Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Killer monk' said to lurk in haunted Devon pub

UM-Bot

11 hours ago, acute said:

What "research" is it possible to do on an unpredictable (possibly fleeting) paranormal occurrence?

In this golden age of technological wonder and smart phones, tablets CCTV, why can no one capture positive footage? Why can no one give an account that cant be explained.

Every picture Ive seen claiming to capture an entity to this point in time has been photoshopped, faked, poorly processed, real persons reflctions, real persons mistaken for an entity, cases of pareidolia etc. Orbs are the result of camera flash or light reflecting off dust particles in the air. 

So called ghost hunters with equipment that can supposedly detect the paranormal ( ok geniuses).

As stated in a previous post the power of the human brain is strong. I believe, people believe they encounter things due to not understanding what they experience or the mind creates the experience. These are those who aren't out right lying for attention.

We can all agree that people can halucinate and see things that are not there and hear voices. 

Theres cases of peoples minds creating new memories to cope with abuse and trauma and these have been associated at times with said persons believing they were attacked by an entity rather than there beloved family member. These are exceptionally sad cases as people have been physically and mentally assaulted.

People claim they can feel something, yes mostly anxiety. The reaction of brain chemistry tied in with a belief theres a presence to be felt.

Then theres mundane cases with reports such as "the chair was rocking with no one in it"... well yes the window was open and a breeze blew it. Or " we heard footsteps in the hall and looked out and no one was there"...  because someone was there but had since walked out of sight. "My keys were moved and I found them under a cushion on the couch" ....yes because you forgot to put them in your usual spot yesterday and sat on the couch as you were tired where they fell out your pocket and ended up under the cusion or another person moved them etc etc.

If someones truly having a repeat visitation it should be possible to 1) capture sone sort of proof or 2) unfortunately its not possible as its only in their head. This circumstance I find incredibly heartbreaking as no doubt these persons truly belive they're experiencing an entity and it must be really quite terrifying. 

If its a one off experience its its likely one of the above explanations. 

Here I put foward some realistic and true explanations and facts. These are proven facts. 

The fact that these are true and proven scientic facts hold credibility to myself and others as opposed to someones accounts that, to all the stories Ive heard to date, can be explained with the above reasoning. 

Edited by Gecks
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Gecks said:

In this golden age of technological wonder and smart phones, tablets CCTV, why can no one capture positive footage? Why can no one give an account that cant be explained.

Every picture Ive seen claiming to capture an entity to this point in time has been photoshopped, faked, poorly processed, real persons reflctions, real persons mistaken for an entity, cases of pareidolia etc. Orbs are the result of camera flash or light reflecting off dust particles in the air. 

So called ghost hunters with equipment that can supposedly detect the paranormal ( ok geniuses).

As stated in a previous post the power of the human brain is strong. I believe, people believe they encounter things due to not understanding what they experience or the mind creates the experience. These are those who aren't out right lying for attention.

We can all agree that people can halucinate and see things that are not there and hear voices. 

Theres cases of peoples minds creating new memories to cope with abuse and trauma and these have been associated at times with said persons believing they were attacked by an entity rather than there beloved family member. These are exceptionally sad cases as people have been physically and mentally assaulted.

People claim they can feel something, yes mostly anxiety. The reaction of brain chemistry tied in with a belief theres a presence to be felt.

Then theres mundane cases with reports such as "the chair was rocking with no one in it"... well yes the window was open and a breeze blew it. Or " we heard footsteps in the hall and looked out and no one was there"...  because someone was there but had since walked out of sight. "My keys were moved and I found them under a cushion on the couch" ....yes because you forgot to put them in your usual spot yesterday and sat on the couch as you were tired where they fell out your pocket and ended up under the cusion or another person moved them etc etc.

If someones truly having a repeat visitation it should be possible to 1) capture sone sort of proof or 2) unfortunately its not possible as its only in their head. This circumstance I find incredibly heartbreaking as no doubt these persons truly belive they're experiencing an entity and it must be really quite terrifying. 

Here I put foward some realistic and true explanations and facts. These are proven facts. 

The fact that these are true and proven scientic facts hold credibility to myself and others as opposed to someones accounts that, to all the stories Ive heard to date, can be explained with the above reasoning. 

yep, nicely put, Gecks me 'ol mate;)

• Like 1

On 1/16/2019 at 5:23 PM, psyche101 said:

Critcal thinkers for the most. 

As other posters here have stated many are aware of these subjects because at one time many find the claims more than interesting. It seems at that point people go either one of two ways. 

They study the phenomena in earnest, and like those posting above find rational explanations for many of these conundrums, if not all, and the claims lose their shine. Often these people hope to see something genuine one day, but due to a genuine effort, can recognise a great many mysteries as mundane items they have very reasonable answers to quite early. 

Or

People dive head first into woo and accept anything and everything as mysterious. I really don't think it's a coincidence that when people start opening up to one aspect of the subject that they suddenly become an unexplained mysteries hot-spot. Belief in gods, aliens on earth, the afterlife, Bigfoot and dimensional beings suddenly seem to be part of their life. Happens often. Sometimes a poster sticks with just one paranormal subject and champions it but I find often we get people like PG. Who seems to base credibility of a subject based on the proportionality of ridiculousness. The sillier a story, the more he seems to support it. 

So for the majority, poeple react to these tall tales by either hunting them down and capturing them, or letting imagination run wild. 

so what does judging people have to do with it? Yeah we all pick who we find interesting and believe but that doesnt change peoples personal experiences. Some of us are more interested in the base information than the judgement of all the characters that openly discuss the subject.

On 1/17/2019 at 4:32 AM, Gecks said:

.thats great and  all but personally i have been in a house where footsteps went up the stairs and such. It is easier for you to say mundane explanation if you never experienced it and thats good for you but it doesnt chamge the reality of it happening. Ive been abducted and i was wearing pjs no pockets no phone it was hard enough just asking for information thinking i could prove something with info and havimg nothing but thats just how it is. If every picture you saw was photo shopped so be it and if you think you are mentally superior to anybody who saw or heard something unusual so what. Its just as likely that people like you are experiencing things in your lifetime too but dont notice or acknowledge them.

The other day I read a story about a lady who had a horrendous accident. The fire chief was shocked because three seperate people had come to help the lady and walked right past her to look in the house. In her terrifyingly disfigured state thier brains did not register the sight as real and they walked right by until asked why. 

Now when i saw a craft with somebody they were amazed and we talked about it and a year later didnt even remember it happening.

Of course people who tell thier stories know how judgemental people act when you say something they dont want to believe. We are all well aware of people that feel the need to write off anybody who says anuthing that doesnt fit thier beliefs or narrative and yet somehow these narcissists still seem to think everything is about swaying thier firmly planted opinion. Nobody cares about the opinion of someone who staggers through life blindfolded letting thier beliefs outweigh thier eyes.  If you never experienced disembodied footsteps great! But dont fool yourself thinking your somehow more sane than somebody who has. Youve drawn an awful lot of conclusions there with the 0 evidence. Its funny how all evidence is fake and yet you can draw full conclusions about the cause of phenomena without any information whatseoever. 

7 hours ago, Nnicolette said:

.thats great and  all but personally i have been in a house where footsteps went up the stairs and such. It is easier for you to say mundane explanation if you never experienced it and thats good for you but it doesnt chamge the reality of it happening. Ive been abducted and i was wearing pjs no pockets no phone it was hard enough just asking for information thinking i could prove something with info and havimg nothing but thats just how it is. If every picture you saw was photo shopped so be it and if you think you are mentally superior to anybody who saw or heard something unusual so what. Its just as likely that people like you are experiencing things in your lifetime too but dont notice or acknowledge them.

The other day I read a story about a lady who had a horrendous accident. The fire chief was shocked because three seperate people had come to help the lady and walked right past her to look in the house. In her terrifyingly disfigured state thier brains did not register the sight as real and they walked right by until asked why. 

Now when i saw a craft with somebody they were amazed and we talked about it and a year later didnt even remember it happening.

Of course people who tell thier stories know how judgemental people act when you say something they dont want to believe. We are all well aware of people that feel the need to write off anybody who says anuthing that doesnt fit thier beliefs or narrative and yet somehow these narcissists still seem to think everything is about swaying thier firmly planted opinion. Nobody cares about the opinion of someone who staggers through life blindfolded letting thier beliefs outweigh thier eyes.  If you never experienced disembodied footsteps great! But dont fool yourself thinking your somehow more sane than somebody who has. Youve drawn an awful lot of conclusions there with the 0 evidence. Its funny how all evidence is fake and yet you can draw full conclusions about the cause of phenomena without any information whatseoever. 

I have given examples of what people interpret as experiencing other worldly phenomena and how those examples are explained by scientific reasoning. 

You make a claim of skeptics being narcissists yet people like myself are aware of the incredible amount of stories and sightings and are continually looking for a story that might finally be of some tangible proof of the paranormal, aliens etc. We are open to the possibility. Believers on the other hand such as yourself 'know' you are right and arent willing to accept the fact maybe your wrong and what you've experienced is simply hallucinations created by your brain. 

Perhaps you should consult with a doctor or psychiatrist and ask them. Perhaps you are hallucinating due to an anomaly such as a brain tumor. But you wont because while the sceptics are still investigating and searching, people like yourself Nnicolette already 'know'.