Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Masculinity is harmful" According to APA

Dark_Grey

Traditional Masculinity Can Hurt Boys, Say New A.P.A. Guidelines

APA Official Guidelines on Masculine Behavior (PDF)
FOX
NYTimes

The American Psychological Association has released several guides for psychologists who work with people belonging to certain groups — members of ethnic and linguistic minorities, for example, or women and girls.

It did not have a guide for working with males, in part because they were historically considered the norm. But in August, the A.P.A. approved its first set of official guidelines for working with boys and men.

The guidelines, 10 in all, posit that males who are socialized to conform to “traditional masculinity ideology” are often negatively affected in terms of mental and physical health.

They acknowledge that ideas about masculinity vary across cultures, age groups and ethnicities. But they point to common themes like “anti-femininity, achievement, eschewal of the appearance of weakness, and adventure, risk, and violence.”

“If men are struggling more the farther we move from those traditional norms, is the answer to continue denying and suppressing a boy’s essential nature?” David French, a senior writer for National Review, wrote in an article about the guidelines on Monday.

“Traditional masculinity seems to be, in this report at least, conflated with being a pig, or a creep, or a Harvey Weinstein kind of person,” said Laura Ingraham on her Fox News show on Tuesday.

Go outside and look at your street. Look at the street lights, the sewer drains, the cars in the driveways. Look at the planes flying over head, the fire hydrants strategically placed to help keep you safe. 

That's traditional masculinity at work.

• Like 8

helpless sheep of undetermined gender  are in, physically fit males are out. lol  that is new not brave liberal world,

but good news is, such males typically reproduce at much lower rates, girls always fall for "bad boys"  and pick a strong male able to provide and protect. as a mate

Edited by aztek
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

56 minutes ago, aztek said:

but good news is, such males typically reproduce at much lower rates, girls always fall for "bad boys"  and pick a strong male able to provide and protect. as a mate

In other words, "biology"

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dark_Grey said:

That's traditional masculinity at work.

So is the excessively high suicide rate in men. 

• Like 3

Just now, Setton said:

So is the excessively high suicide rate in men. 

so? and your point is?  other men's masculinity causes excessively high suicide rate in men who are not muscular?

Edited by aztek

I'm in no position to say that studies by such erudite groups as the APA are nonsense, but that is my gut reaction.  Perhaps due to their profession they've been insulated from contact with real men and over exposed to those needing psychological help.  While the traits they describe can all be exhibited by males I would hardly consider them to be the epitome of manliness.  For me the traits of true masculinity would have to include honesty, strength, loyalty, industry and adherence to a moral code.  I'm sure there are many others that could be added but those are the first that come to mind.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

Read the whole thing (it's only 20 pages.) Completely ignores biology, evolution, and everything is some kind of social construction. That document might as well have come out of a women's studies department.

The APA released that? Whoa doggie, we are in trouble.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

50 minutes ago, aztek said:

so? and your point is?  other men's masculinity causes excessively high suicide rate in men who are not muscular?

No. The expectation that men don't show any negative outward emotion (part of traditional masculinity) renders those men incapable of processing those emotions and drives some to self harm and suicide. 

I don't agree with all the OP article. It lists these aspects of traditional masculinity:

anti-femininity, achievement, eschewal of the appearance of weakness, and adventure, risk, and violence.”

I'd say some are positives, others are not

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Big Jim said:

I'm in no position to say that studies by such erudite groups as the APA are nonsense, but that is my gut reaction.  Perhaps due to their profession they've been insulated from contact with real men and over exposed to those needing psychological help.  While the traits they describe can all be exhibited by males I would hardly consider them to be the epitome of manliness.  For me the traits of true masculinity would have to include honesty, strength, loyalty, industry and adherence to a moral code.  I'm sure there are many others that could be added but those are the first that come to mind.

I'd say those are what is required to be a good man. The article is about what is traditionally seen as being a man (good or bad). 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, Setton said:

I'd say those are what is required to be a good man. The article is about what is traditionally seen as being a man (good or bad). 

I think they're looking at aberrations and excesses and construing them as traditional elements of masculinity.  "But they point to common themes like “anti-femininity, achievement, eschewal of the appearance of weakness, and adventure, risk, and violence.”  I would say that most men, even traditionally, are not against femininity but appreciate it.  Neither are most men adventurous, risk taking or violent.  Those are images from movies.  No matter what range of history the study covers, within the confines of civilization, most men have been family men and fathers, willing to let the few take risks and engage in adventure and violence.  I can't imagine a world where achievement is seen as a negative trait.  Without it there would be no progress.

• Like 8

47 minutes ago, Setton said:

No. The expectation that men don't show any negative outward emotion (part of traditional masculinity) renders those men incapable of processing those emotions and drives some to self harm and suicide. 

I don't agree with all the OP article. It lists these aspects of traditional masculinity:

anti-femininity, achievement, eschewal of the appearance of weakness, and adventure, risk, and violence.”

I'd say some are positives, others are not

would you call a white color, an anti black color?

Ever notice how liberals claim they are multicultural, and are open to all types, all gender identities, etc..?

pheeeew... *except* for..., well, you know the drill.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

I agree for the most part with the APA.

Fight me.

What's new...you are always looking for a fight. :rolleyes:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Michelle said:

What's new...you are always looking for a fight. :rolleyes:

Lol, nope. Just knew it'd be inevitable for me to dare agree with it. :lol:

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

Lol, nope. Just knew it'd be inevitable for me to dare agree with it. :lol:

Aggression.

argumentativeness.

a lack of appropriate respect for women.

tut tut tut. Toxic masculinity at it’s worst. You’ll be wearing a red hat and losing your ability to use proper grammar next.

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 2
  • Haha 6

3 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Aggression.

argumentativeness.

tut tut tut. Toxic masculinity at it’s worst. You’ll be wearing a red hat and losing your ability to use proper grammar next.

Toxic Masculinity is different then all masculinity, though I'm sure the conservatives here would be more than happy to conflate the two. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

The great divider speaks again.

4 minutes ago, Michelle said:

The great divider speaks again.

Care to add to the actual discussion? :huh: Cause so far all you're doing is throwing out petty ad hominems.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I agree for the most part with the APA.

Fight me.

You were the one looking for another fight....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

Aggression.

argumentativeness.

He's clueless...

• Thanks 1

Do you know what’s also harmful? Starting sentences with a conjunction is also harmful.

E5802AC6-0DF4-45A0-9976-B95265862DC5.jpeg.32ec7d9713fb6e8d201632216f05a7ef.jpeg

Edited by Sir Wearer of Hats
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2