Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China seeds sprout on the Moon

Eldorado

(Sorry if this is the wrong forum)

Seeds taken up to the Moon by China's Chang'e-4 mission have sprouted, says China National Space Administration. It marks the first time any biological matter has grown on the Moon, and is being seen as a significant step towards long-term space exploration.

The Chang'e 4 is the first mission to land on and explore the Moon's far side, facing away from Earth. It touched down on 3 January, carrying instruments to analyse the region's geology.

Plants have been grown on the International Space Station before but never on the Moon.

The ability to grow plants on the Moon will be integral for long-term space missions, like a trip to Mars which would take about two-and-a-half years.

It would mean that astronauts could potentially harvest their own food in space, reducing the need to come back down to Earth to resupply.

Full monty: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-china-46873526

• Like 6
  • Thanks 3

great Chinese are awesome, much better results and updates provided than Nasa!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Does it seem like that?  They had an in depth 90 minute documentary about the New Years Ultima Thule fly-by on January 3rd on PBS. Also, if you want to bother to check they live stream most of the big events on missions so you can watch live. https://www.nasa.gov/nasalive

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I'm more concerned with what it will taste like, if it tastes like the moon .... bleargh ....

~

• Haha 4

Kudos and two thumbs up to our Chinese brothers. Now who's up for sprouts? 

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

5 hours ago, third_eye said:

I'm more concerned with what it will taste like, if it tastes like the moon .... bleargh ....

~

What if the moon is the best tasting thing in history? To my knowledge, no one's taste tested it yet.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, Glacknor said:

What if the moon is the best tasting thing in history? To my knowledge, no one's taste tested it yet.

Moon Dust popping candy is not from the Moon?  Grr.  Can anyone be trusted these days?

• Haha 3

Just to be clear: the seeds are not growing on the Moon or even in the Moon's atmosphere, they are growing inside a completely sealed mini biosphere.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, ouija ouija said:

Just to be clear: the seeds are not growing on the Moon or even in the Moon's atmosphere, they are growing inside a completely sealed mini biosphere.

Yep, but they are still in microgravity ! Don't know how much radiation shield they have ?

• Like 2

When they get around to growing potatoes in moon soil they may have problems. The Apollo astronauts reported that it smells and tastes something like gunpowder!

• Thanks 1

So its back to Big Macs in space then ?

~

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, Glacknor said:

True grit? Grits and gravey? Got nuthin.<_<

• Haha 1

On 15/01/2019 at 10:49 PM, qxcontinuum said:

This comment could only be made by someone that knows nothing about the Chinese space programme and NASA.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Waspie_Dwarf said:

This comment could only be made by someone that knows nothing about the Chinese space programme and NASA.

Consider the comment made by a readers digest nerd, who finds his favorite magazine lacking pleasant articles and subject but suddenly finds a competitor delivering everything he wants

you don't have to be an expert to enjoy clear photos, not edited 

Edited by qxcontinuum
  • Like 2

On ‎16‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 12:51 PM, third_eye said:

~

My Asian fiancé dislikes old cheese also.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AtlantisRises said:

My Asian fiancé dislikes old cheese also.

Absolutely, Century Eggs are just so much better, with a slice of pickled ginger and a dash of lemon :yes:

~

• Like 2

23 hours ago, qxcontinuum said:

Consider the comment made by a readers digest nerd, who finds his favorite magazine lacking pleasant articles and subject but suddenly finds a competitor delivering everything he wants

you don't have to be an expert to enjoy clear photos, not edited 

You don’t have to be an expert to find clear NASA photos. Reader’s Digest is not their primary means of publication, in case you weren’t aware. 

What do you mean by the Chinese photos being ‘not edited’? I think I know where you’re going, but you’ll have to clarify.

Are all of the Chinese images you’ve seen raw and unedited? 

• Sad 1

On 1/18/2019 at 11:27 AM, third_eye said:

Absolutely, Century Eggs are just so much better, with a slice of pickled ginger and a dash of lemon :yes:

~

Century eggs are great with steamed frog legs on a lotus leaf.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Skulduggery said:

Century eggs are great with steamed frog legs on a lotus leaf.

True, century eggs goes rather well with fish too which is weird ...

~

On 1/16/2019 at 8:49 AM, qxcontinuum said:

:lol: :rofl:

280px-PIA21061-Pluto-DwarfPlanet-XRays-2

You were saying???