Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Korean Shamanism

Piney

In the southern part of Korea, mostly south of the Han River, the calling is mostly hereditary. You might learn the profession from your parents, or from your grandmother, or from an uncle. These shamans do rituals, but they do not get possessed by gods or spirits. So there can be a vast difference in shamanic style.

This is how we work it. 

• Like 6

I see shamans as nature psychologists, who are more concerned with symbolism and emotions. They treat illness by empowering the patients own will and confidence.

Our mind is the most powerful thing we have. If one gains total control of mind and emotions, one becomes capable of amazing things.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

2 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

I see shamans as nature psychologists, who are more concerned with symbolism and emotions. They treat illness by empowering the patients own will and confidence.

You've watched me work. :whistle:

Except with actual serious medical issues. Positive reinforcement aids in healing and herbs are medicines and help with some minor problems but they don't replace treatments for major ones and they do have drug interactions with many medications. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

Except with actual serious medical issues. Positive reinforcement aids in healing and herbs are medicines and help with some minor problems but they don't replace treatments for major ones and they do have drug interactions with many medications.

Good and important point! We can't "will" everything away.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Good and important point! We can't "will" everything away.

If we could I'd be eating Italian bread. :yes:

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Piney said:

If we could I'd be eating Italian bread. :yes:

I'd recommend a Danish "Håndværker" with cheese ;)

629_image.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I'd recommend a Danish "Håndværker" with cheese ;)

Especially with those poppy seeds to make it all the more painful. :wacko:

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, Piney said:

Especially with those poppy seeds to make it all the more painful. :wacko:

Dammit friend, life is picking on you! You must say no to too many things! :(

The etymology of the "håndværker" is that it is preferred by the common handyman (håndværker), due to its hard crispy shell.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Dammit friend, life is picking on you! You must say no to too many things! :(

I have celiacs, remember? Wheat be a no-no. 

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, sci-nerd said:

Our mind is the most powerful thing we have. If one gains total control of mind and emotions, one becomes capable of amazing things.

That goes directly against what most shamans would say about their "healing abilities". Ironically, in your own logic, people would stop getting healed if you convince them of your opinion regarding shamans, even if the shaman would have real working healing abilities!

3 minutes ago, Reignite said:

That goes directly against what most shamans would say about their "healing abilities". Ironically, in your own logic, people would stop getting healed if you convince them of your opinion regarding shamans, even if the shaman would have real working healing abilities!

How many real shamans do  you know? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Reignite said:

I have met one. Why do you ask?

Because your having a conversation with a multi-generational Algonquian one right now and I'm more than willing to explain how it works.

Although I've kinda went 'rogue". 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Piney said:

You've watched me work. :whistle:

My roots agree with this as well. Nowdays I work more with shadow work/Jung than rattles and rain sticks :) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Not A Rockstar said:

My roots agree with this as well. Nowdays I work more with shadow work/Jung than rattles and rain sticks :) 

Some Mambos, along with some Mask Dancers allow possession, which I find a interesting take on the Northern Shamans. 

Crooked Nose possesses those who wear his mask. As with the Miisinghk. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Reignite said:

You have met ONE, you say, and yet can tell two shaman here what "most" believe?

I can help you with a lot, and do a great deal of supportive work for the ill but they need real medical people for major issues like resistant infections, cancers, surgical needs. Unless it was post Armageddon and no help was available I would not even try to tell you I can do more, and even what I CAN do is limited a lot by your own belief. Anybody claim otherwise, run. We aren't tribal anymore, nor do we find ourselves limited to that level of technology.

And yes, I am a real Shaman and active worker. So is @Piney

And no, I do not care if you believe that. I just do not like disinformation about it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Piney said:

Some Mambos, along with some Mask Dancers allow possession, which I find a interesting take on the Northern Shamans. 

Crooked Nose possesses those who wear his mask. As with the Miisinghk. 

*I* only experience it as like channeling. I am fully aware of what is said and what is going on, I just let the words flow and another personality if they need to when I did this. That is old, though. They quit doing that so much once I learned my own lessons well from them. Talk for myself now.

What the TRUTH is for others, I couldn't say. I have observed a lot of fakes in action though.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Not A Rockstar said:

What the TRUTH is for others, I couldn't say. I have observed a lot of fakes in action though.

I've carved the Miisinghk and "empowered" them. But I never wore one. I've never carved a panther mask, or used one for my "transformation" as some Night Walkers do. I was born what I was so never had to become one. 

I've lost track of the fakes. :lol:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Not A Rockstar said:

You have met ONE, you say, and yet can tell two shaman here what "most" believe?

I can help you with a lot, and do a great deal of supportive work for the ill but they need real medical people for major issues like resistant infections, cancers, surgical needs. Unless it was post Armageddon and no help was available I would not even try to tell you I can do more, and even what I CAN do is limited a lot by your own belief. Anybody claim otherwise, run. We aren't tribal anymore, nor do we find ourselves limited to that level of technology.

And yes, I am a real Shaman and active worker. So is @Piney

And no, I do not care if you believe that. I just do not like disinformation about it.

So because I have met "only" one Shaman you disregard my opinion as misinformation, even though I'm defending a true Shaman's healing capability? Some Shaman you are...

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Piney said:

Because your having a conversation with a multi-generational Algonquian one right now and I'm more than willing to explain how it works.

Although I've kinda went 'rogue". 

Interesting! What do you mean with rogue? Do you still consider yourself a traditional Shaman even though you wen 'rogue'?

3 hours ago, Reignite said:

Interesting! What do you mean with rogue? Do you still consider yourself a traditional Shaman even though you wen 'rogue'?

I talk about traditions outside of the tribe and stopped using ceremonial objects. 

3 hours ago, Reignite said:

So because I have met "only" one Shaman you disregard my opinion as misinformation, even though I'm defending a true Shaman's healing capability? Some Shaman you are...

He's a very good one. We've been close friends for 20 years. 

• Like 4

23 minutes ago, Piney said:

I talk about traditions outside of the tribe and stopped using ceremonial objects. 

He's a very good one. We've been close friends for 20 years. 

I'm sure he is. But that still doesn't mean he has to act all high and mighty pretending he has transcended the need to learn from other people. It's not really a trustworthy introduction for people not knowing him for twenty years.

Anyway, I still don't full understand why you asked me how many real shamans I know. Are you trying to tell me I am wrong regarding my point on healing powers? By all means, enlighten me ;)

Edited by Reignite

16 minutes ago, Reignite said:

I'm sure he is. But that still doesn't mean he has to act all high and mighty pretending he has transcended the need to learn from other people. It's not really a trustworthy introduction for people not knowing him for twenty years.

Anyway, I still don't full understand why you asked me how many real shamans I know. Are you trying to tell me I am wrong regarding my point on healing powers?

I'm curious. My grandfather was very good. But he was very good at using the "power of suggestion". It was more psychology than any power. 

• Like 2