Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Killer monk' said to lurk in haunted Devon pub

UM-Bot

37 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

so why bother talking about it= what's the point?

I don’t understand? You are the one on a mb designed for people to talk about such things. Shouldn’t you be asking yourself that question?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I don’t understand? You are the one on a mb designed for people to talk about such things. Shouldn’t you be asking yourself that question?

you didn't answer the question= are you trying to convert skeptics?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dejarma said:

so why bother talking about it= what's the point?

I think what @preacherman meant when he said 'I don’t care what anyone believes about it'  was just that he is not affected by people telling him it is not real.

He is interested in sharing with open-minded people from my experiences with him.

Edited by papageorge1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Dejarma said:

Not at all. If anything I'm trying to make this a place where all are welcome to share their experiences, and their opinions. A place where people can share, even when they don't have scientific proof. 

Why? Don't you think there are enough skeptics here? Cant even tolerate two people in a thread who believe in possibilities?  

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Dejarma said:

I agree... An intelligent mind in conflict with deep-rooted fantasy must be horrendous= a constant battle that will eventually drive them mad!

You see it all the time in here: 'refusing to commit- mentally unable to speak honestly from either side of the fence'= saying one thing that gives you the feeling they're coming from one side of the fence only to say something later that makes you feel the opposite!
VERY frustrating when attempting a rational debate on subjects of this nature = it's futile & normally ends up nothing more than a slagging match!

I say anything claimed as supernatural/ aliens on this planet/ bigfoot etc etc is all BS= the only reason these subjects still exists is to earn money for those responsible for fueling it.. There ya go, that's committing;)

Edit to add:

sorry, i forgot to say <IN MY OPINION>

It would seem if not to earn money then simply to gain attention.

Ill be honest this is pretty much my viewpoint as well.

Heres the kicker, I believed in the paranormal and aliens, the possibilities of cryptids etc. Ive had countless books on the subjects, seen countless interviews etc etc and at some point I started to realise there was something about these stories that just didnt add up. Firstly there was no more real evidence than peoples accounts, secondly everything was a government cover up or conspiracy. I asked myself questions like why if I can print plans off the internet for a working schematic of a flying saucer, are companies like NASA wasting all this time developing rockets and spacecraft when the answers clearly right here to interstellar space travel.... smuggled out by a whistle blower who worked at area 51 or the such.

I started following the work of people like Joe Nickell, started to truly research hauntings and orbs, true sightings of ufos, major events like Roswell and the most important aspect, trying to learn about the science of the brain and human behavior. 

When you truly do the research, in scientific fact we have the explanations for the so called unexplained. The answers are there. And its not the ' non believers' that perhaps need to be open minded.

Edited by Gecks
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Right. Oh well, I suppose it’s better to live in the world your mind has created for its self. I honestly hope you never have to experience the things folks like myself have. I can truly see how ignorance is bliss on this subject. 

I’m many years away from my haunting experiences. So they don’t bother me at all anymore. But I would have definitely rather spend my time believing what you do, then to have faced at the time what I did. So no harm no foul. Just know though, you are wrong, and there is no other way about it. 

Theres sometimes a truth behind stories like this. The sheer power of the human brain is an amazing thing.

It has been known for people to undergo abuse by family members and as a coping mechanism the brain blocks certain parts out and creates others, often attributed to paranormal forces. 

But if something bad truly did befall you many years ago as you say Im sorry. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Gecks said:

Theres sometimes a truth behind stories like this. The sheer power of the human brain is an amazing thing.

It has been known for people to undergo abuse by family members and as a coping mechanism the brain blocks certain parts out and creates others, often attributed to paranormal forces. 

But if something bad truly did befall you many years ago as you say Im sorry. 

Its all good Gecks. BTW I think this is our first time conversing. I'm glad to have met you.

I honestly do understand your POV. If I never experienced anything, and someone told me the things I experienced as though I was outside of it, I'd think they were, well, at the least, telling me something that wasn't true. Even if they really thought it was.

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Cant even tolerate two people in a thread who believe in possibilities?

i believe it's possible. what has become tedious for me though is people like your good self using words like ignorance when referring to folk who haven't experience things like you say you have

I can truly see how ignorance is bliss on this subject. 

how do you as a logical person honestly expect people to believe you when they have not experienced anything of this nature? it's not going to happen, is it =without proof!

so i'll ask you again:

why bother talking about it= what's the point?

because most of the time you're arguing with skeptics rather than talking to those who believe in possibilities= a contradiction there because according to you it's real, not a possibility!

if it's only other believers you want to talk to then use your common sense & start a thread for that purpose.. if you don't then i want you to tell me why you type in an open thread full of ignorant skeptics?

what point are you trying to make? oh un-ignorant one

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

i believe it's possible. what has become tedious for me though is people like your good self using words like ignorance when referring to folk who haven't experience things like you say you have

how do you as a logical person honestly expect people to believe you when they have not experienced anything of this nature? it's not going to happen, is it =without proof!

I didnt mean to use the word ignorant as a negative. Ignorant just means you have no knowledge or experience of said subject. That's all I meant by it. It wasn't intended to insult.

so i'll ask you again:

because most of the time you're arguing with skeptics rather than talking to those who believe in possibilities= a contradiction there because according to you it's real, not a possibility!

if it's only other believers you want to talk to then use your common sense & start a thread for that purpose.. if you don't then i want you to tell me why you type in an open thread full of ignorant skeptics?

what point are you trying to make? oh un-ignorant one

Actually most of the time I don't even bother anymore. Conversations like this one are rare for me now a days. Since you asked though, the reason I have engaged skeptics more often then not, is because by the time I get to these threads the skeptics have already run off the OP, especially when they are new to the boards.

BTW I consider a few of the skeptics here friends of mine. Or at least have found some level of respect.  I don't only want to speak to believers. I'd just like to see everyone here speak respectfully towards each other, regardless of their beliefs. More often then not, when a skeptics opinions are not taken as fact, they often tend to get nasty about it. Some get condescending and belittle others in their very first post.

I'd just like believers to know that regardless of the avalanche of negativity towards them here, there are others here who can at least sympathize.

Edited by preacherman76
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

More often then not, when a skeptics opinions are not taken as fact, they often tend to get nasty about it. Some get condescending and belittle others in their very first post.

There are quite a few like yourself in here who constantly bash on about their beliefs & alleged experiences & get quite aggressive at times when confronted with a skeptics questioning.
They tend to class this questioning as: <nasty/ condescending/ belittling> just as you have!

For all anyone knows (believers as well) you could be lying through your teeth regarding your experiences= how are we supposed to know? We just have to take your word for it, true?- why should I/we take your word for it?

Not understanding this (which you clearly do not) but still carry on in the way you do (not just you of course) suffering the ignorance with the feeling of <nasty/ condescending/ belittling> being aimed at you IMO is: 'the ultimate in ignorance'!! Think about it... Thanks

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

There are quite a few like yourself in here who constantly bash on about their beliefs & alleged experiences & get quite aggressive at times when confronted with a skeptics questioning.
They tend to class this questioning as: <nasty/ condescending/ belittling> just as you have!

Always in response. I never take the lead in such confrontations.

28 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

For all anyone knows (believers as well) you could be lying through your teeth regarding your experiences= how are we supposed to know? We just have to take your word for it, true?- why should I/we take your word for it?

Not understanding this (which you clearly do not) but still carry on in the way you do (not just you of course) suffering the ignorance with the feeling of <nasty/ condescending/ belittling> being aimed at you IMO is: 'the ultimate in ignorance'!! Think about it... Thanks

And here is where this conversation nearly always goes. I'm not asking you to believe me. I have been more then clear in this and many other threads I more than understand your doubt. On this very page I clearly said if I was in your shoes I very much doubt I'd believe in any of this. Heck 90% of these threads I don't respond at all directly because I don't believe what ever the OP has stated. Or at least I just cant relate.

Again my issue is not in a lack of belief. Its the lack of respect I take issue with.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

Always in response. I never take the lead in such confrontations.

And here is where this conversation nearly always goes. I'm not asking you to believe me. I have been more then clear in this and many other threads I more than understand your doubt. On this very page I clearly said if I was in your shoes I very much doubt I'd believe in any of this. Heck 90% of these threads I don't respond at all directly because I don't believe what ever the OP has stated. Or at least I just cant relate.

Again my issue is not in a lack of belief. Its the lack of respect I take issue with.

why should i respect you? you do nothing more than tell the forum you've had experiences= that could be a complete lie for all i/ we know, as i've already stated= that is not worthy of respect imo

Edited by Dejarma

26 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

why should i respect you? you do nothing more than tell the forum you've had experiences= that could be a complete lie for all i/ we know, as already stated= that is not worthy of respect imo

Because you agreed to those terms when you signed up to this site. Thank you though for proving my point.

1 minute ago, preacherman76 said:

Because you agreed to those terms when you signed up to this site. Thank you though for proving my point.

you've done nothing/ said nothing that deserves any respect from me

5 minutes ago, Dejarma said:

you've done nothing/ said nothing that deserves any respect from me

I’ve not done or said anything to you to not deserve it either. I don’t understand why you constantly confuse belief with respect.

Me stating my beliefs and talking about my experiences in no way harms or insults you in anyway. The fact that you believe it does says much more about you then it does me.

Which of course was my point this entire time. 

13 minutes ago, preacherman76 said:

I’ve not done or said anything to you to not deserve it either. I don’t understand why you constantly confuse belief with respect.

Me stating my beliefs and talking about my experiences in no way harms or insults you in anyway. The fact that you believe it does says much more about you then it does me.

Which of course was my point this entire time. 

fair enough

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Gecks said:

It would seem if not to earn money then simply to gain attention.

i agree..... there are a few (i won't mention names because like you i'm sure the list will go on & on) who earn a good living via the ufo/ aliens on earth subjects etc.

attention seeking is the main one i should have included... i normally do but imo those on said list are the main problem;)

Edited by Dejarma

16 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Right. Oh well, I suppose it’s better to live in the world your mind has created for its self.

My mind hasn't actually created anything for itself that I'm aware of, but I'm open to learning otherwise.

I honestly hope you never have to experience the things folks like myself have.

Thank you. I hope not either. Any experiences I've had (which are few) are fairly trivial things that I've always put down to explainable things - 'tricks of light', 'tiredness', bad lighting' etc etc.

I can truly see how ignorance is bliss on this subject. 

You may well be right there.  I imagine some experiences can be truly frightening.

I’m many years away from my haunting experiences. So they don’t bother me at all anymore.

Good.

Just know though, you are wrong, and there is no other way about it. 

This is the only thing I will take umbrage to. Unless you can prove otherwise, then I'm not wrong. In exactly the same way that I can't prove you are wrong. We both have opinions, that's all.

You do seem a sensible guy though, especially as you see both sides of the coin, which on here isn't always the case (I can be the worst for this at times) so for that, you have my respect.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, Dejarma said:

Being skeptical and decidedly being in denial of anything that doesn't suit your beliefs are two different things which are overtly misrepresented here on a constant basis. If you aren't interested in the topics it says a great deal about your personality when you frequent the discussions of matters you despise to heckle others and feel in your  mind you proved/disproved something by making distasteful comments and (usually) poor explanations that only illuminate your inadequate understanding of the subjects and ranges of possibilities..

That being said its about time somebody figures out that people sharing thier stories and beliefs arent a ploy to trick the bitter into believing in fairytales. Those of us with experiences relevant to discuss here do so because we seek answers or too share, not to convince some random narcissist of anything. "Skeptics" seem to think it is all about a battle to win thier all important opinion as if it wasnt already decided without any facts. Hardly important to  somebody sharing thier experiences.

Edited by Nnicolette
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, Dejarma said:

i agree..... there are a few (i won't mention names because like you i'm sure the list will go on & on) who earn a good living via the ufo/ aliens on earth subjects etc.

attention seeking is the main one i should have included... i normally do but imo those on said list are the main problem;)

thats pretty silly... somebody who thinks everybody trying to anonymously discuss thier experiences on the internet are attention seekers. So what would you call the people who spend thier time belittling those people and trying to draw every one of thier personal stories into somehow being about  winning over thier approval and proving something to them?

• Like 1

On 1/14/2019 at 11:32 PM, Nnicolette said:

thats pretty silly... somebody who thinks everybody trying to anonymously discuss thier experiences on the internet are attention seekers. So what would you call the people who spend thier time belittling those people and trying to draw every one of thier personal stories into somehow being about  winning over thier approval and proving something to them?

Yes, there is such a thing as professional negativists that show up in every paranormal thread there is just to dump on people.  Sad but true. :( 

• Like 1

On 1/15/2019 at 2:32 PM, Nnicolette said:

Critcal thinkers for the most. 

As other posters here have stated many are aware of these subjects because at one time many find the claims more than interesting. It seems at that point people go either one of two ways. 

They study the phenomena in earnest, and like those posting above find rational explanations for many of these conundrums, if not all, and the claims lose their shine. Often these people hope to see something genuine one day, but due to a genuine effort, can recognise a great many mysteries as mundane items they have very reasonable answers to quite early. 

Or

People dive head first into woo and accept anything and everything as mysterious. I really don't think it's a coincidence that when people start opening up to one aspect of the subject that they suddenly become an unexplained mysteries hot-spot. Belief in gods, aliens on earth, the afterlife, Bigfoot and dimensional beings suddenly seem to be part of their life. Happens often. Sometimes a poster sticks with just one paranormal subject and champions it but I find often we get people like PG. Who seems to base credibility of a subject based on the proportionality of ridiculousness. The sillier a story, the more he seems to support it. 

So for the majority, poeple react to these tall tales by either hunting them down and capturing them, or letting imagination run wild. 

• Thanks 2

On 14/01/2019 at 11:54 AM, Gecks said:

When you truly do the research, in scientific fact we have the explanations for the so called unexplained. The answers are there.

What "research" is it possible to do on an unpredictable (possibly fleeting) paranormal occurrence?

7 minutes ago, acute said:

What "research" is it possible to do on an unpredictable (possibly fleeting) paranormal occurrence?

If it exists in this reality at all it can be measured and weighed. There are 7 billion people. If 1% claimed such we genuine, that's thousands of cases everyday. It's inconceivable that nothing can ever be captured. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1