Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who you gonna trust?

Jodie.Lynne

Who do you Trust?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more likely to trust Theists more than you trust Atheists?

• YES. And I am an Atheist
    • NO. And I am an Atheist
    • YES. And I am a Theist
    • NO. And I am a Theist
    • Undecided. Please explain below
    • It depends on the person, not their beliefs or lack there of.

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

It has absolutely NOTHING to do with disliking.  That is a ridiculous thing to say. 

To me, the dislike is obvious. That is why the OP is asking for individual opinions.

3 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Asking for proof is not an indication of a dislike.

Proof and disproof are rarely possible. Fair consideration is what I am asking for.

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

throw their dummy out of the pram 

OK, to end on a better note, your sayings are soooo entertaining. I need  to go to Wales on my next vacation.

Why do you have to trust? What's wrong with keeping an open mind that they may or may not be trust worthy and base it solely on their actions per action? I don't trust anyone but I don't distrust them either, I just wait and see.

50 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Mr Walker stated that "It's a fact that more people trust believers, even atheists".

:)

It's s fact that walker turns every thread into the mr walker hour. Listening to anything he says is an exercise in futility. 

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Exactly. We aren't talking about "trust me, there is a god, cuz I'm a believer".

It is the everyday sense of trust.

Example: All things being equal, 2 qualified candidates apply for the job of watching your kids while you are away. One a theist, one not. Their credentials and references are on a par with each other. Which do you hire?

I would employ the person who does not make a point in telling me about their beliefs.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

To me, the dislike is obvious. That is why the OP is asking for individual opinions.

Wrong as wrong can be.

I am asking for individual opinions in order to confirm or refute a statement made by another poster on these forums. Did you even read my initial post on this?

THIS IS NOT a thread about whether god claims or paranormal claims are true or false.

What this IS, is an attempt to gather opinions on whether, overall, theists are more trusted than non-theists. There is no hidden agenda, no trick question.

Simply put: are theists more trustworthy and/or reliable than non-theists.

Some of you are reading far too deeply between the lines, and forgetting about the lines themselves.

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Wrong as wrong can be.

I am asking for individual opinions in order to confirm or refute a statement made by another poster on these forums. Did you even read my initial post on this?

THIS IS NOT a thread about whether god claims or paranormal claims are true or false.

What this IS, is an attempt to gather opinions on whether, overall, theists are more trusted than non-theists. There is no hidden agenda, no trick question.

Simply put: are theists more trustworthy and/or reliable than non-theists.

Some of you are reading far too deeply between the lines, and forgetting about the lines themselves.

I am fully clear on the OP's intent. I agree it is not about whether paranormal claims are true but rather who (theist or atheist) we more trust to be fair and honest.

.Are you more likely to trust Theists more than you trust Atheists?

Sounds to me like our individual opinion is being solicited.

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

If that there is a god then that is not true at all. 

What?  Is that a joke?

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Sounds to me like our individual opinion is being solicited.

Congratulations! You've just won an all-expense paid trip to Obviousland! :D

Of course I'm asking for individual opinions. What did you think, that I was asking you for someone else's opinion?

I even stated that in the post you quoted.

Edited by Jodie.Lynne
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Jodie.Lynne said:

Congratulations! You've just won an all-expense paid trip to Obviousland! :D

Read a few posts up. I want to go to Wales:D

1 hour ago, freetoroam said:

Trust in what sense? 

If that there is a god then that is not true at all. 

If it’s not true, I guess you can prove that statement.  Well?  Prove your statement - there is no God.  That’s what you meant, right?

2 minutes ago, Guyver said:

If it’s not true, I guess you can prove that statement.  Well?  Prove your statement - there is no God.  That’s what you meant, right?

Only the person making the claim needs to prove it. 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Guyver said:

What?  Is that a joke?

I was replying to the question about trust. 

Why would a non believer trust someone more just because they believe in a god? = i say that is not true.

I do not agree with this: 

"It's a fact that more people trust believers, even atheists".

9 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

Only the person making the claim needs to prove it. 

You made the claim, I quoted you.  So, if you can’t defend your statement, you should retract it.  I mean, if you wish to be the type of person who has integrity.  If integrity means nothing to you, then nevermind.

1 minute ago, freetoroam said:

I was replying to the question about trust. 

Why would a non believer trust someone more just because they believe in a god? = i say that is not true.

I do not agree with this: 

"It's a fact that more people trust believers, even atheists".

Ok....but that’s not what you said.  You said there was no god.  I switched it to God when I asked you about it.

1 hour ago, papageorge1 said:

As one interested in the paranormal I have found theists to generally be more honest. Atheist-materialists more tend to not be interested in the facts but in protecting their worldview.

Hi Papa

So a guy gets hit by a mack truck and looks like crap. The paramedics get there, do you care what their religious attitudes are, or the nurses and doctors at ER, no your thinking I don't want to die, I want my arm put back on, right? Your mechanic, dentist, the cop on the corner or the girl that poured your coffee does it matter you have to trust them to perform their duty regardless of what they think of your religious perspective.

jmccr8

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Guyver said:

You made the claim, I quoted you.  So, if you can’t defend your statement, you should retract it.  I mean, if you wish to be the type of person who has integrity.  If integrity means nothing to you, then nevermind.

What are you on about? 

I do not believe in a god,  that is not a claim.

A claim is saying there is one,  which has not been proven as it is just a belief.

But this us not what the thread is about.

I find it a bit rich for someone to imply non believers would trust a believer just because they believe in a superior being. Thats rubbish. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Guyver said:

All he said was "if there is a god", he never specifically said "there is no god." His statement implies uncertainty.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Will Due said:

Pardon me, but will somebody please explain how a person can really ever know what someone else believes?

because they tell you

51 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

It's s fact that walker turns every thread into the mr walker hour. Listening to anything he says is an exercise in futility. 

Which is why I encourage people to just put him on their ignore list. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 minutes ago, Guyver said:

Ok....but that’s not what you said.  You said there was no god.  I switched it to God when I asked you about it.

I do not believe there is one, but again, keeping in with what the thread is about, i was addressing this in my posts #4 and #12.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Hi Papa

So a guy gets hit by a mack truck and looks like crap. The paramedics get there, do you care what their religious attitudes are, or the nurses and doctors at ER, no your thinking I don't want to die, I want my arm put back on, right? Your mechanic, dentist, the cop on the corner or the girl that poured your coffee does it matter you have to trust them to perform their duty regardless of what they think of your religious perspective.

jmccr8

Yes, it is often not relevant. But I am not clear why you are even asking this question.

4 minutes ago, freetoroam said:

I do not believe there is one, 

That is better.  That is closer to the truth.

6 minutes ago, papageorge1 said:

Yes, it is often not relevant. But I am not clear why you are even asking this question.

Well Papa

You made a comment in a thread about trusting religious people and you indicated that it did make a difference and I am trying to determine where and how you would apply that trust. At this point, it would seem that if you needed help or service to attend to your comfort and safety that religious inclination would not be that big of an issue. 

Is life that irrelevent?

jmccr8

Edited by jmccr8
not sure but did it anyway
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, jmccr8 said:

Is life that irrelevent?

I don't understand the question, sorry???

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

Believers, especially Christians, are not allowed to lie. But they believe in ancient lies (IMO), so they cancel each other out. Conclusion: They most often don't lie about current/personal/non-faith matters.

I wouldn't bet money on that sci!

How many pastors, ministers, preachers and evangelists get busted cheating on their wives, using drugs, or renting 'dates' all the while screaming their righteousness from the pulpit?

• Like 4