Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gillette Feminist Commercial Controversy

spartan max2

30 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

I genuinely don't see what all the fuss is about

Of course not. You’re young enough that you don’t remember a time when the toughest guy in the movie wasn’t a woman. It’s likely that you have a hard time differentiating between masculinity and toxic masculinity. No insult intended PC brainwashing is effective when it’s been shoved down your throat since childhood.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 2

39 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

Teaching young boys that certain negative character traits (such as: never be a victim, never show any weakness, suppress your emotions, encouraging violence, empathy and compassion are 'unmanly', etc.) are what it means to 'be a man' is psychologically unhealthy and unrealistic.

You think males are the only ones victim to that?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, OverSword said:

Of course not. You’re young enough that you don’t remember a time when the toughest guy in the movie wasn’t a woman. It’s likely that you have a hard time differentiating between masculinity and toxic masculinity. No insult intended PC brainwashing is effective when it’s been shoved down your throat since childhood.

Uh, you're the one failing to differentiate masculinity with toxic masculinity. :huh: I mean you're all complaining about this ad as if it's against all men when it's clearly not.

• Like 1

In my experience, any person who identifies strongly with their gender, is apt to be a ding-dong. The fact that it automatically discounts or undervalues half of humanity, tells you all you need to know about that attitude.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

No. Your point? :huh:

Of course you don't. I was taught not to be a victim, never show weakness and suppress my emotions. I have no clue where you came up with the encouraging violence crap or empathy and compassion being "unmanly".

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 3

21 minutes ago, Michelle said:

Of course you don't. I was taught not to be a victim, never show weakness and suppress my emotions. I have no clue where you came up with the encouraging violence crap or empathy and compassion being "unmanly".

And that is inherently destructive. Again, I have no idea where you're going with this.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Aquila King said:

And that is inherently destructive. Again, I have no idea where you're going with this.

I know...it is sad you can't comprehend the plight of a small girl either. *sigh*.

If one didn't know better, it would be a sure sign of a Misogynist

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

What can we infer from the fact that the word "misogynist" is in common use, but "misandrist" is relatively unused.

• Like 3

Not sure what the deal is, really.

This Gillette ad encourages men to act like true gentlemen; not some annoying, macho douchebag. You know, the type that claims to represent masculanity..

Edited by Clockwork_Spirit
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Earl.Of.Trumps said:

@bee  I just found out the other day, Proctor & Gamble, a former US mega company, is now based in Nairobi, Kenya. But money is money! and they do promote.

As Big Jim said their headquarters are in Cincinnati... but it's a mega huge global corporation with locations
all over the world.. maybe they opened a new one in Kenya recently....?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, OverSword said:

Funny you say that. I remember back in the 70’s rumor was that the founders of Proctor and Gamble were satanist and their logo was a magic symbol. I’m on a phone so don’t know how to link to an image but you can google proctor and gamble moon and stars logo to see it

thanks

the plot thickens..... :) 

"The Church of Satan denies being supported by Proctor & Gamble"

:unsure2:

and of course the Church of Satan would never lie.... ^_^ 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Procter_%26_Gamble

220px-P%26G_logo.jpg

The company received unwanted media publicity in the 1980s due to rumors, spread largely by Amway distributors, that the moon-and-stars logo was a satanic symbol. The accusation was based on a particular passage in the Bible, specifically Revelation 12:1, which states: "And there appeared a great wonder in heaven; a woman clothed with the sun, the moon under her feet and upon her head a crown of 12 stars." P&G's logo consisted of a man's face on the moon surrounded by 13 stars. Some claimed that the logo was a mockery of the heavenly symbol alluded to in the aforementioned verse, thus construing the logo to be satanic. Where the flowing beard meets the surrounding circle, three curls were said to be a mirror image of the number 666, or the reflected number of the beast. At the top and bottom, the hair curls in on itself and was said to be the two horns like those of a ram. The moon-and-stars logo was discontinued in 1985 in a failed attempt to quash the rumors.[71]

These interpretations have been denied by company officials and no evidence linking the company to the Church of Satan or any other occult organization has ever been presented. The company unsuccessfully sued Amway from 1995 to 2003 over rumors forwarded through a company voice-mail system in 1995. In 2007, the company successfully sued individual Amway distributors for reviving and propagating the false rumors.[72] The Church of Satan denies being supported by Procter & Gamble.[73]

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Michelle said:

I know...it is sad you can't comprehend the plight of a small girl either. *sigh*.

If one didn't know better, it would be a sure sign of a Misogynist

Oh that's hilarious! :lol:

You don't like the topic of toxic masculinity being brought up, so you pull a classic whataboutism in regards to women (which has absoluteky nothing to do with the topic at hand), and when I don't jump on your distraction bandwagon I'm called a misogynist. :rolleyes:

I know people type lol all the time, but I am literally laughing out loud at that!! :lol:

Simply focusing on and addressing the issue of toxic masculinity does not in any way detract from any other issue out there. It's like if you were to feed the hungry in America and I come back with "Well whatabout hungry people in Africa!?" No, the fact that we're currently talking about starving people in America doesnt somehow detract from those starving in Africa. Same goes for this. Just cause we're focusing on the issue of toxic masculinity does not detract from the real issues women face as well.

Although I'm pretty certain you know this, and are simply responding this way cause you were triggered by some buzz words you don't like. :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Laugh on, comfy little man...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

5 hours ago, Big Jim said:

I hope this isn't the beginning of a trend.  I hate to think of the ads we might see from DeWalt, Budweiser, Ford, Weber, etc.  This could suck the fun out of a whole range of manly toys.

lol..... once upon a time  advertisers built whole campaigns around the idea that 'sex sells'

but that is being routed out by the new Social Engineering style stuff...

Like the old Cadbury Flake adverts.... (don't know if you had them in the US)

Nowadays I expect they would have to have a gender neutral person breaking it up into pieces
putting it on a plate and passing it to friends at an Environmental meeting ....

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Aquila King said:

Again, I don't see what the big fuss is about. If a company starts making adds about anti-bullying or feeding the hungry or helping the homeless or whatever, it's clear their primary goal is most likely just to get more people to buy their product by playing off people's sympathy for whatever issue it is they're advertising about. However that doesn't negate the validity of the issues they supposedly run the ads on.

Teaching young boys that certain negative character traits (such as: never be a victim, never show any weakness, suppress your emotions, encouraging violence, empathy and compassion are 'unmanly', etc.) are what it means to 'be a man' is psychologically unhealthy and unrealistic.

Toxic Masculinity does NOT mean 'all men are toxic', it means that certain character traits often associated with masculinity are not actually masculine, they're just hateful and inconsiderate. Why would anyone be against that?

There was a time when boys used to learn the consequences of a punch when they were about five years old; and, not sometime after they started using alcohol.  Women never dropped the f-bomb; and men never dropped the c-bomb in front of woman. 

Men would come to know the cut-of-your-jib over a few beers, a couple of games of pool and the game on the big screen.  It what used to be known as 'secret mens business'. Men talk should to shoulder and women face to face.

Rapists and wife-beaters have been ostracised by men for as long as I can remember.

It's obvious that #notallmen shouldn't be needed as a defence.  It lowers the bar.  The problem is most men wouldn't know anyone that the Gillette advertisement is aimed at.

Edited by Golden Duck
  • Like 1

funny how this Gillette advert comes at a time when it's very fashionable for men to grow a beard..
and facial hair is an outward display of masculinity... especially  a beard...

it's a bit like having a beard is a personal protest against the social engineering -

and at the same time I expect the sale of razors have gone down... so perhaps Proctor & Gamble
are doing a two pronged attack - to promote the gender and racial agenda of Globalism and get
their sales back up !!

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, bee said:

funny how this Gillette advert comes at a time when it's very fashionable for men to grow a beard..

it's a bit like having a beard is a personal protest against the social engineering -

and at the same time I expect the sale of razors have gone down... so perhaps Proctor & Gamble
are doing a two pronged attack - to promote the gender and racial agenda of Globalism and get
their sales back up !!

Check it out bee, I've had a beard for 50 years and I haven't bought many razors.  But, today's beards are different.  They are hipster beards.  There is a whole line of men's grooming accessories that didn't exist even 20 years ago.  There is beard wax and beard conditioner, and things they refer to as "product".  Probably even a special dandruff shampoo  for beards. There are colognes designed specifically for beards and a whole host of different types of beard trimmers.   The male grooming industry is booming.  If they are smart, the folks at Gillette and Proctor and Gamble are into more than razors.   I have half considered shaving  so I wouldn't be mistaken for trendy,  but my wife said not to worry.  Even with a beard, nobody would pick me out as trendy she said.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 5

2 minutes ago, Tatetopa said:

Check it out bee, I've had a beard for 50 years and I haven't bought many razors.  But, today's beards are different.  They are hipster beards.  There is a whole line of men's grooming accessories that didn't exist even 20 years ago.  There is beard wax and beard conditioner, and things they refer to as "product".  Probably even a special dandruff shampoo  for beards. There are colognes designed specifically for beards and a whole host of different types of beard trimmers.   The male grooming industry is booming.  If they are smart, the folks at Gillette and Proctor and Gamble are into more than razors.   I have half considered shaving  so I wouldn't be mistaken for trendy,  but my wife said not to worry.  Even with a beard, nobody would pick me out as trendy she said.

:D

okey dokey... I take your point about the male grooming industry booming....

Gillette (Proctor & Gamble) must be making money from 'hipster beard' wearing men...
as well as the clean shaven.. 

but there is still the Social Engineering aspect of the ad...

Stefan Molyneux shares a searing and brilliant in depth analysis...

6 hours ago, bee said:

As Big Jim said their headquarters are in Cincinnati... but it's a mega huge global corporation with locations
all over the world.. maybe they opened a new one in Kenya recently....?

P & G Nairobi     "Procter & Gamble (E A) Ltd is located in Nairobi, Kenya. Company is working in Advertising business activities."

and @bigjim  too.     The article I read the other day (Terrorist attack in Nairobi by Somalis) talked about P&G like it was the main headquarters. And it might be if it is a separate subsidiary. In other words, P&G <> P&G Nairobi. two different companies. (guessing)

Edited by Earl.Of.Trumps

5 hours ago, bee said:

their sales back up !!

Well, yah, and I suspect that Gillette wants to push is the concept of the clean shaven femm-man.  It helps sales :wacko:

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Arbenol said:

If you don't like the message, so what?

So what indeed.  I have been using gillette razors elusively since I first started shaving in 1979.  I will never buy another.  That is so what.