Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Britons hoarding food & meds as Brexit looms

Eldorado

Well all I need to survive is Aberdeen Angus steaks and whisky.

So, as long as Scotland remains in the UK I'm gonna be just fine :D   

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, RoofGardener said:

Ooooooh.... Varniukų beer.... a Lithuanian speciality, I believe ? 

Yeap, and its waaay above other beers ;)

Just now, bmk1245 said:

Yeap, and its waaay above other beers ;)

Weeeeell... strictly speaking, it is an Ale, not a Beer ? 

2 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Weeeeell... strictly speaking, it is an Ale, not a Beer ? 

Well, it is a beer. 'Alus' is 'alus', no matter how you call it.

1 minute ago, bmk1245 said:

Well, it is a beer. 'Alus' is 'alus', no matter how you call it.

Hmmm... fair enough :)

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Essan said:

Well all I need to survive is Aberdeen Angus steaks and whisky.

So, as long as Scotland remains in the UK I'm gonna be just fine :D   

Dammit, I'm drooling. /< bmk1245 runs to check the fridge

4 minutes ago, RoofGardener said:

Hmmm... fair enough :)

Sadly, one of the kind of beers - 'raudonų dobilų' (red clover) - disappeared :cry:

You plonkers i knew it would cause more problems than you would actually benefit from leaving. Now people might not get their meds which is pretty serious. The finance centra will leave London and people loose their jobs from companies leaving England. Brexit wont fix immigrant problems and now IRA might find reasons to break their treaty ? Who knows it's all one huge mess i guess only time will tell. Good on ya!

I now hope Scotland leaves the uk :-D just to make a statement and to be a sore thumb up your khyber pass im disappointed at you Britons 

Edited by Impedancer

I'm hoarding Terrifying Scare Stories about Brexit, so I can chuckle at them, when of course none of them come true. 

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Impedancer said:

I now hope Scotland leaves the uk :-D just to make a statement and to be a sore thumb up your khyber pass im disappointed at you Britons 

That's a very mature and sophisticated attitude of you. Why do you feel so bitter and vindictive towards what another country wishes to do? 

58 minutes ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

I'm hoarding Terrifying Scare Stories about Brexit, so I can chuckle at them, when of course none of them come true. 

whenever you point out or ask questions to these scare stories, you cant get a reply. 

There is absolutely no evidence whatsoever there will be food shortages, or Medicine shortages

The premise is all based around delays at the border. how long do these people think the delays are going to be minutes, hours, days, months, years?

When it comes to the UK's side there's going to be no delays on entering the UK. so whose going to delay or stop traffic on the EU's side? anyone tell us whose going to be stopping the traffic?

When it comes to going back the other way - UK to Europe 80% of all lorries are foreign owned, so any delays or costs is going to disproportionately affect EU registered firms. then we have the fact that 3 out of every 4 lorries going back to Europe does so empty.

So, someone somewhere please tell us why where going to have delays and which private enterprises, eg: be it food producers or Pharma companies have any of them said they will be unable to fulfil their contracts? please tell us who said that medication is going to be stopped/banned for export?

Its absolutely bonkers the way people fall for such crap.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Impedancer said:

You plonkers i knew it would cause more problems than you would actually benefit from leaving. Now people might not get their meds which is pretty serious. The finance centra will leave London and people loose their jobs from companies leaving England. Brexit wont fix immigrant problems and now IRA might find reasons to break their treaty ? Who knows it's all one huge mess i guess only time will tell. Good on ya!

Cow poo, the Scots are Britons they decided to keep the union 'they' started going with a vote, IRA unlike Sweden we don't give in to the threats of violence,

2 hours ago, Vlad the Mighty said:

That's a very mature and sophisticated attitude of you. Why do you feel so bitter and vindictive towards what another country wishes to do? 

Yes it was kind of stupid of me to say that i wish Scotland left the UK what worries me is that countries in Eurupe is becoming more nationalistic and the nationalistic right wing parties is gaining more and more popularity and power across Europe. One of the main goals of the EU is to preserve the peace and as the world is right now its important that we work together. 

Edited by Impedancer

58 minutes ago, hetrodoxly said:

Cow poo, the Scots are Britons they decided to keep the union 'they' started going with a vote, IRA unlike Sweden we don't give in to the threats of violence,

That is fake news made by people that call themself friends of Sweden. Sweden is not giving in to threats. 

A thread related News item, for any interested:

Brexit Bullion: Worried Irish hoarding gold

In a vault under the streets of Dublin a pot of gold owned by anxious investors is growing every day Britain edges closer to leaving the European Union without a deal.

“They’re worried about a significant devaluation in sterling if there’s a hard Brexit,” said Seamus Fahy.

Fahy is co-founder of Merrion Vaults, a gold brokerage and safe deposit facility in the centre of the Irish capital.

Full article: http://manilastandard.net/news/world-news/285717/brexit-bullion-worried-irish-hoarding-gold.html

I`m going to go against the prevailing flawed and biased logic and say we will boom following a hard Brexit. And it will undermine the trust the people have towards politicians. The remainers which to remain for ideological reasons and are convincing themselves any old bull that says Brexit will be a doomsday is true.

3 hours ago, Impedancer said:

That is fake news made by people that call themself friends of Sweden. Sweden is not giving in to threats. 

I thought you'd be making a 'declaration of neutrality'

1 hour ago, hetrodoxly said:

I thought you'd be making a 'declaration of neutrality'

Exactly :-D 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Some related news.... big names write to MPs.

"Sainsbury's, Co-Op, Lidl and KFC warn of food shortages and empty shelves under no-deal Brexit."

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/sainsburys-coop-lidl-and-kfc-could-run-out-of-food-under-no-deal-brexit-retail-chiefs-warn-a4050756.html

"Signatories to the letter include senior executives from Sainsbury's, Asda, Marks & Spencer, Lidl, Waitrose, The Co-op and Costcutter.

The letter to MPs was also signed by bosses from McDonald's, KFC and Pret A Manger.

They warned: "We are extremely concerned that our customers will be among the first to experience the realities of a no-deal Brexit."

https://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/17390703.mps-warned-about-risk-of-no-deal-brexit-to-food-supplies/

On 2019-01-19 at 4:38 PM, RoofGardener said:

What on EARTH is buckweat ? 

Some kind of seed, i guess yuck :D

19 hours ago, Eldorado said:

They warned: "We are extremely concerned that our customers will be among the first to experience the realities of a no-deal Brexit."

As always, it will be the poorest people that face any shortages. There will be ample Foie Gras in Kensington & Mayfair.

;)

Edited by acute
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, acute said:

As always, it will be the poorest people that face any shortages. There will be ample Foie Gras in Kensington & Mayfair.

;)

DUP's Sammy Wilson says people should 'go to the chippy' in event of Brexit food shortages.

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/news/northern-ireland/dups-sammy-wilson-says-people-should-go-to-the-chippy-in-event-of-brexit-food-shortages-37762888.html

So the people buying these boxes, are they the ones who believe all our food comes from abroad? 

Lets stop sending lamb to saudi arabia and for the veggies here, start supporting the British farmers. 

We  have too much tasteless tomatoes and fruit which goes bad before it ripens and tinned products from abroad.

Maybe now the British people will start buying healthy fresh foods, because there is some rubbish on the supermarket shelves.

Too much foriegn fruit and veg when we should be growing our a the correct time of the year.

• Like 1