Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Pelosi, Delay State of Union Address

OverSword

House Speaker Nancy Pelosi urged President Trump to delay his State of the Union address—or deliver it in writing—saying unfunded security agencies weren’t equipped to protect the speech during a government shutdown, a concern that administration officials dismissed.

Mrs. Pelosi’s request, made in a letter sent to the president, could prevent Mr. Trump from delivering a traditional prime-time speech to a joint session of Congress in which he is expected to admonish lawmakers over the shutdown. The address would take place on the 39th day of the impasse, which centers on funding for a wall the president wants on the southern border.

Mrs. Pelosi (D., Calif.) said the event would put undue strains on the agencies that oversee security, the U.S. Secret Service and the Department of Homeland Security, which remain unfunded.

Link

I haven't watched a State of the Union Address since the one after 9/11.  I wonder if I'll bother with this one?

Whyever should he? Surely it's in more of a state now than it's ever been.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Link

I haven't watched a State of the Union Address since the one after 9/11.  I wonder if I'll bother with this one?

oh come on, could you resist? It'd be a whole lot funnier than an entire new season of The Simpsons. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

oh come on, could you resist? It'd be a whole lot funnier than an entire new season of The Simpsons. 

I would barely hear a word over my own drunken contributions and criticisms I'm sure.

• Haha 1

Nancy seems determined to cancel the SOTU address.

I wonder why.

Could it be that she knows it is impossible for ALL of the Supreme Court justices to attend (as is customary)?

This RBG thing gets more interesting by the day.

• Thanks 1

The Secret Service is saying this "security" thing is BS and they are ready to handle the speech. Pelosi, amongst others, have been going on vacation with full protection. The Coast Guard, at least in New Jersey, is being taken care of by the local citizenry and are fully operational. Just thought I'd throw that in there. Please read the following link carefully. Trump can give the speech from the Oval Office or the Senate could invite him. He could also issue an order for Congress to convene. 

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/can-the-house-delay-the-state-of-the-union-address

Edited by susieice
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I dont know why any one cares about the SotU addresses anyway. All it ever is is partisan propaganda speeches from either side.

Bunch of presidents bragging about how great they are and what great things they've done, regardless of any factual basis for their rhetoric.

• Like 2

He should rent a stadium and do a live rally.  He should have an entire guest section of the survivors of violence from illegals.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, and then said:

He should rent a stadium and do a live rally.  He should have an entire guest section of the survivors of violence from illegals.

e5eow.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, susieice said:

The Secret Service is saying this "security" thing is BS and they are ready to handle the speech. Pelosi, amongst others, have been going on vacation with full protection. The Coast Guard, at least in New Jersey, is being taken care of by the local citizenry and are fully operational. Just thought I'd throw that in there. Please read the following link carefully. Trump can give the speech from the Oval Office or the Senate could invite him. He could also issue an order for Congress to convene. 

https://constitutioncenter.org/blog/can-the-house-delay-the-state-of-the-union-address

Pelosi already told him he could do it from the White House. It's in the article you just referenced. He could also submit it in writing.

And I'd be a bit worried about security for a normal State of the Union, considering Trump - a President who has spent a full third of his Presidency golfing - hasn't even been able to go a few rounds since the shut down.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I dont know why any one cares about the SotU addresses anyway. All it ever is is partisan propaganda speeches from either side.

Bunch of presidents bragging about how great they are and what great things they've done, regardless of any factual basis for their rhetoric.

They're all playing games. Nothing new there!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Pelosi already told him he could do it from the White House. It's in the article you just quoted. He could also submit it in writing.

And I'd be a bit worried about security for a normal State of the Union, considering Trump - a President who has spent a full third of his Presidency golfing - hasn't even been able to go a few rounds since the shut down.

Why? Because he's been staying at the White House? Everyone else is going on vacation.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Nancy seems determined to cancel the SOTU address.

I wonder why.

Could it be that she knows it is impossible for ALL of the Supreme Court justices to attend (as is customary)?

This RBG thing gets more interesting by the day.

I think you are looking too deeply.  It is a move in the power struggle between Don and Nancy.   The security question probably is BS.  Now the President has to respond.  If he postpones, then Nancy wins and he know it.   If he has it from the oval office, it may not get any more favorably reviews than his last prime time address from there. 

Any speech looks better with a cheering audience. He could hold it at a rally, or at a venue of his choosing where he could invite only Republicans.     Maybe this is what he really wanted; to select the audience. The effect of his speech could be hampered in the House when the audience is full of jeering Democrats.  He has to worry about which one of the new members will pull a Joe Wilson and shout out "you Lie!"

• Like 2

Just now, susieice said:

Why? Because he's been staying at the White House? Everyone else is going on vacation.

What you on about? Who's all going on vacation?

Trump was supposed to spend the holidays in Mara-Lago or whatever and had to cancel due to the shutdown. He's been unable to golf or basically do any of his normal skiving, except binging on Twitter, TV and Wendy's, due to the shutdown.

There are genuine logistical and security concerns regarding the State of the Union. Nancy is no doubt using it for political points, but that doesn't mean she's wrong.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

I think you are looking too deeply.  It is a move in the power struggle between Don and Nancy.   The security question probably is BS.  Now the President has to respond.  If he postpones, then Nancy wins and he know it.   If he has it from the oval office, it may not get any more favorably reviews than his last prime time address from there. 

Any speech looks better with a cheering audience. He could hold it at a rally, or at a venue of his choosing where he could invite only Republicans.     Maybe this is what he really wanted; to select the audience. The effect of his speech could be hampered in the House when the audience is full of jeering Democrats.  He has to worry about which one of the new members will pull a Joe Wilson and shout out "you Lie!"

Could be.  It seems interesting, though, that all of RBG's future engagements have been canceled.  If she's dead, and they are trying to keep a lid on it, canceling the SOTU address makes a lot of sense.  I've heard there are already efforts underway to get "proof of life" confirmation on her.

Nevertheless, it is not up to Nancy Pelosi to cancel the SOTU address since Trump can direct Congress to convene at any time.

Also, a room full of jeering Democrats probably wouldn't faze Trump in the slightest.  He typically feasts on that sort of thing.

18 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

There are genuine logistical and security concerns regarding the State of the Union. Nancy is no doubt using it for political points, but that doesn't mean she's wrong.

Oh come now. Just fill the place up with a bunch a gun tote'n private citizens. Since ya know, more guns makes Mr. Prezzy more safe and all. Darn tootin'. :gun:

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Confused 1

5 minutes ago, aztek said:

lmao, pelosi is not in a position to tell president what to do, she need to brush up on DC food chain, she is below him.

The Speaker of the House isn't below the President. She's part of a completely separate branch of government. We have checks and balances for a reason. He isn't a king.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

24 minutes ago, and then said:

He should rent a stadium and do a live rally. 

He could.  I was thinking similar thoughts.  If it is open to the public though, Chuck and Nancy  might do the same with their rebuttal.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, ExpandMyMind said:

Pelosi already told him he could do it from the White House. It's in the article you just referenced. He could also submit it in writing.

A full third of his Presidency?  A round of golf takes around 3.5 hours, so I'll go with 4 hours per round. That means he has played 2 rounds a day (8 hours = 1/3 of a day) while in office. You are lying.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

The Speaker of the House isn't below the President. She's part of a completely separate branch of government. We have checks and balances for a reason. He isn't a king.

I think Aquila is right, neither the Supreme Court nor Congress is subordinate to the President.  

The House and Senate have to agree in order to have a joint session and invite the President to deliver his report in person.  Without the House, there cant be a resolution to hold a joint session.  The report doesn't have to be a live speech to Congress.  It can be in writing, on media, or maybe as and then suggests, for the first time at a rally. 

The President can convene one or both houses,  but I think Nancy Pelosi can postpone the invitation from the House, then as you say, the president can play his card and summon them.   

On the second part I disagree with you.   The President does not like protesters at his rally.  In addition, it is bad optics.   You would be one of the first to tell me how much control the MSM has.  Imagine full coverage of 100 or more Congressmen chanting "Lock him up" or "Impeach!"  to a mass audience both in the US and around the world.  It is good for the base, but the other 55% in the US and many across the rest of the world would see it as weakness.  Not a good picture, a president getting interrupted by Congressmen standing up and shouting "You lie!"   Especially if the shutdown is still in effect.   It is better for the President to speak in an environment he can control.

46 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Nevertheless, it is not up to Nancy Pelosi to cancel the SOTU address since Trump can direct Congress to convene at any time.

Also, a room full of jeering Democrats probably wouldn't faze Trump in the slightest.  He typically feasts on that sort of thing.

https://history.house.gov/Institution/SOTU/State-of-the-Union/

Origins and Authorization

The formal basis for the State of the Union Address is from the U.S. Constitution:

• The President “shall from time to time give to the Congress Information of the State of the Union, and recommend to their Consideration such measures as he shall judge necessary and expedient.” Article II, Section 3, Clause 1.

The constitutionally mandated presidential address has gone through a few name changes:

• It was formally known as the Annual Message from 1790 to 1946.
  • It began to be informally called the "state of the Union" message/address from 1942 to 1946.
  • Since 1947 it has officially been known as the State of the Union Address.

Earlier Annual Messages of the President included agency budget requests and general reports on the health of the economy. During the 20th century, Congress required more-specialized reports on these two aspects, separate from the Annual Message.

• Budget Message, required by the National Budget and Accounting Act of 1921 (42 Stat. 20) to be delivered to Congress no more than two weeks after Congress convenes in January.
  • Economic Report, required by the Employment Act of 1946 (60 Stat. 23), with a flexible delivery date.
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Trump cancels Nancy Pelosi's junket to Brussels, Egypt, and Afghanistan:

Interesting.  Who has the next move?

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, hacktorp said:

Trump cancels Nancy Pelosi's junket to Brussels, Egypt, and Afghanistan:

Haha...Trump is better at this stuff than she is.

What?  That's not real is it?  Link?

Edit to add: looks like it was signed with a sharpie.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 2