Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sci-fi technology predictions that came true

Still Waters

Science fiction introduces us to elaborate, futuristic worlds that often sound like nothing more than a dream.

But humanity has made incredible technological advancements over the past 100 years, and many of the ideas predicted in science fiction have now become reality.

Some predictions, like self-driving cars, are still in the early stages, but scientists and engineers have reached many other milestones first described in fiction, such as bringing people to the moon.

Take a look at 15 wild fictional predictions that have come true.

https://www.sciencealert.com/these-15-wild-sci-fi-predictions-about-future-tech-actually-came-true

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

One of my favourite SF trilogies, Michael Kube-McDowell's "Trigon Disunity" ("Emprise", "Enigma" and "Empery") was published in the mid-1980s, and effectively predicted the Internet and email.

(It also predicted the triumph of rationality over superstition in society, so it was clearly a fantasy!) ;)

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Douglas Adams "predicted" both the internet/google/wikipedia and the tablet on which all such information could be viewed,    And the Voice of the Guide in the radio plays was a precursor of Alexa/Siri etal

His prediction that the Earth would be demolished for a hyperspace bypass has not come true though.    Yet .......

• Like 2

I don't see Arthur C Clarke on the list, he of geosynchronous satellites used for ”extra-terrestrial relays” fame. 

I think Sci Fi writers secretly believe they are an under utilised resource, I recently finished Footfall by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle, in their story of alien invasion they include a group of Sci Fi writers as advisers to the US president working on strategy to counter the aliens. Their input helps save humanity. 

Perhaps we should use them more ? ;)

Edited by L.A.T.1961
  • Like 2

It wasn't Jules Verne who described the first rocket to the moon. It was Cyrano de Bergerac.

• Like 1