Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who you gonna trust?

Jodie.Lynne

Who do you Trust?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more likely to trust Theists more than you trust Atheists?

• YES. And I am an Atheist
    • NO. And I am an Atheist
    • YES. And I am a Theist
    • NO. And I am a Theist
    • Undecided. Please explain below
    • It depends on the person, not their beliefs or lack there of.

Mr Walker stated that "It's a fact that more people trust believers, even atheists".

I just wanted to see what the general consensus was regarding the truth of that statement.

And, for the sake of the poll, whether you believe in the biblical god, Odin, Shiva, Allah, or the great bird of the galaxy, if you have faith in a higher power, please consider yourself a theist in this instance.

Because frankly, there are more flavors of belief than Baskin-Robbins has flavors of ice cream!

Thank you for your time. :)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Mr Walker stated that "It's a fact that more people trust believers, even atheists".

Trust in what sense? 

If that there is a god then that is not true at all. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, freetoroam said:

Trust in what sense? 

If that there is a god then that is not true at all. 

I believe he meant "overall trust", in that a believer is more trustworthy. Not necessarily in a religious sense.

• Like 4

Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

I believe he meant "overall trust", in that a believer is more trustworthy. Not necessarily in a religious sense.

Well he is talking ball locks.

The fact he says believers, which i assume he means in some form of religious belief,  does not make any sense. 

As a non believer in a superior figure, why would i trust someone who is.....but again, trust in what exactly? Are we talking about everyday things, financial advise, to look after my dog, to be able to fix my washing machine?  

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

As one interested in the paranormal I have found theists to generally be more honest. Atheist-materialists more tend to not be interested in the facts but in protecting their worldview.

• Haha 3

I chose the depends on the person. I like to judge people on who they are and how they act and not their personal beliefs. I've met a number of dishonest people from both groups.

• Like 2

Just now, papageorge1 said:

As one interested in the paranormal I have found theists to generally be more honest. Atheist-materialists more tend to not be interested in the facts but in protecting their worldview.

I think you have that bass ackways olde chum.

More theists openly reject straight up facts that are in opposition to their beliefs than the reverse.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 5

Pardon me, but will somebody please explain how a person can really ever know what someone else believes?

Edited by Will Due
  • Like 1

i mean, "trust" in the sense you quoted is such an vague concept... i tend to trust people who have shown themselves to be honest? whatever there beliefs might be doesn't really factor into it.

also ghostbusters.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Will Due said:

Pardon me, but will somebody please explain how one person can really ever know what someone else believes?

Because they tell you?

• Like 2

Believers, especially Christians, are not allowed to lie. But they believe in ancient lies (IMO), so they cancel each other out. Conclusion: They most often don't lie about current/personal/non-faith matters.

Atheists however have no restrictions. I am one, and I lie sometimes. Lies are necessary when vulnerable emotions are involved, and the truth can cause more damage that avoiding it. "Lies" is the diplomat between souls. Conclusion: The more personal, the more lies.

Honestly I trust none of them completely. But depending on the issue, I might trust one of them more than the other.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

.More theists openly reject straight up facts that are in opposition to their beliefs than the reverse.

True. But non believers do not have a belief so they are not making any claims to be opposed.

I am still a bit confused about this trust thing.  

If a believer tried to tell me there is a god, i would not believe them. But if they said they could fix my car because they have the credentials to show me they are a mechanic, then i would trust them.

• Like 2

"Who you gonna trust?" GHOSTBUSTERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But not Bill Murrays character....

As far as the poll goes I don't see how someone beliefs are relevant to my trusting them.

I don't care if you are religious or not. Though if you are to far down the talking-in-tongues and snake-handling rabbit hole I might just assume you are a nutter.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I think you have that bass ackways olde chum.

More theists openly reject straight up facts that are in opposition to their beliefs than the reverse.

I was focusing more on paranormal claims and my bass is in the back where it belongs, thank you. Many atheist-materialists seem to have an unfair dislike against the paranormal that skews their reaction and argumentation upon hearing of such things.

Just now, Jodie.Lynne said:

Because they tell you?

When it comes to politics and religion, other things too probaby, people say things they don't really believe themselves sometimes. That's what's behind the idea that we're not supposed to judge others I think.

1 minute ago, papageorge1 said:

Many atheist-materialists seem to have an unfair dislike against the paranormal that skews their reaction and argumentation upon hearing of such things.

Maybe coz it defies the laws of nature?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

If a believer tried to tell me there is a god, i would not believe them. But if they said they could fix my car because they have the credentials to show me they are a mechanic, then i would trust them.

Exactly. We aren't talking about "trust me, there is a god, cuz I'm a believer".

It is the everyday sense of trust.

Example: All things being equal, 2 qualified candidates apply for the job of watching your kids while you are away. One a theist, one not. Their credentials and references are on a par with each other. Which do you hire?

• Like 2

A feature of living up here in secular country is that I don't even know whether people I deal with everyday are believers or not unless I know them fairly well. Of course, if I know them fairly well, then I know whether or not they're trustworthy.

Bottom line, knowing somebody's religion up here is as useful as boobs on a bull.

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2

I would not choose to distrust someone just because they are wearing a religious sign,  but i would not decide to trust them if they told me they were religious.

If someone tells me they are a psychic and can tell me my future,  i would not trust them to do that and i certainly would not pay them, but many do as they believe in it and are prepared to hand over their money because = they trust them.

• Like 1

Just now, sci-nerd said:

Maybe coz it defies the laws of nature?

And I would argue nothing defies the laws of nature. Science doesn't yet know of the laws operating in the super-physical planes.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Exactly. We aren't talking about "trust me, there is a god, cuz I'm a believer".

It is the everyday sense of trust.

Example: All things being equal, 2 qualified candidates apply for the job of watching your kids while you are away. One a theist, one not. Their credentials and references are on a par with each other. Which do you hire?

Neither.

I'd examine myself and fix whatever I did that caused me and my kids to live a lifestyle where I needed to be in a position where I needed to trust someone to watch my kids.

4 minutes ago, eight bits said:

A feature of living up here in secular country is that I don't even know whether people I deal with everyday are believers or not unless I know them fairly well. Of course, if I know them fairly well, then I know whether or not they're trustworthy.

Bottom line, knowing somebody's religion up here is as useful as boobs on a bull.

Lol. That's pretty funny.

2 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

I genuinely wouldn't care either way. And short of them wearing a cross or pentagram or going out of their way to ask me about my Thetan I don't know how I would know they are religious.

I know that in Australia asking someones religious beliefs in a job interview would be asking for a lawsuit.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Many atheist-materialists seem to have an unfair dislike against the paranormal that skews their reaction and argumentation upon hearing of such things.

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with disliking.  That is a ridiculous thing to say.

Asking for proof is not an indication of a dislike.

But i will tell you, we can certainly reverse this as the believers do not like being put on the spot. Oh boy have we seen many throw their dummy out of the pram when they are asked a few questions. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Absolutely most definitely the atheist. Setting aside the whole catholic issue I have known multiple sexual predators in evangelical Christianity.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1