Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hunting methods of prehistoric dogs uncovered

Still Waters

Scientists have found new information on how prehistoric dogs hunted 40 million years ago - by analysing the skulls of lions, wolves and hyenas.

Experts in Scotland and Austria found that the first species of dog, known as Hesperocyon gregarius, pounced on its prey in the same way that species such as foxes and coyotes do today.

They also discovered that the largest dog species hunted in a similar way.

The Epicyon haydeni could grow to the size of a grizzly bear.

It lived from 16 million to seven million years ago.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edinburgh-east-fife-46836776

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

Canine evolution is fascinating and bear dogs are awesome. There were some terrifying ones in North America.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

I don't think much has changed in the instinctive behaviour in dogs, especially when it comes to hunting. I watched a good movie  a few weeks ago called Alpha, based on the friendship of a young boy and a wolf, in the prehistoric past, about the friendship and partnership that changed humanity. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Piney said:

Canine evolution is fascinating and bear dogs are awesome. There were some terrifying ones in North America.

Hi Piney. Aren’t bears also part of the dog family?

13 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Hi Piney. Aren’t bears also part of the dog family?

Bears and dogs are both members of the order Carnivora, but they belong to separate families - Ursidae and Canidae respectively. Bear dogs also have their own family, the Amphicyonidae.

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 3

9 hours ago, Piney said:

Please specify. I'm only familiar with the modern breed the Karelian Bear Dog. You mean like a Dire Wolf or something?

22 minutes ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

Man I got some studying to do. The Barylambda, The Amphicyon giganteus. I never knew! Learning is fun!

One of my favorite killer beasties is the  Andrewsarchus. Which looked like a boar mated with a hyena and is related to hippos and whales.

https://www.thoughtco.com/andrewsarchus-the-worlds-largest-predatory-mammal-1093356

Edited by Piney
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, Piney said:

One of my favorite killer beastie is the  Andrewsarchus. Which looked like a boar mated with a hyena and is related to hippos and whales.

https://www.thoughtco.com/andrewsarchus-the-worlds-largest-predatory-mammal-1093356

Not much of a killer but I'd love to see the Camelops roam North America once again.

1 minute ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

Not much of a killer but I'd love to see the Camelops roam North America once again.

When I was a Tribal Cultural Resource Officer ( a archaeologist's onboard "medicine man") for the Cumberland Country Prehistory Museum, and the Smithsonian's Museum of New York I would get to go out on digs with archaeologists, paleontologists and geologists and get to see and handle all kinds of cool stuff. 

@Carnoferox    HADROSAURS EVERYWHERE!!.......the things must of been like Canadian geese or pigeons.....

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Piney said:

When I was a Tribal Cultural Resource Officer ( a archaeologist's onboard "medicine man") for the Cumberland Country Prehistory Museum, and the Smithsonian's Museum of New York I would get to go out on digs with archaeologists, paleontologists and geologists and get to see and handle all kinds of cool stuff. 

@Carnoferox    HADROSAURS EVERYWHERE!!.......the things must of been like Canadian geese or pigeons.....

Yeah, imagine a 10,000+ strong herd of 50 foot long, 10 ton geese!

Edited by Carnoferox
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Piney said:

Paleontology would be so much fun but at the same time I think it would make me sad to see nothing but the remains of once thriving & majestic creatures that are now lost...Until we Jurassic Park that ****.

1 minute ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

Paleontology would be so much fun but at the same time I think it would make me sad to see nothing but the remains of once thriving & majestic creatures that are now lost...Until we Jurassic Park that ****.

I think that wouldn't be too success. Creighton ripped off a old article in Omni and never took into account zoonotic diseases. It might be a disaster on both sides. 

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

I think that wouldn't be too success. Creighton ripped off a old article in Omni and never took into account zoonotic diseases. It might be a disaster on both sides. 

That's a good point. Could a clone actually carry some per-historic disease?

5 minutes ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

That's a good point. Could a clone actually carry some per-historic disease?

No, they form from close interaction. That's how 1/3 of my people were wiped out. We never had close proximity domesticated animals so we never had resistance to the diseases created from living with them.

Edited by Piney

19 hours ago, Piney said:

What something like a Jack Russell the size of a bear, now that would be terrifying :)

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

What something like a Jack Russell the size of a bear, now that would be terrifying :)

Meh, Jack Russell Terrorists. We had one that ate holes into the walls and liked to be swung around while it held on to the end of a rein. 

• Like 1

On 1/12/2019 at 6:11 AM, Piney said:

On the topic of prehistoric canines what's you take on this vid?

A lot of people are saying it's too big to be a Timber Wolf but I've seen some pretty big wolves before. IDK. What do you think it is big Timber Wolf or living Dire Wolf?

The Thylacine probably isn't the best example since they only supposedly went extinct less than 100 years ago but their still spotted from time to time. Maybe there is a small population of ancient wolves running around.

1 hour ago, Ares_Zeusson said:

On the topic of prehistoric canines what's you take on this vid?

There's a whole thread on this from not too long ago.