Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Imaginarynumber1

Guitar players unite

48 posts in this topic

Imaginarynumber1

I know several others on here are guitar players, but i never see threads about guitars or guitar playing. Figured maybe we could have one to share tips, trucks, favorite songs, techniques, etc.

I've been playing around with a lot of alternate tunings. Open C, open G, whole step down, etc. Makes for a lot of cool riffs. 

• Like 5

Imaginarynumber1

Anything by Bach arraigned for guitar is usually fun, but i especially enjoy playing Jesu, Joy of Man's Desiring.

Also, Toccata and fugue in d minor is another favorite.

Anything by Pink Floyd or Metallica. I learned to play guitar by playing their songs.

• Like 3

OverSword

I used to be a pretty good metal guitarist but for a few years have been working on blues or blues based acid rock.  You know.  Jimi.  There is an Eric Clapton signature series Stratocaster hanging on a wall in a pawnshop I walk past every day on my way home from work.  If it's still there come tax return time I think I'll buy it.

• Like 3

Imaginarynumber1
1 minute ago, OverSword said:

I used to be a pretty good metal guitarist but for a few years have been working on blues or blues based acid rock.  You know.  Jimi.  There is an Eric Clapton signature series Stratocaster hanging on a wall in a pawnshop I walk past every day on my way home from work.  If it's still there come tax return time I think I'll buy it.

The used place by me has a PRS that ive had me eye on for a while...

Though i'll probably end up with one of their higher end esps... love esp.

No ****.. clpaton has a house 10 miles form me. When I was manager of a gas station years ago up in Powell (right near Shawnee Hills where his house is) I actually met him. One of the highlight s of my life.

My ex's bff's father had lived in Shawnee Hills for decades before he moved there. Clapton's property backed up to his. His cat got pregnant ans e took the kittens.Clapton was under the impression, and so were we, that his tom was the father I had no problem with letting him pay for all vet bills for those kittens. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

RoofGardener
7 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

The used place by me has a PRS that ive had me eye on for a while...

Though i'll probably end up with one of their higher end esps... love esp.

No ****.. clpaton has a house 10 miles form me. When I was manager of a gas station years ago up in Powell (right near Shawnee Hills where his house is) I actually met him. One of the highlight s of my life.

My ex's bff's father had lived in Shawnee Hills for decades before he moved there. Clapton's property backed up to his. His cat got pregnant ans e took the kittens.Clapton was under the impression, and so were we, that his tom was the father I had no problem with letting him pay for all vet bills for those kittens. 

Gear4Music are selling one of Will Adlers (Lambs of God) 'distressed'  ESP Warbird custom guitars; a snip at £6300 !! 

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/ESP-Will-Adler-Warbird-Distressed/2G2A?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=114130d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=604910420082&gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i6GzRJBwUzfeTEHe3OouhE2EHrNM0bK69QjrP7ZknFcRbOztiLJSWRoCa14QAvD_BwE

Or if your in an economical mood, Gary Holst (Slayer) is selling his ESP Eclipse in Liquid Metal Lava, for a mere £5200 ? 

And James Hetfield (Metallica) is selling an ESP Iron Cross for a mere £4500 ? 

Edited by RoofGardener
  • Like 4

Imaginarynumber1
1 minute ago, RoofGardener said:

Gear4Music are selling one of Will Adlers (Lambs of God) 'distressed'  ESP Warbird custom guitars; a snip at £6300 !! 

https://www.gear4music.com/Guitar-and-Bass/ESP-Will-Adler-Warbird-Distressed/2G2A?origin=product-ads&campaign=PLA+Shop+-+GENERIC&adgroup=GENERIC&medium=vertical_search&network=google&merchant_id=1279443&product_id=114130d1&product_country=GB&product_partition_id=604910420082&gclid=CjwKCAiAyfvhBRBsEiwAe2t_i6GzRJBwUzfeTEHe3OouhE2EHrNM0bK69QjrP7ZknFcRbOztiLJSWRoCa14QAvD_BwE

Or if your in an economical mood, Gary Holst (Slayer) is selling his ESP Eclipse in Liquid Metal Lava, for a mere £5200 ? 

ugh.. i wish. 

My main an old esp ltd ec-10

After I left mt last band i sold all mt gear. I'm slowly getting back.

• Like 2

OverSword

I can't do Humbuckers anymore.  I know this sounds weird but they're too full.  They lack twang.  If I'm playing metal I break one out but for most of what I'm playing now my Tele is what I need.

• Like 2

Imaginarynumber1
2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I can't do Humbuckers anymore.  I know this sounds weird but they're too full.  They lack twang.  If I'm playing metal I break one out but for most of what I'm playing now my Tele is what I need.

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes a single bridge pickup gets just the sound you want, even with/without amp effects. 

• Like 2

Imaginarynumber1
3 minutes ago, OverSword said:

That said, nothing hammers like some Seymour Duncan 9v's

• Like 2

OverSword
Just now, Imaginarynumber1 said:

I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes a single bridge pickup gets just the sound you want, even with/without amp effects. 

Yeah,  I play with drive less than half way up on a tube amp.  You can get the clean yet dirty combination that way and really hear the organic tones of the guitar.

• Like 1

OverSword
Just now, Imaginarynumber1 said:

That said, nothing hammers like some Seymour Duncan 9v's

I have one on my Kramer Focus 4000.  A real 80's axe with a top of the line stock Floyd Rose bridge

focus4000.jpg

• Like 2

Imaginarynumber1

I loved floyd rose bridges until we played live all the time. The bridge tuning never held up trough travel and the neck lock ouldn't get you back in tune,
Of course, we were cramming all our gear in a van with 5 dudes, but still, we know how it works.

• Like 3

Imaginarynumber1
4 minutes ago, OverSword said:

I have one on my Kramer Focus 4000.  A real 80's axe with a top of the line stock Floyd Rose bridge

focus4000.jpg

And then sometimes it was perfect. ?depended on temp, honestly. 

• Like 1

OverSword
17 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

And then sometimes it was perfect. ?depended on temp, honestly. 

That is the main factor once the strings are stretched.  I pulled the Kramer out a few weeks ago and have been playing it semi-regularly since.  It had been in the case for five or six years.  I loosened the locks, tuned it up, re-locked and it's stayed in since, even dive-bombing the strings till they're just hanging.  It's possible you were playing with the Floyd Rose 2 bridge which don't stay in tune as well.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

Imaginarynumber1
1 minute ago, OverSword said:

That is the main factor once the strings are stretched.  I pulled the Kramer out a few weeks ago and have been playing it semi-regularly since.  It had been in the case for five or six years.  I loosened the locks, tuned it up, re-locked and it's stayed in since, even dive-bombing the strings till they're just hanging.  It's possible you were playing with the Floyd Rose 2 bridge which don't stay in tune as well.

iI've had 4 or 5 guitars withe the rose. Loved it. Just hated it with travel. Granted, we had all our gear in a generic trailer through all kinds of weather...
Overall, lov eth eorse locking bridge over anythibg else, but live love to be able to drop a step or two with taking 25 min of tuning... you know...

• Like 2

OverSword
41 minutes ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

love to be able to drop a step or two with taking 25 min of tuning... you know...

Yeah, that's one drawback.  The other is with the floating bridge when you do a bend you have to bend further to reach the note you're trying to get to.

edit:  And of course the other is you have to be careful resting your hand on the bridge.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1

F3SS

I had a BC Rich Mockingbird for a while with Floyd Rose and I couldn't keep it in tune to save my life. Pretty sure it was user error though. 

I'm a self taught amateur of several years and have been stuck in a rut for a long time. I lack structure bigtime. It's hard to stay focused learning mostly from the internet with so much out there I bounce from one thing to the next woth nobody to keep me on a straight path.

My main is a 72 Gibson LP Deluxe btw.

• Like 3

OverSword

Started learning this. Coming along really well but the issue is that only the first 1/3 of the song has structure. But if I get that down, which I already have really, then the rest will fall right into place with a bunch of feedback and tripping 

OverSword
1 hour ago, F3SS said:

I had a BC Rich Mockingbird for a while with Floyd Rose and I couldn't keep it in tune to save my life. Pretty sure it was user error though. 

I'm a self taught amateur of several years and have been stuck in a rut for a long time. I lack structure bigtime. It's hard to stay focused learning mostly from the internet with so much out there I bounce from one thing to the next woth nobody to keep me on a straight path.

My main is a 72 Gibson LP Deluxe btw.

Here’s some advice for you F3SS, learn the 12 bar blues. There is an app you can download called ChordBank. It’s free but upgrade to the full version is cheap. Get that and go to the minor pentatonic scale in the key of A and learn the positions for that scale all over the neck. Try going to JustinGuitar YouTube channel and go through his basic blues lessons videos. 

• Like 2

F3SS
18 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Here’s some advice for you F3SS, learn the 12 bar blues. There is an app you can download called ChordBank. It’s free but upgrade to the full version is cheap. Get that and go to the minor pentatonic scale in the key of A and learn the positions for that scale all over the neck. Try going to JustinGuitar YouTube channel and go through his basic blues lessons videos. 

Thanks OS. Thats 12BB is one of the thing's ive dabbled with and been sidetracked several times. I know it's important. I can zip through Am pentatonic all day and jam to backing tracks. I know all the starting positions of every other key but can only move forward and backwards a position from them without thinking but if it's not Am I don't move so well past that. The 12 bar blues and locations of blues notes in a scale are high on my list. Ive also had an aha moment on the circle of fifths and chord progressions recently. I've long understood the principle of it but have struggled to get it to click. I will give justin a shot. Im a big fan of Marty Schwartz for learning songs.

Edit; I already have Chord Bank in a slew of apps. It is a good one.

Edited by F3SS
  • Like 1

OverSword

@F3SS if you know the starting point then it’s all the same. I recommended A because it’s so central but E is really cool because of the ease of using open strings. Here is a little thing I did in E

• Like 1

psyche101

I've got several electrics but rarely get them out these days. It's just easier to grab an acoustic. I usually play the Epiphone 1975 Texan, but when I jam with mates I like to get the dobro out. It's a distinct sound that tends to mix in well. Puts high end into the mix. 

You guys onto rising Aussie guitarist Tash Sultana? That young lady is an amazing talent who will go a long way yet I reckon. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

OverSword

Here is a Australian lady I posted a while back 

• Thanks 1

psyche101
12 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Here is a Australian lady I posted a while back 

Wow, I'm surprised that I haven't heard of her seeing as she is signed up. Great voice and talent, and your right, pretty darn cute too. 

Next time you are on YT check out Tash Sultana Jungle. It's done in her bedroom and she goes off. It's just a great clip and song. 

Alex Lahey is another good rising Aussie talent as is Mitch Cullen. 

Inspiring and heart-warming to see the new generation of talent. 

• Thanks 2

F3SS
44 minutes ago, OverSword said:

@F3SS if you know the starting point then it’s all the same. I recommended A because it’s so central but E is really cool because of the ease of using open strings. Here is a little thing I did in E

Yea it's a visualization thing. I have fret numbers burned into my brain for Am and it often interfers with my ability to visualize the shapes. 

Nice jam though. I was digging it. Very Hendrixy.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1