Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Masculinity is harmful" According to APA

Dark_Grey

20 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

What contradiction? Sometimes you can't escape an aggressor, and you must be prepared to win the fight.

It's just: Choose A if possible. If not possible, choose B. No contradiction.

Im all for defensive violence for the sake of protection. But 'striking first' is not defensive, it's offensive

You can't say "avoid fights as much as possible" and "strike first if inevitable" without someone pointing out the obvious contradiction.

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

Im all for defensive violence for the sake of protection. But 'striking first' is not defensive, it's offensive

You can't say "avoid fights as much as possible" and "strike first if inevitable" without someone pointing out the obvious contradiction.

I disagree.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

I disagree.

I suppose that's the easiest way of justifying a belief in contradictory bulls**t despite having it debunked.

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

I suppose that's the easiest way of justifying a belief in contradictory bulls**t despite having it debunked.

You don't aggressively corner someone without ill intent. So debunked my @ss!

• Like 4

Just now, sci-nerd said:

he preaches "masculinity hurts boys" crap, do you think he'll understand that? he is perpetual self made victim

Edited by aztek
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

What contradiction? Sometimes you can't escape an aggressor, and you must be prepared to win the fight.

It's just: Choose A if possible. If not possible, choose B. No contradiction.

Why I had my boys in martial arts. You aren't doing your kids any favors if you don't prepare them to meet the real world, not the ideological world some wish it to be. And of course one of the main tenants is self control.

What I see as a big problem is this sudden movement to squash the natural tendencies of males instead of moderating them into productive areas. IMO much of the self esteem issues and possible suicide rates are due to telling them all their natural inclinations are wrong and just by the happenstance of being born male they are evil.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Whoever throws the first punch is the aggressor. Plain and simple.

10 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I teach womens self defense and totally agree with you...for women it might be our only chance for an escape.

• Like 4

Just now, skliss said:

I teach womens self defense and totally agree with you...for women it might be our only chance for an escape.

that and a revolver

Just now, Aquila King said:

Whoever throws the first punch is the aggressor. Plain and simple.

So you would have your @ss handed to you, just to avoid being seen as the aggressor by someone ignorant of the situation?

Well, have fun getting it kicked then...

• Like 1

Just now, aztek said:

that and a revolver

Guns scare me...and as an accident prone person probably best for everyone if I don't have one...lol I do carry a kubaton every where and I have pepper spray. I'm not vain or delusional enough to think, even with my training and skill set, I can hold off a grown man indefinitely. I can however hurt him long enough to get away.

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

So you would have your @ss handed to you, just to avoid being seen as the aggressor by someone ignorant of the situation?

Well, have fun getting it kicked then...

I said I have no problem with finishing someone in self-defense, but self-defense never throws the first punch.

How is this hard to understand?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, skliss said:

Guns scare me...and as an accident prone person probably best for everyone if I don't have one...lol I do carry a kubaton every where and I have pepper spray. I'm not vain or delusional enough to think, even with my training and skill set, I can hold off a grown man indefinitely. I can however hurt him long enough to get away.

i wont argue that, you.re most likely correct

• Haha 1

I said I have no problem with finishing someone in self-defense, but self-defense never throws the first punch.

How is this hard to understand?

If you are not trained in self-defense, the first punch gives you the advantage. Why on earth would you give your opponent that advantage?

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

If you are not trained in self-defense, the first punch gives you the advantage. Why on earth would you give your opponent that advantage?

I didnt say it had to land, just has to be thrown.

I didnt say it had to land, just has to be thrown.

Ya well, that's gambling with your own safety. Not recommended, unless you're trained in self-defense.

Just now, sci-nerd said:

Ya well, that's gambling with your own safety. Not recommended, unless you're trained in self-defense.

Look, I'm not just talking about personal fights. This is true whether dealing with guns, wars, crimes, etc.

If you're a cop on the street and someone points a gun at you then you have the right to shoot to kill. But if they simply have a gun and show no sign of aggression, then you don't have the right to preemptively shoot them out of fear or whatever else.

If one nation launches a military strike against us, then we have the right to go to war with that nation. But if another nation simply appears intimidating to us, we don't have the right to declare war with them.

If you commit a crime, then you go to prison. Yet we don't put people in prison simply because they potentially could commit a crime. As sucky as it may be at times, we can only charge people with crimes once the deed is done.

In all these cases, the aggressor is the one who initiates violence, plain and simple. You shouldn't just attack someone simply because they seem intimidating or because they could potentially attack you.

5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

In all these cases, the aggressor is the one who initiates violence, plain and simple. You shouldn't just attack someone simply because they seem intimidating or because they could potentially attack you.

I disagree!

I haven't been in many fights, except two (separate ones) when I was around 17. Both times I left the building when I felt threatened, but they pursued me. They both ended up on the ground (one of them bleeding), and I left in a hurry. None of them took a swing, because I was faster. I didn't want the fights, but didn't want to get hurt either.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 2

Just now, sci-nerd said:

I disagree!

I haven't been in many fights, except two (separate ones) when I was around 17. Both times I left the building when I felt threatened, but they pursued me. They both ended up on the ground (one of them bleeding), and I left in a hurry. None of them took a swing, because I was faster. I didn't want the fights, but didn't want to get hurt either.

as someone who grew up at Coney Island, next to projects, and fights were pretty regular thing when I was growing up,  i could not agree with you more.  trained person will knock his opponent out in one punch, in a street fight,  often with broken jaw. 

Edited by aztek
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I disagree!

Their act of pursuing you to attack was their act of aggression. It essentially was their proverbial swing. If they were engaging in an act with the clear intent to cause you physical harm, no matter what that may be, then they were the aggressors in that situation, not you.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Their act of pursuing you to attack was their act of aggression. It essentially was their proverbial swing. If they were engaging in an act with the clear intent to cause you physical harm, no matter what that may be, then they were the aggressors in that situation, not you.

Glad you can see that.

A funny thing happened a few months later. The guy I was in a fight with (the one who didn't bleed) ended up at the same workplace as me. Turned out he was actually quite nice without drugs in his brain. We ended up laughing about it.

Edited by sci-nerd
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, aztek said:

do you consider white color to be anti black color, just answer that,before we talk any father

No. 

Now can we get back to the point? 

• Like 1

Just now, aztek said:

what is your point?

That the traditional expectation that men hide emotions is a direct contributing factor to the level of male suicide and we should therefore move away from this traditional expectation. 

You obviously didn't understand it before. Your thoughts now?