Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Google Maps captures ‘UFO’ in Florida

Unusual Tournament

Google Maps captures ‘UFO’ in Florida, near the Bermuda Triangle

An eagle-eyed Google Maps user has reported a mysterious “UFO sighting” in broad daylight.

The strange object is partly blurred, and was spied in an area just outside of the notorious Bermuda Triangle.

Even when zoomed in, it’s hard to define exactly what the object is.

https://www.news.com.au/technology/science/space/google-maps-captures-ufo-in-florida-near-the-bermuda-triangle/news-story/02ed9aea8f598f049b50a24a53964267

• Like 3

No contrail either. What kind of jet did the ufo pass?

Or are we talking about the fuzzy bug picture that's farther down?

Latter is simply a bug. The former...? Looks pretty cool whatever it is.

• Like 1

Oh, that's easy. It's a UFO of the intelligently built/flown variety. Other wordly, too.

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps
  • Like 1

Contrails depend on the jet's engine design and also conditions at the altitude in question - as little as 100 feet can mean the difference between contrail and no contrail.  To me, looks like another jet probably a thousand feet higher for separation, travelling the same route but in slightly drier conditions.

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

Contrails depend on the jet's engine design and also conditions at the altitude in question - as little as 100 feet can mean the difference between contrail and no contrail.  To me, looks like another jet probably a thousand feet higher for separation, travelling the same route but in slightly drier conditions.

This makes sense. You can see it on a mountain side in early winter, or just driving down into a valley. The freezing line is pretty sharply shown in detail. One second you're in snow, the next second dirt. At that height it would be pretty hard to tell differences in height. I would still like to know what type of aircraft was passed. At least it would provide a bit of perspective. *shrugs*

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

After reading your post, I immediately thought that your Snoopy avatar should be sitting on his doghouse/biplane. :D

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Hankenhunter said:

This makes sense. You can see it on a mountain side in early winter, or just driving down into a valley. The freezing line is pretty sharply shown in detail. One second you're in snow, the next second dirt. At that height it would be pretty hard to tell differences in height. I would still like to know what type of aircraft was passed. At least it would provide a bit of perspective. *shrugs*

Yup.  It is very common for there to be only a quite thin layer (if there is one at all) at which conditions are right for contrails.  It's a precise combination of temperature, pressure and humidity, all of which vary at different rates as you go up..

Interestingly, if we had dates/times and location / direction of view, we could use services like FlightRadar24 or FlightAware, etc to pinpoint the two planes and even their altitudes at that time.  Those flight tracking services now include commercial, private, gov't and military flights, so unless it was some sort of super-secret stealth plane (and generally they do *NOT* fly anywhere near commercial flight paths), the identities of the two aircraft would show up.  There are even services that help predict contrails - so given enough information we could nail it down to a pretty high degree of accuracy.  I think I would only bother going that far if the sighting contained something unexplainable by 'normal' means..

Edited by ChrLzs
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

That's so obviously a butterfly, that I doubt anybody ever suggested it was anything other than a butterfly, except whomever made the article. Dunno about the video on that page, but that's not the subject of the thread anyways

Okay, so the one is a butterfly but what the devil is flying past the jet? Any dedunking out there?

It's another jet, likely significantly closer to the the observer - hence the overtake - and flying through slightly warmer/colder/drier air - hence no trails.

The weird shape is a (very brief) artifact caused by the object being slightly out of focus - the shape tells you more about the optical design and aperture shape of the camera, than it does about the thing itself.

If you watch the actual footage, you will see that the image is horrifyingly over-enlarged - the camera has essentially doubled/quadrupled/etc the pixels - it's not 'real' enlargement, it's the dreaded digital zoom....  That means that the shape you see takes on odd edge effects and false shapes - you will note that they have chosen one frame out of *lots*, and it's pretty much the only frame that has that odd shape.  If a proper analysis was done you would average all the shapes, and also have to take into account the focus setting and aperture shape and setting, in order to then *truly* refine the shape...

They didn't do that - they've cherry picked that one frame... and that is against the laws of science..  :D

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Many sightings true belivers hail to are results of these same type anomalies....

• Like 1

10 hours ago, bogdan9310 said:

There are lots of evidence that UFOs are real, but people just refuse to believe it.

Depends what a person calls a "ufo" i see by definition ufos all the time but i firmly believe just because its unidentified to me at that moment they all still have a down to earth prosaic explanation.

Now if a person wants me to believe any ufo is a spacecraft flown by beings from distant planets then it is up to them the true believer to drop pushing their belief at me and provide me with good testable scientific proof and in the end they never have anything except excuses.

23 hours ago, bogdan9310 said:

There are lots of evidence that UFOs are real, but people just refuse to believe it.

real what?  If you mean that they are unidentified, flying and objects... NO-ONE here denies those exist, and I see about ten each day - ie things I can't be bothered to identify.  Mostly birds, bugs and aircraft.

Frankly, I'm getting mighty sick of misuse of the term.  If you are claiming it means something else, then please state your hypothesis.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChrLzs said:

real what?  If you mean that they are unidentified, flying and objects... NO-ONE here denies those exist, and I see about ten each day - ie things I can't be bothered to identify.  Mostly birds, bugs and aircraft.

Frankly, I'm getting mighty sick of misuse of the term.  If you are claiming it means something else, then please state your hypothesis.

When I say "they", I don't mean this community, but the general public.

49 minutes ago, bogdan9310 said:

When I say "they", I don't mean this community, but the general public.

You side stepped the real question,

We dont argue ufos are real but what does ufo mean to you?

4 hours ago, the13bats said:

You side stepped the real question,

We dont argue ufos are real but what does ufo mean to you?

Unidentified flying object... duuuh.

• Confused 1

On 04/02/2019 at 10:21 PM, ChrLzs said:

It's another jet, likely significantly closer to the the observer - hence the overtake - and flying through slightly warmer/colder/drier air - hence no trails.

yep

35 minutes ago, bogdan9310 said:

Unidentified flying object... duuuh.

Um, thanks for skirting the real question yet again,

Earlier you said,

There are lots of evidence that UFOs are real, but people just refuse to believe it.

"People" what people, members of your "duuuh" club?

Can you present to me just one person who says by definition unidentified flying objects are not real.

I have noticed an annoying down right assine trend of the term "Ufo" to mean only crafts operated by non humans IE aliens.

And of course any thinking person knows how ridiculous that is, we have all kinds of things flying around that are unidentified but not of alien origins,

Perhaps someday someone will prove that a specific ufo is an alien craft but thats what we are waiting on...proof.

To be fair since you said

There are lots of evidence that UFOs are real,

Its time you present that "lot of evidence"

29 minutes ago, the13bats said:

Its time you present that "lot of evidence"

oh don't say that bats- we'll end up getting links to bloody Roswell/ Rendlesham/ B&B Hill & billy bloody meier thrown at us ;)

Ah geez, not those lame example again...you left out chris o'brien and george adamski

Edited by the13bats

On 08/02/2019 at 12:13 PM, bogdan9310 said:

real what?

• 1 month later...
On 2/4/2019 at 2:41 PM, ParahormonalActivity said:

That's so obviously a butterfly, that I doubt anybody ever suggested it was anything other than a butterfly, except whomever made the article. Dunno about the video on that page, but that's not the subject of the thread anyways

I fail to see a butterfly, just assumptions.

2 hours ago, TomHaider51 said:

I fail to see a butterfly, just assumptions.

I fail to see someone who actually read the thread.  On the page linked in the OP are 2 (TWO) images, and a cropped version of the second looks like this:

9122407a316e93b790544c57711db240?width=6 (from here )

?????   You don't see a butterfly bisected by an image stitch?  I'd suggest you pick a different hobby...

• Haha 2