Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Making the Internet more polite

Eldorado

On the Internet, civility is a lost art. Anyone who has spent more than a few minutes on social media will know that the way people talk to each other online needs a lot of work. In this age of digital conversation with often nameless, faceless interlocutors, politeness is often forgotten.  

Now the world’s most popular gaming site for children hopes to change this, by catching its young users before they even send their first Tweet. Roblox plans to reward them for being nice to each other, in the hope that they learn early on that there is another human on the other end of their computer screen chats.

Full article: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2019/01/18/meet-silicon-valley-tech-company-trying-make-internet-polite/

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Lmao I've met plenty of female's online and they are all pretty chill.Most toxic interactions come from jack's who are jerks in real life regardless or people on competitive games when they get triggered.I play overwatch ranked a lot I quit because blizzard tried solving this Fake toxicity is even worse When people try to be nice but are still toxic is even worse when you get what they are saying.

Most people I met that bully online usually get harrased a lot One person Tried bullying me on my twitter and responded to hate from other people a few minutes after it happened Really the best way to deal with this problem is just to have people learn to deal with toxicity no matter what you do some one will end up getting triggered and be toxic it's reality Although I can assure toxicity has gotten better over time due to good communities and people I saw a lot more toxicity 3 years ago than today.

Free PDF ... fine reading

~

Jan 5, 2019 - Ethical Studies Selected Essays by F. H. Bradley a great introduction to the works of the English philosopher. Download the PDF here for free.
ETHICAL STUDIES. Selected Essays. F. H. Bradley. With an introduction by. Ralph G. Ross. Professor of Philosophy, The University of Minnesota. The Library of ...

~

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, seanjo said:

The reason people are so "impolite" is simple, you can't get punched in the face on the internet.

The culture of politeness and good manners in the American south was nurtured by the fact that if you offended a man's dignity, he'd call you out for a duel.  Potential death has a way of focusing the mind on those magic words, please and thank you!

• Haha 2

Thank you, that's an excellent idea. :yes: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

I applaud the idea, overall.  Being respectful and learning how to rationally discuss issues online would solve a huge number of our conflicts in America.  The anonymity that the net provides seems to bring out the worst in us sometimes.  I'm guilty of it too.  I've actually been trying to moderate that so far this year.  I think I've been mostly successful.  I've decided that arguing over any topic with people who are firmly against my views is a waste of my time and energy.  I can say without any doubt that if my worst detractor on this site posted news of a sickness or family emergency, every harsh or insulting thing they ever said would be pushed aside by the basic human compassion that guides my life so why bother in pointless vitriol that I really don't mean, anyway?   We all need to vent at times but I doubt that any of us actually would want real tragedy for the people we disagree with.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1