Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Unexplained Rectangular light

pannika

Hi,

I was just wondering if anyone can maybe explain seeing unusual, unexplained flashes of light inside the house. I usually see them as if at the corner of my eye in broad daylight , or like something flashed by me very quickly, it only happens inside the house. Sometimes these flashes are bigger, other times they're tiny and super quick. 

Today I saw another very unusual light-thing. I was sitting at a table which overlooks the hallway and I saw this very bright rectangular light appear at the top of the wall opposite me, it almost resembled a window, because it seemed to have like a stripe across it like casement windows would have and it appeared for about 2 seconds and disappeared. It was very bright and definitely not at the corner of my eye, I was looking straight at it. First I thought there must be a logical explanation for it, but I can't seem to find one, because there is no way it could've been a reflection of something. The wall is part of the hallway, where there's no windows and there's nothing reflective anywhere around to be able to create such a reflection upon it. Can anyone explain any of this? 

• Thanks 1

Can anyone else see these things or do you live alone?

I live with my husband and cat, I'm at home during daytime, so I'm the only one in the house then. However my husband says he's seen dark shapes instead of my light flashes moving around sometimes when he's home, but he decides to just ignore them. 

I don't know if this is relevant or related, but he also freaked out the other night coz he swears he saw a black cat sitting and staring at him but as a reflection on the glass door, he freaked because he realized our cat was playing with me at the other end of the room.

7 hours ago, pannika said:

I live with my husband and cat, I'm at home during daytime, so I'm the only one in the house then. However my husband says he's seen dark shapes instead of my light flashes moving around sometimes when he's home, but he decides to just ignore them. 

I don't know if this is relevant or related, but he also freaked out the other night coz he swears he saw a black cat sitting and staring at him but as a reflection on the glass door, he freaked because he realized our cat was playing with me at the other end of the room.

OK, the fact that another person is experiencing weirdness too in the same home does increase the likelihood something paranormal could be behind this.

How are your eyes physically? Perhaps a physical eye condition could explain these odd light sightings too??

Seeing flashes of light is not something very common even in the field of the paranormal and I am not sure what they could be, sorry. Dark darting figures like your husband sees in the periphery are something often reported.

I don't know haw handy you are with the internet but if it was me I'd search the internet to see if I could find out anything on this unexplained rectangular light experience.

How is your oxygen absorbtion rate? This will cause light flashes. Usually sparkles, but sometimes single light spots. Just trying to eliminate the normal first.

Edited by Hankenhunter
  • Like 1

On 17/01/2019 at 9:50 PM, pannika said:

I usually see them as if at the corner of my eye in broad daylight

see an optometrist.. when said 'see'= i wasn't being sarcastic 

• Like 1

@pannika Seeing light flashes out the corner of your eye could mean that you're at risk of retinal detachment (or other problem). Make an appointment with an ophthalmologist, as has already been suggested, to ensure your eyes are at optimal health. Some migraine sufferers also see flashes of light, but both eyes are typically affected. 

As for the other types of lights you're seeing, the explanation is most likely a mundane one and it's easy enough to track a light source.

Your husband's experiences are also easily explained. Our brains have a way of creating illusions, especially when we are tired. It's basically a trick of the eye thing, whereby you'll see something out of the corner of your eye, you turn to look, your brain fills in the gap, and suddenly you'll see something (like the cat your husband saw) for a few seconds before it vanishes. It's a physiological, not paranormal, thing. It happens to everyone.

Ok, thank you everyone for your responses, I didn't expect I'd get so many! My eyesight is normal though, I've read up on retinal detachment since a couple of you suggested eye problems, I'm quite young for that to have happened to my eyes (says people over 40 more likely) and haven't had any of the possible causes or risk factors associated with it, but I should go again just to make sure I'm ok. 

I just needed some reassurance that it's rather unlikely any of this is paranormal. So thanks!

• Like 1