Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Virginia study finds increase in school bullying

Aquila King

After the 2016 presidential election, teachers across the country reported they were seeing increased name-calling and bullying in their classrooms. Now, research shows that those stories — at least in one state — are confirmed by student surveys.

Francis Huang of the University of Missouri and Dewey Cornell of the University of Virginia used data from a school climate survey taken by over 150,000 students across Virginia. They looked at student responses to questions about bullying and teasing from 2015 and 2017. Their findings were published Wednesday in Educational Researcher, a peer-reviewed journal of the American Educational Research Association.

In the 2017 responses, Huang and Cornell found higher rates of bullying and certain types of teasing in areas where voters favored Donald Trump over Hillary Clinton in the 2016 election.

Seventh- and eighth-graders in areas that favored Trump reported bullying rates in spring 2017 that were 18 percent higher than students living in areas that went for Clinton. They were also 9 percent more likely to report that kids at their schools were teased because of their race or ethnicity.

https://www.npr.org/2019/01/09/683177489/virginia-study-finds-increased-school-bullying-in-areas-that-voted-for-trump

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Farmer77

• Michelle

• Aquila King

• spartan max2

The national standard has found no change, this study is only for state of Virginia, public schools. The authors claim that maybe that's because rates have risen in some areas and fallen in other areas keeping it even, but that kind of seems like a stretch? 

"Although the national YRBS results indicated no change in high school bullying prevalence between years 2017 and 2015 (Kann et al., 2018), those results do not necessarily contradict our findings. If prevalence rates increased in some localities but decreased in others, there might be no overall change."

The study was long so I am not going to act like an expert on it, there was a lot of statistical models they tried to use to control for factors like " the number of white students in the school, amount of student on free lunches, etc".

So idk if this is true or not, on one hand kids can be pretty mean and will say whatever they think it get under your skin, so the insult "build the wall!, build the wall!" or "grab her in the ***", could of been used more because they are adolescence.

The fact the national measure found no difference seems more telling to me though. 

• Like 2

Since some of you may apparently be unaware of the general effects of bullying:

Long-term risks of bullying for the victim

With immediate and proper mental health treatment and support systems in place, victims can stave off some of the potential long-term consequences of bullying. Without intervention, however, kids are at risk for the following:
• Chronic depression
• Increased risk of suicidal thoughts, suicide plans, and suicide attempts
• Anxiety disorders
• Post-traumatic stress disorder
• Poor general health
• Self-destructive behavior, including self-harm
• Substance abuse
• Difficulty establishing trusting, reciprocal friendships and relationships

https://www.psycom.net/effects-of-bullying

Bullying Statistics

160,000 kids per day skips school for fear of being bullied.1

When bystanders intervene, bullying stops within 10 seconds 57% of the time.2

The 3 B’s of Bullying

1. Bullier  30% of youth admit to bullying
  2. Bullied  1 in 3 students bullied at school
  3. Bystander  70% have witnessed bullying

BEEN BULLIED
28% of U.S. students in grades 6–12 experienced bullying.3
20% of U.S. students in grades 9–12 experienced bullying.4

BULLIED OTHERS
Approximately 30% of young people admit to bullying others in surveys.5

WITNESSED BULLYING
70.6% of young people say they have seen bullying in their schools.6
70.4% of school staff have seen bullying. 62% witnessed bullying two or more times in the last month and 41% witness bullying once a week or more.7
When bystanders intervene, bullying stops within 10 seconds 57% of the time.2

BEEN CYBERBULLIED
6% of students in grades 6–12 experienced cyberbullying.8
16% of high school students (grades 9–12) were electronically bullied in the past year.9
However, 55.2% of LGBT students experienced cyberbullying.10

https://americanspcc.org/our-voice/bullying/statistics-and-information/

Regardless of definition or empirical construct, bullying by peers during childhood and adolescence affects a significant minority of individuals. Not only is bullying an adverse experience, but there appears to be a variety of potential short- and long-term psychological as well as somatic sequelae. Psychological sequelae may include social difficulties, internalizing symptoms, anxiety and depression, suicidal ideation, and eating disorders. Somatic sequelae may entail a host of various types of psychosomatic symptoms. Being alert to these associations in both mental health and primary care settings may expedite the identification of bully victims and the subsequent eradication of these abusive experiences.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2695751/

Sad that I even have to prove how damaging the effects of bullying can be, but anyway...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I know bullying is harmful. 

I'm sure tension has risen after Trumps election, and not because of Trump.

The day after Trump was elected one of my university professors literally cried in front of the class. I have no doubt that all across the country educators have done similar things.

I am completely against it because it shuts down discussion, debate, arguments. It is basically a censorship tactic for educators to be super emotional and horrified that Trump was elected. 

So I have a lot of trouble with not seeing this study done in a bias way, conscious or subconsciously. The national measurement has seen no change, there are way to many controls in this study for things like "the number of white people" if you are measuring a school idk how you would need to control for that if that's the demographics of the school lol

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• The title was changed to Virginia study finds increase in school bullying
6 minutes ago, spartan max2 said:

oI know bullying is harmful. 

I'm sure tension has risen after Trumps election, and not because of Trump.

The day after Trump was elected one of my university professors literally cried in front of the class. I have no doubt that all across the country educators have done similar things.

I am completely against it because it shuts down discussion, debate, arguments. It is basically a censorship tactic for educators to be super emotional and horrified that Trump was elected. 

So I have a lot of trouble with not seeing this study done in a bias way, conscious or subconsciously. The national measurement has seen no change, there are way to many controls in this study for things like "the number of white people" if you are measuring a school idk how you would need to control for that if that's the demographics of the school lol

I will at least give a thank you for disagreeing in a respectful and empathetic manor.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Well, when the kids see liberals bullying kids wearing a MAGA hat or shirt and the MSM showing it like it is kewl, what do you think is going to happen?

the libs and the MSM might well be saying to the kids, "be bully like me".

• Like 1

Kino Jimenez Arrested After Teen in MAGA Hat Assaulted at Whataburger

https://www.newsweek.com/kino-jimenez-arrested-after-teen-wearing-maga-hat-assaulted-whataburger-1010802

Man Arrested After Texas Teen Says He Was Attacked for Wearing 'MAGA' Hat

Trump supporter assaulted while wearing MAGA hat

Arizona man says he was assaulted while wearing MAGA hat

I was attacked with a glass bottle because of my MAGA hat

'Get the **** Out of This City': Seattle Teen Attacked Over MAGA Hat (VIDEO)

Gay Trump Supporter Assaulted For Wearing #MAGA Hat

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Aquila King said:

After the 2016 presidential election, teachers across the country reported they were seeing increased name-calling and bullying in their classrooms. Now, research shows that those stories — at least in one state — are confirmed by student surveys.

This shouldnt be a surprise to anyone living in deep red "trump country".  At least in the part im at. Literally the day he was elected people started acting like they had a license to be an ******* in public because thats "real talk  just like POTUS uses" , and im talking about grown ass adults, I cant imagine how confusing it is for hormone riddled teenagers.

• Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

This shouldnt be a surprise to anyone living in deep red "trump country".  At least in the part im at. Literally the day he was elected people started acting like they had a license to be an ******* in public because thats "real talk  just like POTUS uses" , and im talking about grown ass adults, I cant imagine how confusing it is for hormone riddled teenagers.

Yeah...my neighbor was carjacked by a black guy the day after Obama was elected...and she voted for Obama. He laughed as he got away say "Obama is president now!"

Race riots, against the police, became rampant while he was in office too.

Antifa gained a foothold off his legacy.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Yeah...my neighbor was carjacked by a black guy the day after Obama was elected...and she voted for Obama. He laughed as he got away say "Obama is president now!"

Race riots, against the police, became rampant while he was in office too.

IDK why people feel the need to argue or defend against the observation.It simply is what it is.  Sorry reality is so offensive for ya, perhaps a safe space is needed? :D

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Farmer77 said:

IDK why people feel the need to argue or defend against the observation.It simply is what it is.  Sorry reality is so offensive for ya, perhaps a safe space is needed? :D

You were one to correlate the violence to Trump. I was simply offering another piece of anecdotal evidence to the pile.

• Like 1

Ok that was a total troll post, it was fun to type out but I couldnt really leave it up there. Sorry for wasting space

Edited by Farmer77
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

I know youre a Trump fan and all so this concept is foreign to you

I stopped reading right there. If you don't know my opinion by now, I'm not reading yours any longer.

When you quit cramming your opinion down my throat, like a religious zealot, we may be able to have a meaningful conversation.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Michelle said:

I stopped reading right there. If you don't know my opinion by now, I'm not reading yours any longer.

Haha yeah that post was totally being a dick. I actually erased it before you replied.

Honestly my evaluation of your opinion is that it is based in fear of white christian displacement which leaves you supporting Trump at every turn, whether you really want to be or not. You say youre not a trump supporter and yet you cant help but defend him.

When you quit cramming your opinion down my throat, like a religious zealot, we may be able to have a meaningful conversation.

Two points here. You are the one who started with me in this thread with your obama post and ya know what when it comes to this country I AM a religious zealot. Sorry that it comes out in our interactions but lies like "racists took over the Charlottesville rally" arent opinion, they are lies. If we dont overcome this "post factual age" our nation is done.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Honestly my evaluation of your opinion is that it is based in fear of white christian displacement which leaves you supporting Trump at every turn,

I stopped reading here too. You don't even know I'm an Atheist?

Geeze, now I see how what you attribute to me is so totally absurd. You don't connect or give any real thought into what other people say. You're too busy planning your rebuttal to listen to what anyone says.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

lies like "racists took over the Charlottesville rally" arent opinion, they are lies. If we dont overcome this "post factual age" our nation is done.

The only question is HOW???... :hmm:

Seriously, I've been asking that question for years and I still got nothin'...

• Like 1

I stopped reading here too. You don't even know I'm an Atheist?

No aside from And Then IDK what anyone's religious beliefs are if im honest. Regardless does that change that youre a traditionalist? If you dont think you are I would ask you to reexamine your posts.

Geeze, now I see how what you attribute to me is so totally absurd. You don't connect or give any real thought into what other people say. You're too busy planning your rebuttal to listen to what anyone has to say.

I do put thought into the things you say. The problem is the things you say about yourself generally contradict the positions you take.

Like your "im not a trump supporter" position. Well you say that but cant help but defend him at every turn, even when the facts are available in black and white.

Edited by Farmer77
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Aquila King said:

The only question is HOW???... :hmm:

Seriously, I've been asking that question for years and I still got nothin'...

IDK for a while I thought that it would take a massive traumatic event but the more I think about it I'm putting my hope in public hearings. They were the difference maker with Nixon, he had something like 60% approval even as the hearings started but by the end was in the low 20's.

My hope is that perhaps hearing the facts about POTUS without the filter of the media will make the faithful reexamine some of the other baseless positions theyve held and help our society in general recognize the importance of agreed upon facts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Like your "im not a trump supporter" position. Well you say that but cant help but defend him at every turn, even when the facts are available in black and white.

If you looked at it honestly, you would see I will defend anyone who is being falsely accused. I would do the same with the homeless person down on the corner.

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

If you looked at it honestly, you would see I will defend anyone who is being falsely accused. I would do the same with the homeless person down on the corner.

So youre convinced that any negative thing about Trump is a false accusation, yet dont support him......do you see why that may be confusing to the rest of the class?

Edited by Farmer77
  • Thanks 1

IDK for a while I thought that it would take a massive traumatic event but the more I think about it I'm putting my hope in public hearings. They were the difference maker with Nixon, he had something like 60% approval even as the hearings started but by the end was in the low 20's.

My hope is that perhaps hearing the facts about POTUS without the filter of the media will make the faithful reexamine some of the other baseless positions theyve held and help our society in general recognize the importance of agreed upon facts.

Yeah, but you're still attempting to rely on facts to dissuade people, just presented by way of public hearing. :hmm:

That's the problem. How do you convince someone that something is fact when they don't even care what's fact or fiction?

Forgive me. It's late. 3am. I'm tired. This topic makes me cynical. I need some tequila and beddy time so night night... :sleepy:

• Like 1

Just now, Aquila King said:

Yeah, but you're still attempting to rely on facts to dissuade people, just presented by way of public hearing. :hmm:

That's the problem. How do you convince someone that something is fact when they don't even care what's fact or fiction?

Forgive me. It's late. 3am. I'm tired. This topic makes me cynical. I need some tequila and beddy time so night night... :sleepy:

No youre not wrong. Im gonna say something i never thought id say before: Hillary was right. Damn that kinda hurt typing it. But honestly I think Hillary was right about half of Trump's supporters , at this point anyways, are deplorable ignorant scum who will never change their positions based on facts. When you look at the numbers that is down to about 15% of our society and I think thats an honest number.

The key will be whether the other 15% of Trump supporters and the mainstream conservatives will be willing to going back to shunning the mouth breathing racist crowd or do they keep them in the fold for the votes.

• Like 1

So youre convinced that any negative thing about Trump is a false accusation, yet dont support him......do you see why that may be confusing to the rest of the class?

Show me anywhere I said anything like that. Don't put words in my mouth. He is to get the same consideration as anyone else in this country. He is innocent until proven guilty. Otherwise, it's simply the same ol' lynch mob mentality that hasn't been seen since before the fifties. I'd rather not go back to those days.

1 minute ago, Michelle said:

Show me anywhere I said anything like that. Don't put words in my mouth. He is to get the same consideration as anyone else in this country. He is innocent until proven guilty. Otherwise, it's simply the same ol' lynch mob mentality that hasn't been seen since before the fifties. I'd rather not go back to those days.

Sure ill rush right out and pore through your litany of pro trump and anti anyone opposing trump posts to prove a point, im right on that :tu:

• Haha 1