Jump to content
Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Still Waters

Airborne arachnids appear over Brazil

Recommended Posts

Still Waters

Summer in south-east Brazil has brought soaring temperatures and some disconcerting eight-legged visitors.

Residents in a rural area of southern Minas Gerais state have reported skies “raining spiders”, a phenomenon which experts say is typical in the region during hot, humid weather.

Photos and videos shared on social media show hundreds of spiders hanging in the sky.

João Pedro Martinelli Fonseca, who filmed one of the most widely shared clips, was traveling with his family to his grandparents’ farm in Espírito Santo do Dourado, about 250km north-east of São Paulo, when he realized the sky was covered with black dots.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jan/11/raining-spiders-brazil

  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Jodie.Lynne

See? No one listened when I said spiders were invaders from another world!

Now they have airborne troops.

We're doomed.

  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jodie.Lynne

@Eldorado

Sure, you're laughing now, just wait until you wake up one morning and discover that the Arachnids have nuclear weapons!

Did I mention that we're doomed? 

  • Haha 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eldorado
5 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

@Eldorado

Sure, you're laughing now, just wait until you wake up one morning and discover that the Arachnids have nuclear weapons!

Did I mention that we're doomed? 

I like spiders. (cheaper than fly-killer and good company if desperate enough)

Did you know India and Pakistan have nuclear weapons? I ask you, who in their right mind would arm those two?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Piney
33 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

I like spiders. (cheaper than fly-killer and good company if desperate enough)

 

:yes: They don't complain and keep ex girlfriends away. 

  • Haha 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stiff

I don't mind spiders that much. Now, when snakes start doing this kind of stuff, that's when I'm gonna start freaking out! Sometimes I'm glad I live in colder climes. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter

Nature, what can't she do. I have fond memories of sitting in my float tube on the lake watching thousands an thousands of spiders windsurfing across the lake with a single thread sail. Once the wind picked up, do did they. Off into the air they sailed like a misty cloud. I wished them a good flight. That same summer, same lake, two weeks later, a huge blue damsel fly hatch started and they all started landing on us for safety. My fishing parter took a pic of me. I looked like a big blue fuzzy fishing statue in a float tube. My fly rod looked like a long fuzzy blue stick. There had to be close to a million of them on the lake with us. Ah, memories. :wub:

Ain't nature grand?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
3 hours ago, Hankenhunter said:

Nature, what can't she do. I have fond memories of sitting in my float tube on the lake watching thousands an thousands of spiders windsurfing across the lake with a single thread sail. Once the wind picked up, do did they. Off into the air they sailed like a misty cloud. I wished them a good flight. That same summer, same lake, two weeks later, a huge blue damsel fly hatch started and they all started landing on us for safety. My fishing parter took a pic of me. I looked like a big blue fuzzy fishing statue in a float tube. My fly rod looked like a long fuzzy blue stick. There had to be close to a million of them on the lake with us. Ah, memories. :wub:

Ain't nature grand?

My friend you are a fly fisherman? I thought I was the only one around here......we need a thread

Edited by Farmer77
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter

Ive been fly fishing since I was 10. Mind you back then we used to hogtie horseflies to a hook with 10 ought thread. We called it flogging horseys.  *adjusts onion belt before continuing* Since then my technique has improved greatly. Now a days, I mostly fly fish for steelhead and small ponds for endless trout. I used to tie flies commercially, but too many years with a chain saw in my hands put and end to that. I do enjoy teaching and passing on the art. My son has surpassed me in skill so I am content,other than my continuing quest to ice fish a trout with a dry fly. Alas, Ive been unsuccessful. 

Edited to add; fly tying is the art of catching fly fishermen to buy your flies.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
2 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Ive been fly fishing since I was 10. Mind you back then we used to hogtie horseflies to a hook with 10 ought thread. We called it flogging horseys.  *adjusts onion belt before continuing* Since then my technique has improved greatly. Now a days, I mostly fly fish for steelhead and small ponds for endless trout. I used to tie flies commercially, but too many years with a chain saw in my hands put and end to that. I do enjoy teaching and passing on the art. My son has surpassed me in skill so I am content,other than my continuing quest to ice fish a trout with a dry fly. Alas, Ive been unsuccessful. 

Very nice, gotta say im jealous! I grew up chasing trout, dolly and grayling in AK but due to health reasons have been doing the warmwater thing for a couple of years now. Bass suck, I mean they're fun cuz theyre easy to catch but meh, believe it or not fly fishing for carp has become my passion as of late. They are hands down the hardest freshwater fish to catch on a fly and they fight like a semi truck.  In fact I want to head to your neck of the woods (kinda) and fish them in the Columbia this spring.

I tie my own as well never professional quality though, but I can sympathize with the hand issue, MS limits me to a couple of flies at a time. Im gonna break down and buy a rotary vice one of these days to help with that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter
On 1/12/2019 at 9:59 PM, Farmer77 said:

Very nice, gotta say im jealous! I grew up chasing trout, dolly and grayling in AK but due to health reasons have been doing the warmwater thing for a couple of years now. Bass suck, I mean they're fun cuz theyre easy to catch but meh, believe it or not fly fishing for carp has become my passion as of late. They are hands down the hardest freshwater fish to catch on a fly and they fight like a semi truck.  In fact I want to head to your neck of the woods (kinda) and fish them in the Columbia this spring.

I tie my own as well never professional quality though, but I can sympathize with the hand issue, MS limits me to a couple of flies at a time. Im gonna break down and buy a rotary vice one of these days to help with that.

Farmer, If you have the cash, check out a Norvise system. It is an astounding fly tying vice. Even comes with a self retracting bobbin. It spins deer hair, and makes dubbing a pleasure. It's got bearings in it to allow free spinning. Its pretty expensive at about $600 Canadian, but it is the best and fastest vice I have ever used. You can even quick dry the head cement by giving the vice a free wheel spin. Just buying the retractable bobbin will make you 50-60% faster and more efficient. I believe it also comes with a  lifetime guarantee. 

Check it out.

https://www.google.com/search?q=norvise+fly+tying+system&client=tablet-android-bell-ca&prmd=sivn&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwiV3qOJvu7fAhU-FzQIHaQzAzwQ_AUoAnoECBYQAg&biw=1024&bih=768&dpr=2

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
19 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

Farmer, If you have the cash, check out a Norvise system.

Man ill never forget the first time i saw someone using one of those at a trade show I think I spent an hour drooling while a dude whipped out b***** after b*****.

Sadly Im so broke I was very excited to find that Cabelas has a rotary in the 45 dollar range the other day.  I just cant see me ever being able to justify the price tag on the norvise.

Plus with my tying skills the vice would probably reject me :lol:

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
 
Farmer77

Haha it edited b*****, as in wooly b***** :

wooly.jpg

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter
6 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Man ill never forget the first time i saw someone using one of those at a trade show I think I spent an hour drooling while a dude whipped out b***** after b*****.

Sadly Im so broke I was very excited to find that Cabelas has a rotary in the 45 dollar range the other day.  I just cant see me ever being able to justify the price tag on the norvise.

Plus with my tying skills the vice would probably reject me :lol:

Seems were in the same boat. I sold mine long ago when I broke my back. I ended up buying a cheaper Renzetti later to tie steelhead flies.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter
4 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

Haha it edited b*****, as in wooly b***** :

wooly.jpg

 

Add more purple to that bad boy and watch out.B)

Edited by Hankenhunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Farmer77
1 minute ago, Hankenhunter said:

Seems were in the same boat. I sold mine long ago when I broke my back. I ended up buying a cheaper Renzetti later to tie steelhead flies.

So I started a threat on it at the time and the auction is over but did you get a chance to look through the Lefty Kreh estate sale?  I know literally zero fisherman so I havent been able to share with anyone, this is cool as hell Lefty Kreh Estate

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter

I followed lefty for years. His flys were a work of art and set a standard that's hard to beat. His steelhead fly silhouettes are things of beauty. Great link Farmer. Thanks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hankenhunter
33 minutes ago, Farmer77 said:

So I started a threat on it at the time and the auction is over but did you get a chance to look through the Lefty Kreh estate sale?  I know literally zero fisherman so I havent been able to share with anyone, this is cool as hell Lefty Kreh Estate

P.m sent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Escalus Drax

I think I will thoroughly pass on visiting this nightmare-come-true.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Impedancer

Flying spiders is nothing new to me i sometimes wonder what airborne division they came with probably the ghost division..I've heard that they get airborne by using electricity not only the wind since they also have been observed in windless conditions apparently naturally occurring electromagnetic fields can trigger this process and provide lift and velocity, It sounds totally bananas to me no wonder all the hairs on your body stands when you see a spider. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.