Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Round Earth vs flat Earth

UM-Bot

Last night's Lunar eclipse provided evidence for anyone to see, with their own eyes, that the Earth is spherical, not flat. The curved shadow of the Earth could be seen extending across the Moon. The same curved shadow could be seen from widely separated parts of the Earth, at the same time.

On 21/01/2019 at 7:34 PM, Goddess of the Mist said:

Interesting video. I think it is distrust in Nasa, our governments, media, etc. that has fueled some of these flat earth movements.  Combine that with when we learn that much of the history we've learned in school was either incomplete or inaccurate.  Also, I think to some people, this just feels right.  It might be easier to believe we are on a flat earth versus a spinning ball.  I think too that some people just like the idea of it, and that it's fun to think about.  You see that these are the people who believe in a dome over the entire earth, too.  It's a nice thought and not as scary as thinking that we're just hurtling through space...maybe.  

Let's deconstruct this shall we. Please note that I am not assuming that this is what you personally believe.

I think it is distrust in Nasa,

This is pretty much constructed out of whole cloth. There is zero reason to believe that Nasa should be "distrusted" other than the completely debunked "fake moon landings" nonsense.

Combine that with when we learn that much of the history we've learned in school was either incomplete or inaccurate.

ALL knowledge, at all times in our history, will be "incomplete and inaccurate". All of it. We are never going to have a complete or entirely accurate view of reality. To say that because we don't know everything that anything is up for grabs is complete nonsense. 

It might be easier to believe we are on a flat earth versus a spinning ball.

If you completely ignore some pretty easy to access and understand evidence then, yeah, sure.

I think too that some people just like the idea of it, and that it's fun to think about.

This is where I think it takes a bit more of a sinister turn. I think its a form of intellectual nihilism. If you take the shape of the earth off the table then anything is up for grabs.

You see that these are the people who believe in a dome over the entire earth, too.  It's a nice thought and not as scary as thinking that we're just hurtling through space...maybe.  

Well, science doesn't care what people want to be true - its one of its strengths.

• Thanks 1

Some people are highly suggestible

The Flat Earth Society was originally a spoof.  A joke.   Then the internet came along ......    Some highly suggestible people saw it, took it for real (it's on the internet, it must be true ....), and, with an innate distrust of "authority" then automatically refuted any suggestion they were wrong.

Chemtrails is another example of the same thing.

And once such people are convinced of something, any attempt to dissuade them of their beliefs only acts to reinforce them.  

Oh, and some people are just very simple or very stupid, as well.

• Like 1