Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Link between size of belly and size of brain

Eldorado

Overweight people have smaller brains than the rest of us, scientists have found – and it could be a sign that excess weight causes brains to shrink.

Researchers from Loughborough University found that people with a high body mass index (BMI) and high waist-to-hip ratio had brains 12 cubic centimetres smaller.

The study looked at 9,652 people with an average age of 55, and used magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) to work out brain volumes.

Overweight people had lower levels of grey matter – which contains most of the brain’s nerve cells and includes brain regions involved in self-control, muscle control and sensory perception.

Full report: https://uk.news.yahoo.com/overweight-people-actually-smaller-brains-120817707.html?

At LiveScience: https://www.livescience.com/64454-belly-fat-brain-shrinkage.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4
  • Haha 2

Just wonderful... Another fat joke meme.  ;)   It will be interesting to see the methodology they used and how they nailed down the specific variables in the study.  If they aren't spurious, the question is, does the obesity actually lead to the reduced volume in those areas or does the "shrinkage" promote obesity?  

• Like 3

Doesn't it seem more likely that it is less grey matter, to quote: 'which contains most of the brain’s nerve cells and includes brain regions involved in self-control, muscle control and sensory perception', that is precipitating weight gain rather than the other way round? 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ouija ouija said:

Doesn't it seem more likely that it is less grey matter, to quote: 'which contains most of the brain’s nerve cells and includes brain regions involved in self-control, muscle control and sensory perception', that is precipitating weight gain rather than the other way round? 

"While our study found obesity, especially around the middle, was associated with lower gray matter brain volumes, it's unclear if abnormalities in brain structure lead to obesity or if obesity leads to these changes in the brain," said Hamer. "We also found links between obesity and shrinkage in specific regions of the brain. This will need further research but it may be possible that someday regularly measuring BMI and waist-to-hip ratio may help determine brain health."

A limitation of the study was that only 5 percent of those invited to participate in the study took part, and those who participated tended to be healthier than those who did not, so the results may not reflect the population as a whole

At Eurekalert: https://www.eurekalert.org/pub_releases/2019-01/aaon-seb010719.php

• Like 3

• The title was changed to Link between size of belly and size of brain

A study suggests a link between size of belly and size of cider can?

This is not news to me. :mellow:

• Like 3

1 hour ago, ouija ouija said:

Doesn't it seem more likely that it is less grey matter,

I doubt if brains are actually shrinking, but the grey matter can turn to useless squidgy stuff.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, acute said:

A study suggests a link between size of belly and size of cider can?

This is not news to me. :mellow:

I really must introduce you to my new exercise and diet program. :yes:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Piney said:

I really must introduce you to my new exercise and diet program. :yes:

Thank you Piney, that would be very helpful. :)

Please send the details to acute@shoveyourexerciseupyourbumhole.co.uk

• Haha 5

12 minutes ago, acute said:

Thank you Piney, that would be very helpful. :)

Please send the details to acute@shoveyourexerciseupyourbumhole.co.uk

But it's simple and effective. All you do is run down vegan co-eds with a 90cc chainsaw and eat them. High protein diet and exercise in the same step. :yes:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Piney said:

But it's simple and effective. All you do is run down vegan co-eds with a 90cc chainsaw and eat them. High protein diet and exercise in the same step. :yes:

I dunno, it sounds complicated.

Can't you just do some lipochainsawsuction and cut my fat off?

2 minutes ago, acute said:

Can't you just do some lipochainsawsuction and cut my fat off?

I donno, carving bars aren't roller and wear out easy. It could have cost overruns. :unsure2:

• Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 minutes ago, acute said:

It's not as complicated or as strenuous as one might think. Co-eds running from chainsaw wielding maniacs always fall down after the first 2 meters. ^_^

• Haha 1

If you can use the belly as a table sitting stright up and stand a beer on it then its time for you to go on a diet, no more family pizzas and a diet coke

• Like 2

8 hours ago, moonman said:

So fat and stupid is actually a thing.

Not one you should bet too much on. ;) 

• Thanks 1

I think the correlation may lie more in how you get to obese than actually being obese. Garbage foods, limited exercise and limited requirement for real world brain processing.

• Thanks 1

On 1/10/2019 at 11:26 PM, Farmer77 said:

I think the correlation may lie more in how you get to obese than actually being obese. Garbage foods, limited exercise and limited requirement for real world brain processing.

Brain work does burn calories.

• Like 1