Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Masculinity is harmful" According to APA

Dark_Grey

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

Maybe chivalry is the better part of masculine valour?

I think the issue lay in the fact that most dont understand the difference between toxic masculinity and regular masculinity. Yp uh have this stupid paper that conflates the two and that's just stupid. There is nothing wrong with regular masculinity. It's the ideas and traits that  are often confused as masculine traits that in fact lead to individuals greatly harming themselves or others that are the issue.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, joc said:

I'm still trying to figure out how a fire hydrant has anything to do with masculinity...traditional or otherwise......

He must have been referring to its strong phallic shape...

• Haha 3

17 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

And they you asked why I thought that was. And I said "simply, toxic masculinity" which lost you. It was a direct answer

I'm not writing a ****ing thesis here

Not without opposable thumbs

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

you're not in the mood to go into detail then? = ya know, make a big meaning full statement in a public forum; a statement that actually has an extreme personal meaning for me..

oh thanks for that.. i'll leave you to it then

Oh **** already man. I've seen you pull this **** in threads all the time. I dont owe you any explanation. Besides, I've quite clearly explained the concept in other posts.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I think the issue lay in the fact that most dont understand the difference between toxic masculinity and regular masculinity.

what is the difference? give us an example?

5 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

And good for you too. Chivalry is not dead.

Maybe chivalry is the better part of masculine valour?

Chivalry can be taken wrong that’s why it’s less common. 

A man holding the door can be a I’m holding this door out of politeness, yet taken as I’m the big tough man I have to hold it for you a weak woman. 

My partner insits on opening doors, carrying things etc not because he has to be a big strong man looking at his pregnant wife to be but because it makes him happy to do so. 

He knows well I can hold my own

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Golden Duck said:

Not without opposable thumbs

All apes and old world monkeys have opposable thumbs

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Oh **** already man. I've seen you pull this **** in threads all the time. I dont owe you any explanation. Besides, I've quite clearly explained the concept in other posts.

in my opinion you have not.. so far you're looking like the kinda man this thread is about

• Confused 1

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

in my opinion you have not.. so far you're looking like the kinda man this thread is about

I could not, and please believe me when I say, could not care any less about your opinion.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

The key word everyone is focusing on is 'masculinity'....the key word everyone should be focusing on is  Psychology.  How people act and talk and interact with other people and the effects those actions have...boundaries that are crossed that shouldn't be....etc...etc...etc....

It's about the Psychology of what we do....how it affects us 'psychologically'.  Because things do effect us...everything does.  To the extent that we become overloaded and can't process anything in real terms anymore is the extent to which death becomes an escape rather than a consequence.  

Edited by joc
  • Like 7

Just now, joc said:

The key word everyone is focusing on is 'masculinity'....the key word everyone should be focusing on is  Psychology.  How people act and talk and interact with other people and the effects those actions have...boundaries that are crossed that shouldn't be....etc...etc...etc....

It's about the Psychology of what we do....how it affects us 'psychologically'.  Because things do effect us...everything does.  To the extent that we become overloaded and can't process anything in real terms anymore it the extent to which death becomes an escape rather than a consequence.  

You're not wrong. I dont necessarily agree with the descriptor "toxic masculinity". It reeks of sjw jargon and instantly turns people away from the concept

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

5 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

A man holding the door can be a I’m holding this door out of politeness, yet taken as I’m the big tough man I have to hold it for you a weak woman. 

My partner insits on opening doors, carrying things etc not because he has to be a big strong man looking at his pregnant wife to be but because it makes him happy to do so. 

Here in Texas ...it doesn't matter if you are male or female or what...if you don't hold a door open for the other person about to come in...it's just considered rude.

But then again...if I do see a woman walking up to the door...I'll just open it and wait till she goes in...but that's what I'd do for my daughter or  sister or mother...not really chivalrous I don't think.  

• Like 5

7 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

Back in the eighties I caught **** from two women holding a door open for them.

So I let it go and walked away. I thought that I was simply being polite.

• Like 6
  • Sad 1

1 minute ago, joc said:

Here in Texas ...it doesn't matter if you are male or female or what...if you don't hold a door open for the other person about to come in...it's just considered rude.

But then again...if I do see a woman walking up to the door...I'll just open it and wait till she goes in...but that's what I'd do for my daughter or  sister or mother...not really chivalrous I don't think.  

I try to hold the door for others but can’t always, I’m just under 5ft and 29 weeks pregnant so it’s not always easy to do. 

To me holding a door is just being polite, it says I see you also wish to enter/exit the place I am entering/exiting I’ll hold it so you can do so. 

• Like 4

14 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

All apes and old world monkeys have opposable thumbs

OK bigger and more flexible.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I could not, and please believe me when I say, could not care any less about your opinion.

what you said had a personal meaning for me:

I can tell you from experience, becuae I also work too much, that suicide rates among males, especially young adult males, is very very high.

my nephew, my friend hung himself 3 years ago in a childrens playground! a happy go lucky, very funny, fun-loving young man, i loved him===no one knows why! we are all still talking about it/ crying about it to this day..

i asked you a simple adult question.. it became even more meaningful when someone mentioned what you do for a living .. so why are you talking to me like this?

i don't get it/ i'm confused

• Sad 1

4 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

Back in the eighties I caught **** from two women holding a door open for them.

So I let it go and walked away. I thought that I was simply being polite.

That’s the toxic side of feminism on their be half, assuming every male does something only because he needs to be the big man. 

You were trying to be polite to your fellow humans 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

I try to hold the door for others but can’t always, I’m just under 5ft and 29 weeks pregnant so it’s not always easy to do. 

To me holding a door is just being polite, it says I see you also wish to enter/exit the place I am entering/exiting I’ll hold it so you can do so. 

I would think less people down under would hold doors open. Not becuase they're less polite.  I just think it'd be more difficult with everything upside down. 

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, joc said:

No, not chivalrous (daughter or  sister or mother). You do it for any damn person who's about to access the door..

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

Wow...so...end of February...beginning of March....:sk:su

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

my nephew, my friend hung himself 3 years ago in a childrens playground! a happy go lucky, very funny, fun-loving young man, i loved him===no one knows why! we are all still talking about it/ crying about it to this day..

i asked you a simple adult question.. it became even more meaningful when someone mentioned what you do for a living .. so why are you talking to me like this?

I explained it several times already in regards to how it can relate to the topic of this thread.

Every situation is different, though. No one can tell you why someone has taken their life except that person. 

Also, im.being a dick to you becuase you are demanding that I answer to your satisfaction. That is never going to happen.

1 minute ago, joc said:

Wow...so...end of February...beginning of March....:sk:su

End of March but I was 2 days late and partner a month late. 

Babys already got a stubborn side ultrasound wise, will not let me video kicks for family and close friends. 

5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

A similar thing happened to family friends years ago. (Looking from outside the family, the son simply didn't fit in at the school his patents insisted on sending him to.)

There were questions about the absence of any note. Only about one in six leave a note. 

1 minute ago, Ruby04 said:

End of March but I was 2 days late and partner a month late. 

Babys already got a stubborn side ultrasound wise, will not let me video kicks for family and close friends. 

Interesting...but...babies just have a way of disarming the entire masculinity thing.   I mean...I can be frustrated and mad and just want to kick some ass....and I see a baby in a stroller and I'm just like stopping, staring...all life's hardships and stresses...they just kind of fade away.  Good luck to you Ruby! :) 

• Like 4