Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britons hoarding food & meds as Brexit looms

Eldorado

1 hour ago, Essan said:

The forthcoming cold weather will be far more disruptive for most people than a no deal Brexit.  As will a meteorite impact in London (equally as likely, IMHO).   Longer term, summer's like last year could seriously impact on food supply.  And if Katla erupts in Iceland then all bets are off!

There are many reasons to stockpile - Brexit is simply the silliest.

That was my thought as well.  Modern urban dwellers are mostly short-sighted about being prepared for problems within the system.  Anyone who can afford to have an extra few days or weeks worth of food in the house yet don't bother to do it, those are the ones who'll suffer when reality comes knocking.  We rely totally on infrastructure that is aging and in many cases, poorly maintained.  

I have no idea how dependent Britain is for food and medicines from Europe but I can see why people might be concerned if their window on the world (the Beeb) is telling them the sky might fall.  IMO, if the vote to leave the EU is overturned by simply waiting until the mood of the electorate changes and then forcing another vote, your sky already HAS fallen.  The people who are pushing to remove all sovereignty and install a single global government aren't going to stop.  America will eventually succumb to it out of pure ignorance and spite against our neighbors.  The difference here is that there will be regions that are simply ungovernable and it will be too expensive to force the issue.  They should read a little history.  We INVENTED the "wild west".

2 hours ago, Piney said:

That's one of the most stupidest things. It's the Y2K bull**** all over again. 

Surely not :D 

Yeah.. good point. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, stevewinn said:

couple of questions, how can you stockpile Meds? you'd have to convince your doctor to write additional prescriptions. and secondly, on food is this the same country were excellent and perfectly edible food is wasted daily threw in the bin, (food waste supermarkets) the same supermarkets who currently stock their shelves on the basis of a population of 80million when there is only 65 million of us. 

SteveWinn, you are missing the point. 

This is a "panic panic" thread. Stop being rational and logical :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

3 hours ago, Essan said:

The forthcoming cold weather will be far more disruptive for most people than a no deal Brexit.  As will a meteorite impact in London (equally as likely, IMHO).   Longer term, summer's like last year could seriously impact on food supply.  And if Katla erupts in Iceland then all bets are off!

There are many reasons to stockpile - Brexit is simply the silliest.

Hear hear !!! 

• Like 1

In my opinion Brexit is a bad deal for Britain, if no deal, but this sounds like knee jerk reaction at its best.  I'm sure there are enough intelligent people in the 5th economy in the world that will eventually help drift things back on track.

Where's Winston Churchill with his motivational 'we will never surrender' speech when you need him. ;)

Edited by Black Red Devil
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, stevewinn said:

couple of questions, how can you stockpile Meds? you'd have to convince your doctor to write additional prescriptions. and secondly, on food is this the same country were excellent and perfectly edible food is wasted daily threw in the bin, (food waste supermarkets) the same supermarkets who currently stock their shelves on the basis of a population of 80million when there is only 65 million of us. 

not difficult, just requires some planning-  if your doctor normally proscribes say a months supply then all you need to do is put your repeat prescription in a week early- they'd notice if you tried it every week , but a few days early probably wont get picked up . And you can put in the request a lot earlier if E.g you tell them your going on holiday so you can pretty much get a couple of months worth at once there. Certain conditions can mean you can mean you go through meds faster (if you're an asthmatic and get a chest infection for example) so you could put that down as an excuse and get another supply earlier...between now and 29th march I could easily arrange things to get a bit of a stockpile together. I won't but will probably just make sure I put my request in good time before B'day so if there is any congestion or delays in the supply line it'll have a good month or so to sort itself out before I need the next one. 

36 minutes ago, Torchwood said:

not difficult, just requires some planning-  if your doctor normally proscribes say a months supply then all you need to do is put your repeat prescription in a week early- they'd notice if you tried it every week , but a few days early probably wont get picked up . And you can put in the request a lot earlier if E.g you tell them your going on holiday so you can pretty much get a couple of months worth at once there. Certain conditions can mean you can mean you go through meds faster (if you're an asthmatic and get a chest infection for example) so you could put that down as an excuse and get another supply earlier...between now and 29th march I could easily arrange things to get a bit of a stockpile together. I won't but will probably just make sure I put my request in good time before B'day so if there is any congestion or delays in the supply line it'll have a good month or so to sort itself out before I need the next one. 

Don't forget the shortage wont happen on or before Brexit day though, if there was to be a shortage we'd know well in advance as the NHS is holding three months worth of medicines as routine. so your looking at June possibly July. but just for the record, Govt have said No shortages of medicine and the Pharma companies have said no shortage of supply from their end. Calais as stated no hold ups at their port they are ready for a no deal Brexit, and so are the channel tunnel.

I cant wait as all the myths of no deal brexit fail to materialise. its going to be a life lesson for the remoaners.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

Don't forget the shortage wont happen on or before Brexit day though, if there was to be a shortage we'd know well in advance as the NHS is holding three months worth of medicines as routine. so your looking at June possibly July. but just for the record, Govt have said No shortages of medicine and the Pharma companies have said no shortage of supply from their end. Calais as stated no hold ups at their port they are ready for a no deal Brexit, and so are the channel tunnel.

Actually SteveWinn, their COULD be shortages prior to this.... caused by people hoarding !!

13 minutes ago, stevewinn said:

I cant wait as all the myths of no deal brexit fail to materialise. its going to be a life lesson for the remoaners.

Oh BOY yes. It's going to be the Trump Election night all over again :D 

"Trump can't possibly win"

"Brexit will be a disaster"

• Haha 1

Truth is? If so many people decided to stockpile then consumer purchasing would spike and this would be reflected in monthly sales figures as an unexpected increase. Hasnt happened so the story is fake.

What would a snowflake stockpile anyway? French Brie (Gloucester Brie is superior by many accounts), Pinot Grigio / Prosecco - plenty of alternatives from the New World (which will become even cheaper after Brexit), Iberico Ham (UK produces its own as does the New World). The list is endless to be honest and your mindset has got to be so "Liberal-Luvvie" to buy over-priced, over-rated EU luxury goods because in your narrow opinion of what "quality" actually means that a few starving Remainers should be celebrated:innocent:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 1

I don't think it's apocryphal to note that Jean-Claude Junker has acquired a Thanos glove and is now able to click his fingers in such a way that all branches of Poundland, B&M and Home Bargains will vanish.

And, really, I'm not denying that Britain may face _some_ hard times in the face of our liberation.

All I can do is gloat, by saying that my company, from its inception in the late seventies, made a conscious effort not to deal with Europe and we've never been more successful.

Self-sufficiency is _possible_ and it's _good._ So, with all due respect to Fatchatteryunemployedhousewives.net ..uh, sorry, I mean Mumsnet, maybe everyone should just dig in, get a work ethic and some common sense.

• Thanks 1

I've been out stockpiling this morning only essentials 2 crates of theakstons old peculier and 4 rings of black pudding, it should keep me going for a week as long as i ration it.

• Haha 3

7 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

I've been out stockpiling this morning only essentials 2 crates of theakstons old peculier and 4 rings of black pudding, it should keep me going for a week as long as i ration it.

Good move Hetrodoxly,

I've done MY bit. I've stockpiled 8 mars bars !

• Haha 3

Britain started stockpiling last summer.

"Interviewed by Channel 5, Ms May confirmed that plans for stocking up on essential goods are underway – in case imports from the EU are cut off by clogged ports, or regulatory disputes.

But, asked it was “alarming” for people, the prime minister said: “Far from being worried about preparations that we are making, I would say that people should take reassurance and comfort from the fact that the government is saying we are in a negotiation, we are working for a good deal.

“I believe we can get a good deal, but, it’s right that we say – because we don't know what the outcome is going to be – let's prepare for every eventuality.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-stockpile-food-medicine-theresa-may-government-a8463531.html

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, Eldorado said:

Britain started stockpiling last summer.

"Interviewed by Channel 5, Ms May confirmed that plans for stocking up on essential goods are underway – in case imports from the EU are cut off by clogged ports, or regulatory disputes.

But, asked it was “alarming” for people, the prime minister said: “Far from being worried about preparations that we are making, I would say that people should take reassurance and comfort from the fact that the government is saying we are in a negotiation, we are working for a good deal.

“I believe we can get a good deal, but, it’s right that we say – because we don't know what the outcome is going to be – let's prepare for every eventuality.”

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/brexit-no-deal-stockpile-food-medicine-theresa-may-government-a8463531.html

July 2018. deep in the middle of project fear 2.0

currently where is all this food currently stored?

Last time i checked all my food was provided by private enterprise, shops and supermarkets. when did the Govt move into the market as the provider of food?

remember all the French industrial strikes, remember the two weeks of delays at the French ports. there was no food shortage. in fact the French go on strike and block the ports so often that we have a procedure called operation stack to deal with it. 

Calais has stated they are read for No Deal Brexit.

Channel Tunnel stated they are ready for No Deal in fact i got an email off them offering deals £20 to Paris. obviously after Brexit nothing is going to work, So I checked the date of April 10th guess what it was available. who'd have thought it.

See this is the problem, these are private enterprises, they are not govts they adapt to an ever changing world and its not in their interest to have delays, Channel Tunnel doesnt want delays costing them money. Calais doesnt want delays as businesses goes elsewhere and loses money and probably jobs. whose interest is it in to have delays.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Drugs companies asked to maintain a six-week stockpile for six months in the event of 'no-deal' Brexit.

Pharmaceutical companies have been asked to maintain a rolling six-week stockpile of medicines for six months in the event of a ‘no-deal’ Brexit, the government has confirmed.

The government wrote to the health and care sector, including NHS bodies and pharmaceutical companies, on 7 December 2018 revising the cross-government contingency planning assumption from six-weeks to six months to reflect “significantly reduced access across the short straits” at Dover and Folkestone.

Full report at the Pharmaceutical Journal: https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/news/drugs-companies-asked-to-maintain-a-six-week-stockpile-for-six-months-in-the-event-of-no-deal-brexit/20205908.article?

Probably all Guardian readers.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Drugs companies asked to maintain a six-week stockpile for six months in the event of 'no-deal' Brexit.

Pharmaceutical companies have been asked to maintain a rolling six-week stockpile of medicines for six months in the event of a ‘no-deal’ Brexit, the government has confirmed.

The government wrote to the health and care sector, including NHS bodies and pharmaceutical companies, on 7 December 2018 revising the cross-government contingency planning assumption from six-weeks to six months to reflect “significantly reduced access across the short straits” at Dover and Folkestone.

Full report at the Pharmaceutical Journal: https://www.pharmaceutical-journal.com/news-and-analysis/news/drugs-companies-asked-to-maintain-a-six-week-stockpile-for-six-months-in-the-event-of-no-deal-brexit/20205908.article?

Here we go again, and the Pharma companies said No, and told the Govt to behave itself.

Are Dover and Folkstone the only ports in the UK. No, but to some in the media they are. there is plenty of capacity at a number of UK ports who'll be only to happy and pleased with the extra business.

Its really sad to see the lack of understanding in the media by journalists, ill informed and just chasing a narrative.

Its like school kids who don't know bacon comes from a pig, its the same with journalists with trade.

In work we export to every country in the world 80% of what we make we export. I've asked our admin, how will we export to the EU post Brexit, simply ticking two extra boxes on the declaration form. its electronically filed and sent before they've even left the holding facility.

What about these queues at the border for checks. Its simple, all Customs are checked away from the border. Do people know the HMRC customs computer system is based in the Midlands.

Currently the majority of our trade 56% of non EU trade passes through UK ports with little to no delay. with only 1.3% of imports physically checked at the port. it takes an average of 3 seconds to clear customs. it takes the lorry driver longer climbing into his cab.

So its clear there are going to be no delays entering the UK.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Hoarding for Brexit sparks race for warehouse space in Britain.

In a vast warehouse complex 40 miles north of London, staff are wrestling with ways to cram in more goods after a surge in demand from companies building stockpiles ahead of Brexit."

Full article at Reuters: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-warehousing-insight/hoarding-for-brexit-sparks-race-for-warehouse-space-in-britain-idUKKBN1O41Y2

"Bastidon added that warehousing in the southeast region is already at capacity, particularly for perishable foods, while it is already too late to consider building more capacity and as nearly one fifth of the staff in warehouses in the UK are EU nationals and there is already a staff shortage."

Full report at Freight Waves: https://www.freightwaves.com/news/markets/brexit-delay-boost-warehouse-capacity

13 minutes ago, Eldorado said:

Hoarding for Brexit sparks race for warehouse space in Britain.

In a vast warehouse complex 40 miles north of London, staff are wrestling with ways to cram in more goods after a surge in demand from companies building stockpiles ahead of Brexit."

Full article at Reuters: https://uk.reuters.com/article/us-britain-eu-warehousing-insight/hoarding-for-brexit-sparks-race-for-warehouse-space-in-britain-idUKKBN1O41Y2

"Bastidon added that warehousing in the southeast region is already at capacity, particularly for perishable foods, while it is already too late to consider building more capacity and as nearly one fifth of the staff in warehouses in the UK are EU nationals and there is already a staff shortage."

Full report at Freight Waves: https://www.freightwaves.com/news/markets/brexit-delay-boost-warehouse-capacity

excellent boosting the UK economy. expect 2%+ growth in GDP in Q3.

On the way into work at 5am there was a piece on this on BBC radio, wake up to money. they where in the North East saying about stockpiling by a number of companies they tried to spin it as being a disaster, until one of the CEO's from Reid steel highlighted the fact it shows confidence as raw materials are stored for future production and a healthy order book.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Goly, I'm sending humanitarian help to UK. /sarcasm off

Brits, do you really stockpile food supplies? Be honest.

22 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Goly, I'm sending humanitarian help to UK. /sarcasm off

Brits, do you really stockpile food supplies? Be honest.

Send Brandy. WE NEED BRANDY !

And Beer ! Lots of it. 

• Haha 1

27 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Send Brandy. WE NEED BRANDY !

And Beer ! Lots of it.

Nah, won't send alcohol, only buckweat, wheat and milk.

;)

PS, I think about sending Varniukų beer. Deal?

Edited by bmk1245
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, bmk1245 said:

Nah, won't send alcohol, only buckweat, wheat and milk.

;)

PS, I think about sending Varniukų beer. Deal?

What on EARTH is buckweat ? 

• Haha 1

Ooooooh.... Varniukų beer.... a Lithuanian speciality, I believe ?