Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Australia's heat wave hits record highs

Still Waters

Australia is sweltering under record-breaking temperatures as an extreme heat wave continues to sweep across the country, causing wildlife to die and fruit to cook from the inside out.

The past four days are in Australia's top ten warmest days on record, the Australian Bureau of Meteorology said in a tweet on Wednesday, with all of the country's eight states and territories affected.

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/16/australia/australia-heat-wave-warnings-intl/index.html

• Like 2
  • Sad 4

tis nice .. I'm loving it personally.. actually looking forward to flying back to work where its going to be 40c+ for the next week and a bit.. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

27 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Mind how you go if you work outdoors!

"More outdoor workers could die if legal obligations to keep them safe in extreme heat stay "vague" and "ambiguous", experts say."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-01-18/heatwave-conditions-could-be-fatal-for-outdoor-workers/10724514

its horrible. i hate summer. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, DingoLingo said:

this is what I am looking forward to when I fly back to work tomorrow :D

http://www.weatherzone.com.au/wa/pilbara/telfer

Sounds awesome. Do you work above ground?

In my much younger years I spent a lot of time shearing sheep throughout south Australia. I remember a summer shearing a little north of Port Augusta when the out side temps were in the mid40s. In the shed was close to 60c. 

Shearing is a pretty big job at the best of times. Big rams don't like to be manhandled. When they are hot and angry then they become monsters.

Glad I grew out of that job.

• Like 5

It persists...

"Dozens of wild horses die of thirst in Australia's heatwave."

Sad reports with even sadder photos.

*snip*

:(

Sorry there are no links.  If you want to read the full report it can be found at the BBC, CNN, ABC.net, The Guardian etc, etc.

Edited by Eldorado
Links removed due to graphic content
  • Sad 2

On 1/20/2019 at 5:08 AM, Captain Risky said:

It's usually pretty miserable here, mainly due to the constant humidity.  We don't get much above 32-35C here but the humidity makes it a breathless kind of heat that is like being in a sauna anytime you're outside an ac space.  The hottest place I've ever been was on the Hoover Dam in Nevada when the temp was about 46C.  That's killing heat.

• Like 2

I honestly though last summer was hotter. 

We have had some hot days but if you keep out of the direct sun from 12 to 2 it's not too bad. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/20/2019 at 9:08 PM, Captain Risky said:

I'm with Dingo. It's not too bad. Everyone is enjoying the beach, the bars and the appropriate apparel is eye catching :w00t:

• Like 2

3 hours ago, psyche101 said:

I'm with Dingo. It's not too bad. Everyone is enjoying the beach, the bars and the appropriate apparel is eye catching :w00t:

Yeah there is that. Not sure my prostate is gonna feel the same in 20 years. 

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, and then said:

It's usually pretty miserable here, mainly due to the constant humidity.  We don't get much above 32-35C here but the humidity makes it a breathless kind of heat that is like being in a sauna anytime you're outside an ac space.  The hottest place I've ever been was on the Hoover Dam in Nevada when the temp was about 46C.  That's killing heat.

Well your describing my home town to a tee. There’s just no getting away from the friggen humidity. Indoors, outdoors aircon or not it’s still sapping. Speaking of dry heat Port Augusta in South Australia had 49.5 degrees yesterday. Poor saps.

• Like 2
  • Sad 3

23 minutes ago, Captain Risky said:

Yeah there is that. Not sure my prostate is gonna feel the same in 20 years. 

I'll give you the tip. 

Next time you go shopping, hang around the freezer section. 

Especially on a hot day. It draws great crowds! :lol:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Australia’s Heat Wave Is Torching the Continent

"Wild horses are not the only animals suffering from the heat wave. Since November, hundreds of dead bats have been falling from the skies in and around Sydney, their brains reportedly boiled by the extreme heat. Nearly one-third the population of an endangered bat species have perished.

“This sort of event has not happened in Australia this far north since European settlement,” Justin Welbergen, an ecologist and president of the Australasian Bat Society, told the BBC."

Full article: https://www.thedailybeast.com/australias-heat-wave-is-torching-the-continent

• Like 1
  • Sad 3

12 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Wild horses are not the only animals suffering from the heat wave. Since November, hundreds of dead bats have been falling from the skies in and around Sydney, their brains reportedly boiled by the extreme heat. Nearly one-third the population of an endangered bat species have perished.

It's heartbreaking that species are being decimated by the heatwave. What a horrific way to die.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1

Fire on the spit today. Could see the smoke from the backyard but not the flames. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.9news.com.au/article/78db349c-8df1-446d-b47c-b22e98499099

I still reckon we have had hotter summers even last year seemed hotter than this year. 

yup its hot :D and looking at a average of 70% humidity.. and yes I am on the surface.. its actually been cooler underground the past week then it has been up here LOL

I have relatives in oz and have been there twice i think Darwin is the hottest place i have ever been to over 42 degrees during the day and at night 36 degrees. When i got to cairns i woke up freezing my balls off and looked at the aircon it was on 25 degrees thats like good summer day in sweden.

On 1/25/2019 at 11:37 AM, psyche101 said:

Yep, with you 100%.  The only problem is the humidity.  I'm not even a big guy in weight but sweat like a pig.

• Like 1

It is pretty nice here in SouthAus at the moment.

Low 30s, had a bit of cloud cover earlier. No real humidity.

Back to work on Thursday though. Topend humidity will be unpleasant.

It is horrible working on the coast line with incredible beaches on both sides which you can never, ever go swimming in.

Irukandji have been terrible this season.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, Black Red Devil said:

Yep, with you 100%.  The only problem is the humidity.  I'm not even a big guy in weight but sweat like a pig.

Yes, it's been high, and really uncomfortable but last year I could hardly sleep all summer because if the heat. 

I was in Northern NSW on Sunday, was a really nice day. 

Being near the ocean helps probably, but I still reckon last year was worse. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, psyche101 said:

Yes, it's been high, and really uncomfortable but last year I could hardly sleep all summer because if the heat. 

I was in Northern NSW on Sunday, was a really nice day. 

Being near the ocean helps probably, but I still reckon last year was worse. 

Last year was OK for me.  The air con in the house is blasting away at full bore.  I reckon I'll drop dead on the spot when I get my next electricity bill.

• Like 1