or does the "shrinkage" promote obesity?  

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ouija ouija

Doesn't it seem more likely that it is less grey matter, to quote: 'which contains most of the brain’s nerve cells and includes brain regions involved in self-control, muscle control and sensory perception', that is precipitating weight gain rather than the other way round? 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
4 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Doesn't it seem more likely that it is less grey matter, to quote: 'which contains most of the brain’s nerve cells and includes brain regions involved in self-control, muscle control and sensory perception', that is precipitating weight gain rather than the other way round? 

"While our study found obesity, especially around the middle, was associated with lower gray matter brain volumes, it's unclear if abnormalities in brain structure lead to obesity or if obesity leads to these changes in the brain," said Hamer. "We also found links between obesity and shrinkage in specific regions of the brain. This will need further research but it may be possible that someday regularly measuring BMI and waist-to-hip ratio may help determine brain health."

A limitation of the study was that only 5 percent of those invited to participate in the study took part, and those who participated tended to be healthier than those who did not, so the results may not reflect the population as a whole

At Eurekalert: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-01/aaon-seb010719.php

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute

A study suggests a link between size of belly and size of cider can?

This is not news to me. :mellow:

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Doesn't it seem more likely that it is less grey matter,

I doubt if brains are actually shrinking, but the grey matter can turn to useless squidgy stuff.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
49 minutes ago, acute said:

A study suggests a link between size of belly and size of cider can?

This is not news to me. :mellow:

I really must introduce you to my new exercise and diet program. :yes:

  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I really must introduce you to my new exercise and diet program. :yes:

Thank you Piney, that would be very helpful. :)

Please send the details to acute@shoveyourexerciseupyourbumhole.co.uk

  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
12 minutes ago, acute said:

Thank you Piney, that would be very helpful. :)

Please send the details to acute@shoveyourexerciseupyourbumhole.co.uk

But it's simple and effective. All you do is run down vegan co-eds with a 90cc chainsaw and eat them. High protein diet and exercise in the same step. :yes:

 

 

  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
acute
3 minutes ago, Piney said:

But it's simple and effective. All you do is run down vegan co-eds with a 90cc chainsaw and eat them. High protein diet and exercise in the same step. :yes:

I dunno, it sounds complicated.

Can't you just do some lipochainsawsuction and cut my fat off?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
2 minutes ago, acute said:

I dunno, it sounds complicated.

Can't you just do some lipochainsawsuction and cut my fat off?

I donno, carving bars aren't roller and wear out easy. It could have cost overruns. :unsure2:

  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
13 minutes ago, acute said:

I dunno, it sounds complicated.

 

It's not as complicated or as strenuous as one might think. Co-eds running from chainsaw wielding maniacs always fall down after the first 2 meters. ^_^

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
moonman

So fat and stupid is actually a thing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer

If you can use the belly as a table sitting stright up and stand a beer on it then its time for you to go on a diet, no more family pizzas and a diet coke

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
and then
8 hours ago, moonman said:

So fat and stupid is actually a thing.

Not one you should bet too much on. ;) 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77

I think the correlation may lie more in how you get to obese than actually being obese. Garbage foods, limited exercise and limited requirement for real world brain processing.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
On 1/10/2019 at 11:26 PM, Farmer77 said:

I think the correlation may lie more in how you get to obese than actually being obese. Garbage foods, limited exercise and limited requirement for real world brain processing.

Brain work does burn calories.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.