Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Next hadron collider to be four times larger

UM-Bot

If they cannot learn anymore with what they have maybe... but a lot of things more important need to be solved before spending for a bigger one.

1 hour ago, Imaginarynumber1 said:

Image result for DROOL MEME

Homie, FCC is not "Fried Chicken Cheese", it's "Future Circular Collider" :D

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

If they cannot learn anymore with what they have maybe... but a lot of things more important need to be solved before spending for a bigger one.

In order to learn more about the Higgs-boson, they need a much bigger collider.

One might ask what the big deal is about that Higgs thing, and the deal is, that it answers one very important question:

Why is there something (matter), and not nothing?

In other words, it answers the conundrum of existence!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Erm.. am I the only one reading 'hardon collider' first time round, at first glance?

Oh lord, tell me it isnt so.. :o

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

Or at least the answer will push the inquiry one question further.

Hats off to the Europeans for dreaming big.  Physics has gotten a bit more expensive since Issac Newton's time, but there are people who still think knowing more about the physical universe and how it works is  worth knowing.

• Like 4

It seems curious that the smaller the particle, the bigger the collider ? :unsure2:

46 minutes ago, sci-nerd said:

In order to learn more about the Higgs-boson, they need a much bigger collider.

One might ask what the big deal is about that Higgs thing, and the deal is, that it answers one very important question:

Yeah, it's a big deal, but if we doomed ourself out before... it's for nothing... we are in for a worldwide climate mess, yes we can look at Higgs-Boson but maybe the money can go elsewhere before we need a bigger one.

Thins thing is fantastic... but other stuff need money to.

Edited by Jon the frog

8 minutes ago, Jon the frog said:

Yeah it's a big deal, but if we doomed ourself out before... it's for nothing... we are in for a worldwide climate mess, yes we can look at Higgs-Boson but maybe the money can go elsewhere before we need a bigger one.

On a global economic scale the price for the FCC is insignificant. And it is being made on the only continent that deals responsibly with global warming.

I wouldn't worry.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Maybe this is why we don't see advanced intelligent life in the universe, the natural progression for an advanced civilisation to pursue and build partical colliders to understand the secrets of the universe in which they exist. Maybe the bigger the partical collider the bigger the risk of self annilation. I'm sure the creator(s) of the simulator in which we live have inbuilt a feature so we will never discover the ultimate secrets of the universe. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, aztek said:

who is funding it and what does it cost?

I think they talk about 20 billion pound in the article so 23 billion Euro... probably in reality four time that amount, like any other big project. The 16 miles Cern Hadron collider  cost more than 1 billion a year to operate, some article say 5,5 billion so the big one will cost at least four time that too.

Edited by Jon the frog
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

It seems curious that the smaller the particle, the bigger the collider ? :unsure2:

The smaller the chunks, the more tightly they are bound and the more energy it takes to break them apart. Lucky for us.  we wouldn't want the protons in our glass of stout spontaneously decaying into quarks.  Very bad for the head.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jon the frog said:

Yeah, it's a big deal, but if we doomed ourself out before... it's for nothing... we are in for a worldwide climate mess, yes we can look at Higgs-Boson but maybe the money can go elsewhere before we need a bigger one.

You are right about that.  A lot of things need money. Not everybody even agrees on climate change,  it would be hard to get $2 billion passed in the US, much less $50 billion.  For Europe, it is status, high technology jobs and maybe some amazing discoveries.  Just like the space program, benefits from computer, detector, magnet, and power control developments might pay a lot of benefits in other industries.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevewinn said:

Maybe this is why we don't see advanced intelligent life in the universe, the natural progression for an advanced civilisation to pursue and build partical colliders to understand the secrets of the universe in which they exist. Maybe the bigger the partical collider the bigger the risk of self annilation. I'm sure the creator(s) of the simulator in which we live have inbuilt a feature so we will never discover the ultimate secrets of the universe. 

Can't be too sure.  Maybe it is a test by their programmers to find a self-aware, capable simulation. 

4 hours ago, acute said:

What if I don't want my hadrons collided? :angry:

Eat your peas or no desert for you! <_<

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

Not really. According to the standard model I don't think our level of resolution will get any finer. 

Simply put, it's about acceleration and more detectors for impacts. 

More acceleration, higher energy impacts and with more detection points, it's easier to see and extrapolate the data. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, danydandan said:

Not really. According to the standard model I don't think our level of resolution will get any finer. 

Simply put, it's about acceleration and more detectors for impacts. 

More acceleration, higher energy impacts and with more detection points, it's easier to see and extrapolate the data. 

That's easy for you to say :huh:

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

That's easy for you to say :huh:

Easier, not easy. 

• Like 1

More reasons why we need a larger collider:

[16.25 min. - but only 12 mins about the subject.]

1 minute ago, sci-nerd said:

More reasons why we need a larger collider:

[16.25 min. - but only 12 mins about the subject.]

Might actually be able to test M-Theory hypotheses if it's big enough.

• Like 1