Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gillette Feminist Commercial Controversy

spartan max2

41 minutes ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

News flash: The vast majority of women don't like being objectified, or approached by random men on the street because most men don’t approach women with respect; they approach with sexual entitlement. And even if that is not the case, what you need to understand is that most women have experienced or heard stories of times when men have been sexually or verbally violent in those kinds of encounters. So that guy in the ad may have been all kinds of decent, but the woman has no way of knowing that. For all she knows that casual hello could turn into her worst possible nightmare.

Now we get to the reason you like the ad

Because you DO see the behaviors in the ad as a thing the majority of males do. Just like the ad portrays, which is exactly why men are upset. 

Edited by spartan max2
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

Really? You just proved that you are.

if this is what you honestly think then there within lies your problem

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Kittens Are Jerks said:

And why exactly would focusing on just one type of abuse be more palatable? Frankly, you're sucking and blowing at this point. What you suggested is exactly what Gillette did, only it covered a broader spectrum of abuse. They have also promised to donate one million dollars a year, for three years, to non-profit organisations with programs deigned to inspire and educate men to become role models for the next generation.

As for your completely irrelevant example of women sexualising themselves, what you fail to understand is that there is absolutely is no female equivalent of the ways that toxic  masculinity enables abuse, violence and domination. None whatsoever. 

I applaud Gillette for doing that fundraising, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention, I had no idea they were doing that, and I hope it benefits a lot of youth out there who need male influence. 

I'm not sure what you mean by me "sucking and blowing" but my point about abuse was that if Gillette had truly wanted to bring awareness to abuse and not ride the social justice train, they would focus on something that isn't harmful to half their customer base. Something that could be backed up by facts, like for example, the fact that both men and women can be victims of abuse.  

And what you fail to understand is that there is a lot of toxic behavior from women too, and if it was called out the way gillette did to men, so many would be in an uproar.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Just now, spartan max2 said:

Now we get to the reason you like the ad

Because you DO see the behaviors in the ad as a thing the majority of males do. 

Yes, I have seen the behaviours highlighted in the ad, as have many women who have watched it, that's why it has resonated with so many. As far as my personal experiences go, however, I've never been approached on the street, nor have I had any bad encounters with men. Men who have approached me have done so in appropriate environments and in a manner that was both polite and respectful. I've not once been abused or harassed in any way, nor have I ever been in a situation where I was frightened or uncomfortable.

Just the same, I know what kinds of behaviours are appropriate and what kinds are not. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

21 minutes ago, Careful_perspective said:

And what you fail to understand is that there is a lot of toxic behavior from women too, and if it was called out the way gillette did to men, so many would be in an uproar.

That is true, of course, but that was never going to be the message or theme of this commercial.  "toxic male". That is what they wanted to deliver.

1 hour ago, Careful_perspective said:

I applaud Gillette for doing that fundraising, and I thank you for bringing it to my attention, I had no idea they were doing that, and I hope it benefits a lot of youth out there who need male influence. 

I'm not sure what you mean by me "sucking and blowing" but my point about abuse was that if Gillette had truly wanted to bring awareness to abuse and not ride the social justice train, they would focus on something that isn't harmful to half their customer base. Something that could be backed up by facts, like for example, the fact that both men and women can be victims of abuse.  

The term 'sucking and blowing' refers to having contradictory viewpoints.

You state, on the one hand, that Gillette should not have brought awareness to the abuses they highlighted so as not to 'put down their customer base', and then on the other, you suggest that they should have perhaps focused on just one specific form of abuse instead. If men are going to feel offended in the one instance, they will be just as offended in the other. Hurling some of the blame at women won't necessarily make the ad that much more palatable.

But you really don't know Gillette's target market, do you.

Their target market isn't the men who view the ad as an attack on their masculinity, but, rather, it's those men who don't. They're also targeting women as they have a great deal of purchasing power. So Gillette's not 'harming' their customer base, they're building on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

That is true, of course, but that was never going to be the message or theme of this commercial.  "toxic male". That is what they wanted to deliver.

No. It was pretty simply, "Don't be a dick".

• Like 5

The only grouse I have is that they said, "Some men".

I'd argue that most men agree.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Dejarma said:

i'd suggest you give it a rest & show respect to the 99.9999999% of men on this planet you <do not know>

Well women do have some ground for being concerned about stranger's intentions.  

https://www.forensicmag.com/news/2018/11/most-women-killed-partners-or-family-global-homicide-report-says

Some 87,000 women and girls were victims of homicide last year. Experienced detectives worldwide know: look to the husband or lover first.

A new “Global Study on Homicide” published by the United Nations confirms a statistical backing for that first avenue of inquiry. A majority of those 87,000 women and girls were killed by their intimate partners or members of their own family—translating to roughly 137 killed by “loved ones” every single day.

“While the vast majority of homicide victims are men, killed by strangers, women are far more likely to die at the hands of someone they know,” according to the report. “Women killed by intimate partners or family account for 58 percent of all female homicide victims reported globally last year, and little progress has been made in preventing such murders.”

Fifty-eight percent of those women killed last year, about 50,000, were killed by family members or intimate partners, according to the report.

More than a third of the victims overall (30,000) were killed “purely by their intimate partners,” the report recounts. That rate is about 82 per day across the globe. (Men in intimate-partner killings account for just 18 percent of the victims—with women making up the vast majority, at 82 percent.)

https://ncadv.org/statistics

DID YOU KNOW?  In the United States, an average of 20 people experience intimate partner physical violence every minute. This equates to more than 10 million abuse victims annually.1  1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men experience severe intimate partner physical violence, intimate partner contact sexual violence, and/or intimate partner stalking with impacts such as injury, fearfulness, posttraumatic stress disorder, use of victim services, contraction of sexually transmitted diseases, etc. 2 This is commonly considered “domestic violence”. o 1 in 3 women and 1 in 4 men have experienced some form of physical violence by an intimate partner. This includes a range of behaviors and in some cases might not be considered “domestic violence”. 3 o 1 in 7 women and 1 in 25 men have been injured by an intimate partner.4 o 1 in 10 women have been raped by an intimate partner. Data is unavailable on male victims.5 o 1 in 7 women and 1 in 18 men have been stalked. Stalking causes the target to fear she/he/they or someone close to her/him/them will be harmed or killed.6  On a typical day, domestic violence hotlines nationwide receive over 20,000 calls.7  An abuser’s access to a firearm increases the risk of intimate partner femicide by 400%. 8  Intimate partner violence accounts for 15% of all violent crime.9  Intimate partner violence is most common against women between the ages of 18-24.10  19% of intimate partner violence involves a weapon.11

SEXUAL ASSAULT  1 in 5 women and 1 in 59 men in the United States is raped during his/her lifetime.12  9.4% of women in the United States experience intimate partner sexual assault in their lifetimes. 13 STALKING  19.3 million women and 5.1 million men in the United States have been stalked.14  66.2% of female stalking victims reported stalking by a current or former intimate partner.15

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Likely Guy said:

No. It was pretty simply, "Don't be a dick".

Really?  Is that the message you got from the one constant thing throughout the commercial where the gang of thug kids are chasing the wimpy kid through each scene in order to beat the crap out of him? At the beginning when the men are looking with the empty stare of PTSD into the mirror the gang chases the kid and then when the boy is crying into his Mom's bosom and they chase him through and then the black guy keeping the white guy from talking to an attractive woman on the street and they chase him through to kick his ass and then they have the thousands of slobs barbecuing and excusing bad behavior with an expression from a different era and so on.  If what you think was the message I think someone should told them to have a Dad teaching his son how to shave and say to his son, now you're growing up, don't be a dick.

Edited by OverSword

10 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

Some 87,000 women and girls were victims of homicide last year. Experienced detectives worldwide know: look to the husband or lover first.

Yeah, they do the same when men are killed. Whenever someone is murdered and they don't know who did it they investigate the spouse first regardless of gender. 

10 hours ago, Tatetopa said:

1 in 4 women and 1 in 9 men experience severe intimate partner physical violence

That's what is reported but they suspect most wife to husband abuse goes unreported.  I can honestly say I was the victim in a violent relationship with an emotionally unstable woman.  Never got reported because I know what happens when the police come to a domestic violence scene, the man either gets taken to jail or the man gets instructed to sleep somewhere else for the night.

Edited by OverSword
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Really?  Is that the message you got from the one constant thing throughout the commercial where the gang of thug kids are chasing the wimpy kid through each scene in order to beat the crap out of him? At the beginning when the men are looking with the empty stare of PTSD into the mirror the gang chases the kid and then when the boy is crying into his Mom's bosom and they chase him through and then the black guy keeping the white guy from talking to an attractive woman on the street and they chase him through to kick his ass and then they have the thousands of slobs barbecuing and excusing bad behavior with an expression from a different era and so on.

Apparently you missed the last part of the commercial.

Just now, Likely Guy said:

Apparently you missed the last part of the commercial.

Apparently you missed the rest of the commercial.

• Haha 1

Bit slow to the party here so excuse me if these have already been answered elsewhere.

So has trevor Noah had any sort of repercussions for inciting violence against a minor?

Were the protesters arrested for hate speech?

Old guy arrested for assault? Aggressively banging a drum in someone's face at that distance could easily be classed as assault. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, likwidlite said:

Bit slow to the party here so excuse me if these have already been answered elsewhere.

So has trevor Noah had any sort of repercussions for inciting violence against a minor?

Old guy arrested for assault? Aggressively banging a drum in someone's face at that distance could easily be classed as assault. 

they attacked white males, it is not a crime nowadays, it's encuraged, if the kid was any color but white  there sure would be arrests

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, aztek said:

they attacked white males, it is not a crime nowadays, it's encuraged, if the kid was any color but white  there sure would be arrests

Sad but true.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, likwidlite said:

https://www.kentucky.com/news/state/article225504550.html

McMurtry is with the law firm of Hemmer Defrank Wessels and has practiced law in Greater Cincinnati since 1991. He said a team of seven lawyers has been working full-time to review the media accounts of what happened.

This week they have prepared documentation preservation letters addressed to organizations and individuals they believe may have defamed or libeled Nick with false reporting, McMurtry said.

McMurtry said the following organizations and people are those who can expect to receive the letters, which were all sent by the close of business on Friday.

• The Washington Post

• The New York Times

• Cable News Network, Inc. (CNN)

• The Guardian

• National Public Radio

• TMZ

• Atlantic Media Inc.

• Capitol Hill Publishing Corp.

• Diocese of Covington

• Diocese of Lexington

• Archdiocese of Louisville

• Diocese of Baltimore

• Ana Cabrera

• Sara Sidner

• Erin Burnett

• S.E. Cupp

• Elliot C. McLaughlin

• Amanda Watts

• Emanuella Grinberg

• Michelle Boorstein

• Cleve R. Wootson Jr.

• Antonio Olivo

• Joe Heim

• Michael E. Miller

• Eli Rosenberg

• Isaac Stanley-Becker

• Kristine Phillips

• Sarah Mervosh

• Emily S. Rueb

• Maggie Haberman

• David Brooks

• Shannon Doyne

• Kurt Eichenwald

• Andrea Mitchell

• Savannah Guthrie

• Joy Reid

• Chuck Todd

• Noah Berlatsky

• Elisha Fieldstadt

• Eun Kyung Kim

• HBO

• Bill Maher

• Warner Media

• Conde Nast

• GQ

• Heavy.com

• The Hill

• The Atlantic

• Bustle.com

• Ilhan Omar

• Elizabeth Warren

• Kathy Griffin

• Alyssa Milano

• Jim Carrey

•  
  • Like 5

Don't suppose those kids will have to worry about cash flow for the rest of their lives. Hope these kid rinse them for everything they can, the small bits of news I've seen on it had no qualms in attempting to destroy their lives. Live by the sword and all that. 

Any official apologies? I guess admitting fault lines them up for the law suits. 

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter/news/gillette-dumps-campaign-against-toxic-masculinity-after-losing-billions-0e926i-34keAutm-NEWRjA/

Procter & Gamble reported a net loss of $5.24 billion following an $8 billion write-down.

Boston, MA – Gillette has announced that it is “shifting the spotlight” of its advertising campaign, after backlash following their recent progressive ads about various social issues contributed to an $8 billion write-down for parent company Procter & Gamble.

The 118-year-old razor company tackled the issue of “toxic masculinity” in January, when it released an ad that showcased the negative stereotypes of traditional masculinity.

The ad depicted men fighting, bullying, and harassing and groping women, while an endless line of men standing shoulder-to-shoulder behind grills blew off their behavior while repeating the mantra, “Boys will be boys.”

“’Boys will be boys?’” the company tweeted. “Isn’t it time we stopped excusing bad behavior?"

“Is this the best a man can get?” the narrator said in the ad, before it credited the #MeToo movement for taking a stand against “toxic masculinity.”

Edited by South Alabam
  • Like 3

On 8/25/2019 at 4:41 PM, South Alabam said:

https://defensemaven.io/bluelivesmatter/news/gillette-dumps-campaign-against-toxic-masculinity-after-losing-billions-0e926i-34keAutm-NEWRjA/

Procter & Gamble reported a net loss of $5.24 billion following an $8 billion write-down.

Boston, MA – Gillette has announced that it is “shifting the spotlight” of its advertising campaign, after backlash following their recent progressive ads about various social issues contributed to an $8 billion write-down for parent company Procter & Gamble.

The 118-year-old razor company tackled the issue of “toxic masculinity” in January, when it released an ad that showcased the negative stereotypes of traditional masculinity.

The ad depicted men fighting, bullying, and harassing and groping women, while an endless line of men standing shoulder-to-shoulder behind grills blew off their behavior while repeating the mantra, “Boys will be boys.”

“’Boys will be boys?’” the company tweeted. “Isn’t it time we stopped excusing bad behavior?"

“Is this the best a man can get?” the narrator said in the ad, before it credited the #MeToo movement for taking a stand against “toxic masculinity.”

I saw this too.

They aren't officially blaming the ad but I'm sure it had an effect lol

• Haha 1