Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Killer monk' said to lurk in haunted Devon pub

UM-Bot

• The title was changed to 'Killer monk' said to lurk in haunted Devon pub

In 1539

were handed over to Lord Russell, who evicted the remaining monks.The priory church and buildings were quickly demolished, and the books and church ornaments sold.

For some reason, the public house has become a favourite of believers in the supernatural.

http://www.exetermemories.co.uk/em/_pubs/cowickbarton.php

Above is the history about the building.  There is nothing about the a monk killing anyone.

The pub changed owners last year, some good reviews, but also some not so good.

Typical case of drumming up business because of the age of the building, but there is no reason for it to be haunted as the article says "for some reason" . Their reason does not tie in with the history of the place. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Jeepers, is every very old pub in England haunted?

I'm thinking a lot are because of all the history and emotions and events associated with them.

Same thing with old battlefields, cemeteries, hospitals, mental asylums, etc.. 

The owner/manager of my regular pub died suddenly and unexpectedly just a  few short years ago and I heard stories of some bartender ladies seeing him. I've never seen him after his death but I never felt he was very fond of me even when alive, LOL. Anyway my strong suit is logic and reason and  not psychic abilities.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I was known for lurking in pubs in UK 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Jeepers, is every very old pub in England haunted?

I'm thinking a lot are because of all the history and emotions and events associated with them.

Same thing with old battlefields, cemeteries, hospitals, mental asylums, etc.. 

The owner/manager of my regular pub died suddenly and unexpectedly just a  few short years ago and I heard stories of some bartender ladies seeing him. I've never seen him after his death but I never felt he was very fond of me even when alive, LOL. Anyway my strong suit is logic and reason and  not psychic abilities.

Funnily enough, always seems to be the case. Those who are open to believe in such things often seem to encounter, ahhh, supernatural phenomenon. Those who dont believe in the phenomenon never experience anything at all. 

Edited by Gecks
  • Like 2

Another monk, by the name of William of Ockham, would likely have argued that the event is simply intended to 'brew' some business.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, Gecks said:

Funnily enough, always seems to be the case. Those who are open to believe in such things often seem to encounter, ahhh, supernatural phenomenon. Those who dont believe in the phenomenon never experience anything at all. 

IMO, it is more than just 'belief' as I think some people have more natural proclivity to experiencing the paranormal because of individual variance of our interpenetrating physical and astral bodies. Some people are just more 'psychic' than others.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

Anyway my strong suit is logic and reason and  not psychic abilities.

That's the funniest thing I've heard all day!

• Thanks 4

5 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

IMO, it is more than just 'belief' as I think some people have more natural proclivity to experiencing the paranormal because of individual variance of our interpenetrating physical and astral bodies. Some people are just more 'psychic' than others.

Or its the fact that people experience very normal circumstances, and believe them to be paranormal either due to lack of education on the workings of nature and the real world or not applying commonsense. 

The fact they're open to the belief about the paranormal gives them another outlet of 'reasoning'.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Gecks said:

Or its the fact that people experience very normal circumstances, and believe them to be paranormal either due to lack of education on the workings of nature and the real world or not applying commonsense. 

The fact they're open to the belief about the paranormal gives them another outlet of 'reasoning'.

What you say may occur some of the time but I certainly don't think that explains it every time or even the majority of times. Some events just can't be explained from the bag of normal explanations is my opinion from hearing stories for decades now,

10 hours ago, papageorge1 said:

What you say may occur some of the time but I certainly don't think that explains it every time or even the majority of times. Some events just can't be explained from the bag of normal explanations is my opinion from hearing stories for decades now,

Yes and the biggest problem with these stories you've been hearing for years now is people have a natural tendancy to exaggerate and lie.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Gecks said:

Of course there are exceptions. I don’t believe cause I’m open to it. I believe cause I was forced to. 

• Like 1

On ‎1‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:03 PM, papageorge1 said:

Anyway my strong suit is logic and reason and  not psychic abilities.

Uh-huh, and I am the Queen of the Fey.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

logic & common sense will always rule

Unfortunately, some are blinded for that desperate 'want' for things to be paranormal that they'll quite happily sidestep 'logic & common sense' to fulfil that deep desire. No amount of 'logic or common sense' will sway them. It's deep rooted.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

@Gecks yep to everything you've said so far= no matter what one believes; logic & common sense will always rule;)

Never underestimate the stupidity of people. Especially in groups...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

58 minutes ago, Stiff said:

Unfortunately, some are blinded for that desperate 'want' for things to be paranormal that they'll quite happily sidestep 'logic & common sense' to fulfil that deep desire. No amount of 'logic or common sense' will sway them. It's deep rooted.

I agree... An intelligent mind in conflict with deep-rooted fantasy must be horrendous= a constant battle that will eventually drive them mad!

You see it all the time in here: 'refusing to commit- mentally unable to speak honestly from either side of the fence'= saying one thing that gives you the feeling they're coming from one side of the fence only to say something later that makes you feel the opposite!
VERY frustrating when attempting a rational debate on subjects of this nature = it's futile & normally ends up nothing more than a slagging match!

I say anything claimed as supernatural/ aliens on this planet/ bigfoot etc etc is all BS= the only reason these subjects still exists is to earn money for those responsible for fueling it.. There ya go, that's committing;)

Edit to add:

sorry, i forgot to say <IN MY OPINION>

Edited by Dejarma
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Stiff said:

Just as unfortunately some who never cared about any of it are confronted by the paranormal. Are forced to believe in things they never even conceived might be true. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, preacherman76 said:

Just as unfortunately some who never cared about any of it are confronted by the paranormal. Are forced to believe in things they never even conceived might be true. 

when it's proved i'll believe

• Like 3

2 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Or what they 'conceive' to be paranormal. There's a difference.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gecks said:

Yes and the biggest problem with these stories you've been hearing for years now is people have a natural tendancy to exaggerate and lie.

I apparently have a higher opinion of people in general than you. They may not be perfect in storytelling and memory but I believe they are overwhelmingly honest about the basics of their stories. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Stiff said:

And this is exactly my comment earlier about people being un educated on the effects of the natural state of the world and being subject to believing in the paramormal. 

The concepts of the paranormal have been used to pave ways in society for 100s of years now as a way of explaining what people didnt understand or logically put 2 and 2 together... example: that chair was rocking because theres a window open and a breeze is blowing it, whether you felt the breeze or not is not proof it was rocking because your grandma who passed away last week is still here. 

If science hadnt allowed our understanding of the phenomenon to progress we would still be putting rocks on coffins to stop the dead rising and drowning or burning witches at the stake. 

• Thanks 2

10 hours ago, Stiff said:

Right. Oh well, I suppose it’s better to live in the world your mind has created for its self. I honestly hope you never have to experience the things folks like myself have. I can truly see how ignorance is bliss on this subject. 

I’m many years away from my haunting experiences. So they don’t bother me at all anymore. But I would have definitely rather spend my time believing what you do, then to have faced at the time what I did. So no harm no foul. Just know though, you are wrong, and there is no other way about it. 

11 hours ago, Dejarma said:

when it's proved i'll believe

I don’t care what anyone believes about it. I don’t have the luxury of belief or unbelief. I can no more deny it’s real then I can that gravity exists. 

In a way, you should be thankful you still have that choice. 

55 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I don’t care what anyone believes about it.

so why bother talking about it= what's the point?

• Like 1