Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Masculinity is harmful" According to APA

Dark_Grey

11 minutes ago, Likely Guy said:

No, not chivalrous (daughter or  sister or mother). You do it for any damn person who's about to access the door..

Or avoid eye contact:ph34r:

• Haha 2

3 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

A similar thing happened to family friends years ago. (Looking from outside the family, the son simply didn't fit in at the school his patents insisted on sending him to.)

There were questions about the absence of any note. Only about one in six leave a note. 

Notes are rare

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Also, im.being a dick to you becuase you are demanding that I answer to your satisfaction. That is never going to happen.

yeah great... where did i demand anything? show me

1 minute ago, joc said:

Interesting...but...babies just have a way of disarming the entire masculinity thing.   I mean...I can be frustrated and mad and just want to kick some ass....and I see a baby in a stroller and I'm just like stopping, staring...all life's hardships and stresses...they just kind of fade away.  Good luck to you Ruby! :) 

The biology science answer to that is because holding a baby temporarily lowers a males testosterone levels. Something to do with the instinct to nurture. 

Altough it is fun to freak people out when they see how powerful kicks are

Thankyou 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Dejarma said:

yeah great... where did i demand anything? show me

Show me etc come across as you demanding answers. 

• Like 2

Just now, Ruby04 said:

Show me etc come across as you demanding answers. 

ask simple logical questions imho-- when someone feels a question is <demanding> to me that means they haven't a logical rebuttal! this is fascinating

16 minutes ago, Golden Duck said:

A similar thing happened to family friends years ago. (Looking from outside the family, the son simply didn't fit in at the school his patents insisted on sending him to.)

There were questions about the absence of any note. Only about one in six leave a note. 

yep, awful isn't it, Duck

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Aquila King said:

Toxic Masculinity is different then all masculinity, though I'm sure the conservatives here would be more than happy to conflate the two. :rolleyes:

Toxic posters is different from all posters, too. How's that.

8 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

It's quite easy to be masculine without being misogynous, or overly defensive.

Not according to the left!  "masculine" = "evil"

• Like 1

5 hours ago, joc said:

I'm still trying to figure out how a fire hydrant has anything to do with masculinity...traditional or otherwise......

Phallic symbolism ? Women apparently aren't smart enough to understand water reticulation, and here I was thinking what intensely practical little creatures they are.

7 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

But the question was whether or not teaching "traditional masculinity" to young boys was harmful.

Though I agree that there are not only two sides to a coin.

Not being afraid to cry when it means something.

Ever see a man break into tears when he accidently breaks one of his beautifully manicured nails?  me neither

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, aztek said:

would you call a white color, an anti black color?

You're still missing the point. 

The anti-femininity part is referring to men not displaying traits traditionally seen as feminine e.g. A caring, nurturing attitude. 

5 hours ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Because young males have it drilled into their heads from an early age to toughen up, walk it off, be strong, etc. Which in and of itself osmt terrible advice, but when paired with discouragement in showing emotion,  being told they're weak etc, is a pretty direct path to suicide when they are experiencing mental health issues. I should know.

Meanwhile, half the men in prison had no father figure.

uh huh. Keep slinging the leftist bull.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

What on earth does that have to do with what you quoted?

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

What on earth does that have to do with what you quoted?

He says that boys are trained to be tough at an early age etc etc... trained by WHO????

it's a bunch of crapola, as Archie would say. "trained" - leftists trying to make it look like biology and testosterone have *nothing* at all to do with it. Just evil men training their sons to be, well - evil men. That's the leftist theology. Always present men as an evil entity that perpetuates itself.

5 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

He says that boys are trained to be tough at an early age etc etc... trained by WHO????

it's a bunch of crapola, as Archie would say. "trained" - leftists trying to make it look like biology and testosterone have *nothing* at all to do with it. Just evil men training their sons to be, well - evil men. That's the leftist theology. Always present men as an evil entity that perpetuates itself.

An argument could be made that the media doesn’t often present non-violent role models for boys (or these days, for girls) outside of certain narrow confines. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

Society. Out of curiosity how old are you? Based on our interactions id place you at about 26.....anyways im an idiot and could be wayyy off

I ask because as a kid in the 80's, particularly one without a father, the surrounding culture had a massive impact on my life and the surrounding culture encouraged the classic stereotypical male behavior(cold, rude, violent etc)  which we now know is quite damaging to the one displaying that behavior.

Todays world has definitely started to evolve away from those kinds of popular role models but they are definitely still around.

10 minutes ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

t's a bunch of crapola, as Archie would say. "trained" - leftists trying to make it look like biology and testosterone have *nothing* at all to do with it. Just evil men training their sons to be, well - evil men. That's the leftist theology. Always present men as an evil entity that perpetuates itself.

Im fortunate to have lived both ends of this conversation. Youre absolutely right biology and testosterone do play a part. Our brains and our willpower have to play a much larger one however. 

Testosterone and biology make me want to physically harm people who frustrate me my brain however understands and overcomes the biological impulse to physically harm the source of my concerns.

Thats really what this conversation is about.

11 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Society.

Sorry, society does NOT train boys to be evil men, it's the exact OPPOSITE,. Society is all over keeping the male in check far more than the female.  Teachers in school discipline boys more than girls (they should), and parents - particularly fathers, have to keep their sons in check more than daughters. "Police matters" are vast majority male cases. Boys that don't have a father to keep them in check quite often end up in prison. Now the guards keep them in check. This "training" boys by men and society to be "toxic" is a liberal myth. They just like to slur men, that's all. That's all it's ever been with the femenists

Out of curiosity how old are you? Based on our interactions id place you at about 26.....anyways im an idiot and could be wayyy off

way off :--)

I ask because as a kid in the 80's, particularly one without a father, the surrounding culture had a massive impact on my life and the surrounding culture encouraged the classic stereotypical male behavior(cold, rude, violent etc)  which we now know is quite damaging to the one displaying that behavior.

Todays world has definitely started to evolve away from those kinds of popular role models but they are definitely still around.

Im fortunate to have lived both ends of this conversation. Youre absolutely right biology and testosterone do play a part. Our brains and our willpower have to play a much larger one however. 

Testosterone and biology make me want to physically harm people who frustrate me my brain however understands and overcomes the biological impulse to physically harm the source of my concerns.

Thats really what this conversation is about.

Concurred.

• Like 1

Sorry, society does NOT train boys to be evil men, it's the exact OPPOSITE,. Society is all over keeping the male in check far more than the female. 

Male behavior isnt inherently evil it simply is what it is (this is just me talking IDK the official lefty talking points) and what it is is powerful in a manner which can be counterproductive in a technological society. While the angry femnazis definitely run wild with this crap and take it entirely too far we shouldnt be afraid to discuss the issue. 

As for whether society keeps men or women more in check im not gonna argue that because the means of keeping each sex "in check" are vastly different and so deeply ingrained in our societal sub conscience that we simply cannot cover it in these BS sessions.

way off :--)

Damn my first guess was gonna be 19 but I didnt want to appear to be trying to insult,  so i must be WAY off

Edited by Farmer77
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

While the angry femnazis definitely run wild with this crap and take it entirely too far we shouldnt be afraid to discuss the issue. 

You just quoted Rush Limbaugh.....

:lol:

• Like 1

Just now, joc said:

You just quoted Rush Limbaugh.....

:lol:

I grew up on Rush and no lie almost named my youngest son after him

14 hours ago, Dark_Grey said:

Traditional Masculinity Can Hurt Boys, Say New A.P.A. Guidelines

APA Official Guidelines on Masculine Behavior (PDF)
FOX
NYTimes

Go outside and look at your street. Look at the street lights, the sewer drains, the cars in the driveways. Look at the planes flying over head, the fire hydrants strategically placed to help keep you safe. 

That's traditional masculinity at work.

Given the freedom to do so then Liberals would depreciate every aspect of society.

While a normal level of freedom is okay they are unable to practice restraint. Its like they dont come with an off switch. When they have a problem with men being men its gone to far.

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

uh huh. Keep slinging the leftist bull.

If you took the time to read, you'd see i was speaking in reference to suicide rates among young males. And as such was referring to one specific concept which DOES NOT APPLY TO ALL PEOPLE.This is well know and well studied for decades. 

Sad that facts these days are "leftist bull"

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Farmer77 said:

Society. Out of curiosity how old are you? Based on our interactions id place you at about 26.....anyways im an idiot and could be wayyy off

He's a boomer, at least. No other generation is capable of being so willfully ignorant about so many different things.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Male behavior isnt inherently evil it simply is what it is (this is just me talking IDK the official lefty talking points) and what it is is powerful in a manner which can be counterproductive in a technological society. While the angry femnazis definitely run wild with this crap and take it entirely too far we shouldnt be afraid to discuss the issue. 

As for whether society keeps men or women more in check im not gonna argue that because the means of keeping each sex "in check" are vastly different and so deeply ingrained in our societal sub conscience that we simply cannot cover it in these BS sessions.

Damn my first guess was gonna be 19 but I didnt want to appear to be trying to insult,  so i must be WAY off

And you can't receive messages, why?  strange. Are they punishing you Farmer?? LOL

• Haha 2