Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

8ft Bigfoot statue prompts spate of sightings

UM-Bot

I am sure people will state that just because people are mistaking a statue for BF does not mean that all reports are as mistaken.

Well I wanted to find out if this was real and i t appears to be real.

https://www.bgdailynews.com/news/national/no-that-s-not-bigfoot--foot-statue-causes-sighting/article_e8de1942-2ea8-59bb-8f87-e3575bf6d8c4.html

https://www.wcnc.com/video/news/weird/bigfoot-statue-prompts-911-calls-in-nc/275-af9f7b07-6e73-43b2-8bf6-1720e594b714

That's just 2 of the links I found.

My suggestion is that if people think a carved statue is bigfoot then they are also going to misidentify people and logs and deer and bear and even bushes as BF. Wasn't that long ago that a guy in a raccoon fur suit was labeled a BF and the video was posted online. Hard to accept any reports as real when carvings are reported.

• Like 6

That's funny ! Always dreamed to scare tourist near the family land with a bigfoot costume before running back in the woods.

NB: nobody carry firearms here beside hunting season...would not do that in the US.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, stereologist said:

My suggestion is that if people think a carved statue is bigfoot then they are also going to misidentify people and logs and deer and bear and even bushes as BF. Wasn't that long ago that a guy in a raccoon fur suit was labeled a BF and the video was posted online. Hard to accept any reports as real when carvings are reported.

My boss carved a 6ft Bigfoot and set him in a swamp off of Deerfield Pike. It caused some car accidents along with the Bigfoot reports. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, seanjo said:

Has it got any bullet holes in it yet?

Too close to the EMS Hall/State Trooper barracks. Rednecks are stupid, but not that stupid. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

No way! :lol:  I'm going to guess the people reporting this as bigfoot were just funnin.

• Like 3

I caught the name of the town, Mocksville.  Man from Mocksville mocks locals with mock Bigfoot. I like this guy. 

Wait, i cant see muscle movement under the fur, no way this a faked.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Myles said:

Would this be considered a hoax?

I think that reports would b e hoaxes if people knew they were reporting a statue.

When I lived in New England there was a farmer that put a statue by the road of a moose. People got out of their cars to photograph the moose. That moose statue made the newspapers. It had prompted reports of a moose in the area. Due to a parasite deer and moose populations do not overlap much. Reports of a moose in a deer zone is worth mentioning.

I don't see the statue as a hoax. It is art that draws attention and conversation. I think that makes it art.

• Like 1

I would so love it in my yard....

• Like 1

It doesn't really lend any help to the skeptics or the believers.   Obviously not for the believers.   It's a statue. 

Some skeptics might say that it is evidence that eye witness accounts are not to be believed.  It does show that in a little way, but it is a statue of bigfoot, so it should be expected that it gets confused with a real bigfoot.  

• Like 1

Of course this shows just how unreliable witness accounts are,

John Shepherd did a cool albeit a bit silly study on human perception, he made a huge about 4 foot wide ufo hat, it had lights and all now on his head its about 7 feet in the air,

He would walk back off the road side out into fields etc at night and people in cars would see this and call in the local police, he would get those reports, all thought it was a real flying craft, all thought it was way bigger and higher.

Same type thing joe nickles has done with mothman, lake monsters etc.

Witness accounts are not evidence as far as im concerned.

Edited by the13bats

I would like to add that the usual refrain from believers is, "Are you calling everyone a liar?" 

That's an absurd knee jerk reaction. All that is being stated is that witness accounts are unreliable. That has nothing at all to do with anyone purposely giving a false account.

It seems that just about every day in the news there is a story about witnesses to an event giving differing statements. It happens. 

14 hours ago, stereologist said:

I would like to add that the usual refrain from believers is, "Are you calling everyone a liar?" 

That's an absurd knee jerk reaction. All that is being stated is that witness accounts are unreliable. That has nothing at all to do with anyone purposely giving a false account.

It seems that just about every day in the news there is a story about witnesses to an event giving differing statements. It happens. 

This opens an interesting area for me, lets get past people making it up and who know they are an issue is people who see something and mistake it for something else,

Example lorie winkelman saying her and her son saw something some where calling the jersey devil, it flew at them hopped across their roof monsterquest had a makeup artist build a replica and of course they hailed it as "it" but the problems start there, the prints on the roof didnt really match anything but was hopping, the tree branches couldnt have suppported weight the replica was like 8 feet tall flying monster creature a bit hard to hide, then they passed polygraphs they did see "something" they were sincere,

Of course they shot down what i believe it was.

8 hours ago, the13bats said:

This opens an interesting area for me, lets get past people making it up and who know they are an issue is people who see something and mistake it for something else,

Example lorie winkelman saying her and her son saw something some where calling the jersey devil, it flew at them hopped across their roof monsterquest had a makeup artist build a replica and of course they hailed it as "it" but the problems start there, the prints on the roof didnt really match anything but was hopping, the tree branches couldnt have suppported weight the replica was like 8 feet tall flying monster creature a bit hard to hide, then they passed polygraphs they did see "something" they were sincere,

Of course they shot down what i believe it was.

As you point out here, one of the problems is that the identification is often made by someone other than the observer.

The witness says I saw something. Someone else asserts, you saw bigfoot or the jersey devil, or whatever is the crypto du jour.

Yep,

And we cant make conclusions based on unknowns, unknown creature, unknown distance, no real size reference, startling fleeting few second view and then a jump is made to well that must be jersey devil, bf, a lake monster etc.

I guess those assumptions are more glamorous than saying it was an owl a bear or a fish.....