Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"Masculinity is harmful" According to APA

Dark_Grey

31 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Thearpy is for the week. 

Drugs and alchohol make me strong and protect me from stds

• Haha 3

20 minutes ago, kartikg said:

OK seems like you guys took it seriously, I was replying to imaginary number, it's in continuation of his post. 

Apeman is always sarcastic and always not subtle.

While he should come with a warning, that's what I love* about him.

*In the most masculine sense.

• Like 4

Testosterone + alcohol + no brains = no end of trouble.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I think the solution to most forms of bigotry is simply exposure. If more people were exposed to the people they look down on, then maybe they wouldn't feel so negatively about them.

Hmmm won't any of you guys find any human behavior odd? Is everything normal or had to be liked by everyone? 

4 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I think the solution to most forms of bigotry is simply exposure. If more people were exposed to the people they look down on, then maybe they wouldn't feel so negatively about them.

That's a major part of the answer of course.

But the better part would be if people were taught not to look down on other people to begin with. Parent's are responsible for most of that.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Aquila King said:

At the end of the day, none of it matters. Shouldn't matter whether a dude is super girly or a girl is super manly. Or anything else in-between. Just let people be people. Who the F cares?...

I think the whole idea of Toxic Masculinity is ridiculous...it is every single bit as ridiculous as the whole idea of White Privilege.  

Just let people be people!  I mean really...what difference should it make whether you are gay or straight, or black or white, or rich or poor, or stupid or brilliant?  People are the same across all the boundaries...humans ...being ...human.   There are some good humans and there are some humans that are evil, wicked, mean and nasty.  Just don't threaten me or mine and we're good....otherwise...what difference does it make.  It's called Freedom.

I give you an A+ on that one AK.  Those you need to watch out for are those who want to have a say in what others do, think, say or believe..  The word for that is.... Control Freak.  Live and by god, let live!

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Add a touch of violent streak to it. 

Yet when I could drink never once was I violent, nor are any of the people I know. 

4 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Hmmm won't any of you guys find any human behavior odd? Is everything normal or had to be liked by everyone? 

Ofcourse there are some behaviours that are odd, however someone not looking how gender norms dictate are not an odd behaviour 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, kartikg said:

Add a touch of violent streak to it. 

Ehh.. im.not really violent. I just like to **** and to get ****ed up.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, kartikg said:

What may seem odd to you is perfectly normal to them. So long as they aren't hurting anyone then who am I to judge.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, kartikg said:

It doesn't have to be liked by anyone.

As long as it doesn't harm anyone else I don't find it in my purview to comment, negatively or positively.

They are what they are and I have no problem accepting that.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

If I were at a party & met one of these A.P.A officials (not knowing who he/she is)= I'd bet after a 5min chat I'd be thinking: 'what a Fing idiot'

You're not thinking like a man.

7 minutes ago, joc said:

I think the whole idea of Toxic Masculinity is ridiculous...it is every single bit as ridiculous as the whole idea of White Privilege.  

Just let people be people!  I mean really...what difference should it make whether you are gay or straight, or black or white, or rich or poor, or stupid or brilliant?  People are the same across all the boundaries...humans ...being ...human.   There are some good humans and there are some humans that are evil, wicked, mean and nasty.  Just don't threaten me or mine and we're good....otherwise...what difference does it make.  It's called Freedom.

I give you an A+ on that one AK.  Those you need to watch out for are those who want to have a say in what others do, think, say or believe..  The word for that is.... Control Freak.  Live and by god, let live!

While i agree with much of what you say here, i do think toxic masculinity is a real thing. It isn't ALL masculinity, just a certain 'brand' of it.

It's the kind of masculinity that says men should never she'd a tear, or express any emotion, or that any form of empathy and compassion is a sign of weakness, etc. It's psychologically damaging to men. So yeah, it's definitely a real thing.

(White privilege is real too, but that isn't the topic of this thread, so...)

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

While i agree with much of what you say here, i do think toxic masculinity is a real thing. It isn't ALL masculinity, just a certain 'brand' of it.

It's the kind of masculinity that says men should never she'd a tear, or express any emotion, or that any form of empathy and compassion is a sign of weakness, etc. It's psychologically damaging to men. So yeah, it's definitely a real thing.

yeah but is that a big deal...really?  No one I know is like that...and I know a lot of people...

....but then again...

I think constantly saying your sorry is a sign of weakness...and...Black Belts don't cry!  I don't see anything Toxic about that.  I think teaching boys to be tough is natural...now...if the boy doesn't want to be tough...forcing them to be tough is a baaaaad thing to do.  I guess that's what you are talking about with Toxic.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Ironic that white males are always the first to cry about white privilege not being real 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Ironic that white males are always the first to cry about white privilege not being real 

Don't make me whip kick you in the face!

4 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I’ve first hand seen white privilege and racial profiling. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, joc said:

yeah but is that a big deal...really?  No one I know is like that...and I know a lot of people...

....but then again...

I think constantly saying your sorry is a sign of weakness...and...Black Belts don't cry!  I don't see anything Toxic about that.  I think teaching boys to be tough is natural...now...if the boy doesn't want to be tough...forcing them to be tough is a baaaaad thing to do.  I guess that's what you are talking about with Toxic.

It isn't psychologically healthy to expect men (and especially young boys) to never show emotion and always be tough.

I'm not saying everyone needs to be singing coombaya while talking bout their feelings all day. Just that this extremist form of 'manliness' is itself unhealthy, since no one is like that in real life. Yet unfortunately that mentality is more prevalent then you'd think.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Dejarma said:

yep- a real man

How is being violent being a real man. 

To me a real man is NOT quick to violence, but that could be because I’m around wonderful respectful males. 

1 minute ago, Likely Guy said:

Walk like man.

And I do love that it was sung in falsetto.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coag0rvCgLM

LG you’re awesome 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

What's more ironic is being a white male having to explain that concept to other white males... :blink:

Anyway, back on topic.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

I'm not saying everyone needs to be singing coombaya while talking bout their feelings all day. Just that this extremist form of 'manliness' is itself unhealthy, since no one is like that in real life. Yet unfortunately that mentality is more prevalent then you'd think.

I agree...it is unhealthy...and it may be more prevalent than I think...I don't really get out that much...I work a lot...

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Ruby04 said:

How is being violent being a real man. 

To me a real man is NOT quick to violence, but that could be because I’m around wonderful respectful males. 

You disappoint me! You're an Australian! You should've got the sarcasm straight away..

This is the kinda response I'd expect from one of my American friends;)

but you didn't-- no worriesB)