Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Masculinity is harmful" According to APA

Dark_Grey

5 minutes ago, joc said:

I agree...it is unhealthy...and it may be more prevalent than I think...I don't really get out that much...I work a lot...

I can tell you from experience, becuae I also work too much, that suicide rates among males, especially young adult males, is very very high.

Its always the same story; "they didn't seem depressed" "he never said anything" " he always seemed happy" etc etc etc

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 3

3 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

You disappoint me! You're an Australian! You should've got the sarcasm straight away..

This is the kinda response I'd expect from one of my American friends;)

but you didn't-- no worriesB)

I’m also a woman who has an ex who tried to be controlling and tried to raise a fist at me. 

• Sad 2

2 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I can tell you from experience, becuae I also work too much, that suicide rates among males, especially young adult males, is very very high.

why is this do you think?

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Its always the same story; "they didn't seem depressed" "he never said anything" " he always seemed happy" etc etc etc

unfortunately...I have experienced someone young like that committing suicide...it was tragic...it was so sad...and so senseless...and I have no clue why they did it.  

• Sad 1

Just now, Dejarma said:

why is this do you think?

Because they're taught to not express or deal with their emotions, which eventually come out as violence against themselves or others.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

The they didn’t seem depressed line always annoys me, of course they don’t seem it some people are good at hiding things. 

Hell only 3 people who know me in person know when I’m not myself, because I can hide it 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

I’m also a woman who has an ex who tried to be controlling and tried to raise a fist at me. 

....tried to raise a fist at you....

What did you do.....does he still walk?

is that why you didn't get the sarcasm? you just jumped in thinking the worst?

1 minute ago, joc said:

unfortunately...I have experienced someone young like that committing suicide...it was tragic...it was so sad...and so senseless...and I have no clue why they did it.  

Because young males have it drilled into their heads from an early age to toughen up, walk it off, be strong, etc. Which in and of itself osmt terrible advice, but when paired with discouragement in showing emotion,  being told they're weak etc, is a pretty direct path to suicide when they are experiencing mental health issues. I should know.

• Like 4

Simply, "toxic masculinity"

I think that is over simplification....we live in a very stressful world...and I think the parents are stressed out and don't really have the skills to teach their children about the dangers of stress....and that is only one factor...it is a dangerous age we live in...on a lot of fronts...

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Ironic that white males are always the first to cry about white privilege not being real 

Not really. Self defence mechanism and all that.

• Like 2

Just now, joc said:

I think that is over simplification....we live in a very stressful world...and I think the parents are stressed out and don't really have the skills to teach their children about the dangers of stress....and that is only one factor...it is a dangerous age we live in...on a lot of fronts...

That's why I said "simply"

• Like 2

Because young males have it drilled into their heads from an early age to toughen up, walk it off, be strong, etc. Which in and of itself osmt terrible advice, but when paired with discouragement in showing emotion,  being told they're weak etc, is a pretty direct path to suicide when they are experiencing mental health issues. I should know.

I agree.   Sorry you know so much about all this.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joc said:

....tried to raise a fist at you....

What do you mean What did I do? 

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

is that why you didn't get the sarcasm? you just jumped in thinking the worst?

Or because you are known for trolling like answers 

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

You disappoint me! You're an Australian! You should've got the sarcasm straight away..

This is the kinda response I'd expect from one of my American friends;)

but you didn't-- no worriesB)

SOUTH Australian.

2 minutes ago, joc said:

I agree.   Sorry you know so much about all this.

It's also hardly a new concept. While the idea of toxic masculinity has only recently entered the public eye, the core idea has been extensively studied in anthropology for decades. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

SOUTH Australian.

Yeah and that means what? 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

What do you mean what do you mean what did I do?

• Haha 3

6 minutes ago, joc said:

...tried to raise a fist at you....

Maybe I'm just misunderstanding the phrase you used.  You said he 'tried' to raise a fist at you...not sure if you were saying he tried to hit you or what...I was just wondering if you retaliated in anyway.  Never been to Australia...never met an Australian woman that I can remember...I just had it in my head that Aussy Women don't take a lot of crap and are tough as nails.  

8 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Then you're lost. Not my problem.

you said this:

you said it, i did not= all i'm asking is to go into more detail= if you're far too drunk or drugged up or both then it's not me with a problem, mate-- all due respect

Edited by Dejarma

4 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

Or because you are known for trolling like answers 

what?