Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britons hoarding food & meds as Brexit looms

Eldorado

One out of every six Britons has begun or is likely to start stockpiling food and medicine as worries grow that the U.K. will leave the European Union in March without a deal, a survey shows.

Consumers are taking matters into their own hands as they prepare for a parliamentary vote on Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit agreement, which appears headed for defeat. While the government puts aside more than 2 billion pounds ($2.6 billion) of funding for Brexit planning, and supermarkets and businesses stockpile goods, many households fear the effects of a chaotic EU exit.

Full report: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-15/one-in-six-britons-eyes-stockpiling-food-medicine-for-brexit

Mums on the popular parenting forum Mumsnet are preparing for a potential emergency if the UK's departure from the European Union ends in chaos.

A ‘Prepping for Brexit’ thread on the site has mums swapping tips on which food items and household goods to stockpile in case of a Brexit shortages in the supermarkets.

A mum with the username DesertCactus said she was praying a disaster doesn’t occur but was making preparations just in case including withdrawing all her family’s cash from bank accounts.

She is stocking up on medical supplies like insulin and needles as well as tinned goods, toiletries and camping equipment.

Full report: https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mumsnet-users-swaps-tips-stockpiling-2427915

People are actually buying the £300 emergency Brexit box, containing enough food for a month

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/people-are-actually-buying-the-300-brexit-box-food-shortages/

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

14 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

One out of every six Britons has begun or is likely to start stockpiling food and medicine as worries grow that the U.K. will leave the European Union in March without a deal, a survey shows.

Consumers are taking matters into their own hands as they prepare for a parliamentary vote on Prime Minister Theresa May’s Brexit agreement, which appears headed for defeat. While the government puts aside more than 2 billion pounds ($2.6 billion) of funding for Brexit planning, and supermarkets and businesses stockpile goods, many households fear the effects of a chaotic EU exit.

Full report: https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-01-15/one-in-six-britons-eyes-stockpiling-food-medicine-for-brexit

Mums on the popular parenting forum Mumsnet are preparing for a potential emergency if the UK's departure from the European Union ends in chaos.

A ‘Prepping for Brexit’ thread on the site has mums swapping tips on which food items and household goods to stockpile in case of a Brexit shortages in the supermarkets.

A mum with the username DesertCactus said she was praying a disaster doesn’t occur but was making preparations just in case including withdrawing all her family’s cash from bank accounts.

She is stocking up on medical supplies like insulin and needles as well as tinned goods, toiletries and camping equipment.

Full report: https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/mumsnet-users-swaps-tips-stockpiling-2427915

People are actually buying the £300 emergency Brexit box, containing enough food for a month

Read more at: https://inews.co.uk/news/brexit/people-are-actually-buying-the-300-brexit-box-food-shortages/

You live in Scotland but believe what you are reading? Please step outside and notice the lack of any buying hysteria.

I did a search on the internet for those £300 emergency Brexit boxes. I discovered not one (thats right not one) site selling them. Where do we purchase one of these mythical packages or are they like unicorns?

It sounds to be Bloomberg are trying to create a run on our banks and its owners own shares in our supermarkets.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, aztek said:

someone is gonna make a fortune selling those boxes. 

Sure, if they can find where to buy them from lmao

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

https://www.*** blocked ***/news/uk/1072739/brexit-news-brexit-survival-kits-300-panic-buying-toilet-paper

The express says there were 250 posts on the Mumsnet page as of this Tuesday and says 600 Brexit boxes have been sold so far. So we have 66 million people living here and they try to whip up hysteria over 250 posts and 600 sales.

Can we close this thread now? Its trash reporting by trash media.

• Haha 3
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

You live in Scotland but believe what you are reading? Please step outside and notice the lack of any buying hysteria.

I did a search on the internet for those £300 emergency Brexit boxes. I discovered not one (thats right not one) site selling them. Where do we purchase one of these mythical packages or are they like unicorns?

It sounds to be Bloomberg are trying to create a run on our banks and its owners own shares in our supermarkets.

I tried looking it up maybe i just dont have the rights to buy one since im american ._.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, RabidMongoose said:

I searched and found one straight away.

https://www.emergencyfoodstorage.co.uk/products/brexit-box

You sure you searched?

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b&q=emergency+Brexit+box

• Thanks 4

11 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Failing that, you could have found it out in the linked article in the opening post ? 

Anyway, those kits are incomplete. You also need a shotgun and a chainsaw in case we have Brexit Zombies :o 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

"Google searches for 'What to stockpile for Brexit" have increased by over 5000% in recent days, while searches for 'Brexit survival kit" and "Brexit boxes" are also skyrocketing.

This comes as Yorkshire business leaders say they have seen spike in demand for warehouse space as the region’s businesses stockpile goods.

And rumours have been circulating on social media that medicines will be in short supply with thousands of people sharing a fake flyer which claimed "The government has warned of a major interruption to the supply of medicines" warning people to "brace themselves for a gap in availability of your usual medicine".

When asked for the official advice and guidance, a spokesperson for the Department for Exiting the European Union gave a five word response.

A Government spokesperson said: "People don't need to stockpile."

Seriously, a five-word response to the fears of thousands of people."

Full Comment with links to news of local "panic": https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/this-is-the-government-s-official-response-to-brexit-stockpiling-fears-1-9544935

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, RoofGardener said:

Failing that, you could have found it out in the linked article in the opening post ? 

Anyway, those kits are incomplete. You also need a shotgun and a chainsaw in case we have Brexit Zombies :o 

You said you searched and never found a single one?  Were you lying?

And of course, this will happen in the middle of Winter, with worries of the Brexit Beast From The East and plummeting temperatures. 

Oh.. and zombies, of course. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Eldorado said:

You said you searched and never found a single one?  Were you lying?

I think you have confused me with another poster ? 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

I have indeed.  Profound apologies, sir.

:(

(Anger making me blind; as it does)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

I don’t know anyone who is panicking about Brexit, whatever form it takes.  I live in the centre of England and I am not stockpiling or worrying.  Like in the wars, there will always be those who deal in the underworld (black market goods) and excite fear of shortages as a way of causing panic buying and hoarding.  People have forgotten exactly how little you need to survive and still be healthy (war rationing proved that).  Even if the worst scaremongering turns out to have some basis in fact, we will cope.  But I think it is all just scaremongering.  Some people just like to stir up things for their own warped reasons.  I pity them.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I'm entirely relaxed about the entire thing. We will NOT have food shortages. Or at least, not in staples. 

• Like 4

Leeds firm selling 25 'Brexit boxes' of emergency food per day

A Leeds company marketing boxes of freeze-dried food in anticipation of a no-deal Brexit has reported huge demand for the emergency packages.

Emergency Food Storage UK, who have offices on Queen Square in Leeds city centre, are selling the 'Brexit box' to stockpilers for £300, and are shifting around 25 versions of the product every day since launching it last month.

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/politics/general-election/leeds-firm-selling-25-brexit-boxes-of-emergency-food-per-day-1-9537586

• Like 3

The forthcoming cold weather will be far more disruptive for most people than a no deal Brexit.  As will a meteorite impact in London (equally as likely, IMHO).   Longer term, summer's like last year could seriously impact on food supply.  And if Katla erupts in Iceland then all bets are off!

There are many reasons to stockpile - Brexit is simply the silliest.

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

I'm entirely relaxed about the entire thing. We will NOT have food shortages. Or at least, not in staples

Which is fine if you run a book binding company :P 

• Haha 2

22 minutes ago, Essan said:

The forthcoming cold weather will be far more disruptive for most people than a no deal Brexit.  As will a meteorite impact in London (equally as likely, IMHO).   Longer term, summer's like last year could seriously impact on food supply.  And if Katla erupts in Iceland then all bets are off!

There are many reasons to stockpile - Brexit is simply the silliest.

Its already snowing here in Lancashire and with the wind outside its like -5C.

1 hour ago, RoofGardener said:

Not that you could actually use either. :lol:

• Haha 2

couple of questions, how can you stockpile Meds? you'd have to convince your doctor to write additional prescriptions. and secondly, on food is this the same country were excellent and perfectly edible food is wasted daily threw in the bin, (food waste supermarkets) the same supermarkets who currently stock their shelves on the basis of a population of 80million when there is only 65 million of us. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, RoofGardener said:

:)  After all, the possibilities are endless  :w00t:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1