Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hoard of copper axes found in Bulgaria

The Caspian Hare

http://archaeologyinbulgaria.com/2019/01/09/europes-largest-hoard-of-copper-age-axes-ax-hammers-discovered-in-northeast-bulgaria/

The prehistoric tool hoard contains a total of 22 tools, including 18 flat axes and 4 ax hammers, with a combined weight of 11.629 kilograms.

The Chalcolithic axes and ax hammers from Bulgaria’s Polkovnik Talaskovo are made of alloy with a high content of copper which was cast into molds.

The tools are dated to the Late Chalcolithic (Late Copper Age), more specifically, 4,500 – 4,200 BC.

“The discovered find is the largest [of its kind] in Europe so far. It is a testimony to the [development and sophistication] of the earliest metallurgy in human history," the Ruse Regional Museum of History says.

“The axes bear hardly any traces that they were used which leads to the supposition that they were not meant for practical purposes but were an indicator of prestige, or were [were used as] means of exchange," the Museum adds.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

More evidence of the movements and 'trade or raid" culture of the Yamnaya Culture from the Pontic Caspian Steppe. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jmccr8 said:

Not sure but 11,629 kilos divided by 22 tools gives us 528.5909 kilos each, them boys musta had some big arms or did I misread something?

jmccr8

11 point 629?

Divided by 22 = 0.5285 kilos (1.164lbs)

Edited by Eldorado

9 hours ago, Piney said:

More evidence of the movements and 'trade or raid" culture of the Yamnaya Culture from the Pontic Caspian Steppe. 

Yamnaya. I done one of those DNA tests and that’s where my people originated from. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Yamnaya. I done one of those DNA tests and that’s where my people originated from. 

I did it when Bryan Sykes was beating around Yorkshire looking for Viking descendants. I have their genes too , surprisingly on my dad's side via the Swedes that settled among us. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haplogroup_R1a

• Like 1